Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Printer cartridges
  • Stoner
    Free Member

are remanufactured/non-OEM cartridges a false economy?

£6ish for an HP compatible black cartridge on eBay, £13 for a genuine HP OEM one.

Ive bought both in the past, but never really noticed whether they last the same length of time or not – I guess I dont do much printing. Should I care much?

Sorry. It’s a dull day here today. It’s posts like this or I have to go to the “Unemployment is down” thread, and none of us wants that….

maccruiskeen

If the cheap ones aren’t letting you down then they’re fine. You’ll get the most likelihood of disappointment if you’re printing something important (as in the appearance is important – not printing a patent application or your plea to the court)- I had some compatible canon ones that couldn’t print red strongly in dark pictures – imagine you had a night sky with red fireworks – those fireworks would be dark brown. If you just print invoices, shopping lists, a bit of os map for a ride – file-away and throw-away stuff- cheap cartridges are fine. Image quality or longevity – go OEM

In economic terms I’ve had more issues with OEM HP ones (usually expensive, 3 colour, XL capacity ones) just suddenly refusing to work. So paying for expensive ink and then not being able to use it all. So I’ve canned the HP for everything except high volume draft printing with fake inks, and getting better MPG.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers for that.

Ill get a pocket full of refurb ones then again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hels
    Free Member

I was in the Giant ASDA the other day (the shame) and they are selling for £5 packs of ink with needles and syringes for re-filling existing cartridges. I will definitely be giving that a go, feel raped every time I buy a new printer cartridge. And my printer has a habit of randomly rejecting cartridges that I am sure are new. It’s as big a racket/gouge as car insurance.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id use refill inks on original cartridges, but not on these refurb’d ones I have here as they already look fairly ropey.

leffeboy

I gave in on inkjets in the end as if you are only printing a page occasionally I was getting less that 100 pages a cartridge :(. Cheap laser in the end – winner

Stoner
    Free Member

I have both. I have a cheap laser (HP 1028, cost about £30, brilliant, reliable bit of kit). But also have a 3in1 inkjet.

Id love to have a small footprint 3in1 colour laser printer with duplex and sheetfeeder….but a bit pricey for my needs 🙂

leffeboy

Yep. That’s what I did in the end but bought a Brother as I hate HP printers with a passion. Also found a way of putting the bigger cartridges in the cheap printer rather than the half filled ones they try and limit you to to make up for the cheaper printer 🙂

metal_leg
    Free Member

Stung by HP cartridges from ASDA last night. Two out of four were rejected by the printer with a “Cartridge is for older generation printer” error. HP kept the part number the same but changed the programming on the cartridge chip to stop cartridge re-cycling. Microchips? On a plastic tub of ink?

maccruiskeen

good afternoon spam bot

Cougar

Reported.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Printer cartridges’ is closed to new replies.