Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Prince – What Is The Big Deal?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Spoke to a few people and have seen a few articles about him in the papers recently.

I like his music, but I’d rather see The Pixies. I didn’t realise how many people covered his stuff though.

So what, really, is the big deal about him?

bol

Enigmatic multi-instrumentalist who’s successfully reinvented himself several times and written some of the best popsongs I can think of. I’ve never seen him, but would like to.

sparkyrhino

not too shaby with a guitar either

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

There was a good doc on BBC4 a year or two back that you’ll find on a google called ‘Prince – a purple reign’ which will give a good summary.

Incredibly prolific (if with suspect ability to self edit) and talented, brilliant live performer. I saw him at the O2 (7 years ago already? really?) and it was fantastic. Really hoping he’s on the Glasto bill this year. Nile Rogers did say he’d sort it out.

A good excuse to repost this- prince solo from 3.25 – just amazing. [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y[/video]

speckledbob
    Free Member

Excellent solo by Prince but where does his guitar end up?

scotroutes

The angels look after it for him

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I get the multi-instrumentalist bit, but he is not the only musician who can do that.

The re-invention. Is that really a big deal? A lot of musicians have managed that as well. Some have managed longevity with the same old shit, which is arguably as hard?

Maybe all will be revealed if I see him live. Is his new material worth listening to?

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF? Whocaught the guitar?

stuey
    Free Member

Mephistopheles – same guy who gave him the pick

chakaping
    Free Member

I saw him at the O2 as well – and went from being a casual fan to rating him up there with the best.

He’s just an amazing and dedicated live performer, so much energy and infectiously fun.

I remember he was introducing his backing players about halfway through the (lengthy) gig and repeated the horn player’s name a few times before I caught it.

“Ah Maceo,” I thought, “like Maceo Parker”.

“Oh hang on, that is Maceo Parker.”

ji
    Free Member

Just for counter balance….

Saw him at Wembley arena years ago, and it still ranks as the worst gig I have ever been to. After 2 or 3 numbers most of the audience sat down in their seats, by half way through people started leaving. We left after about90 minutes. Absolutely dreadful.

mikey74
    Free Member

I imagine the roadie who held him up during the solo caught it. You can see the neck of it as the camera pans out right at the end.

I get the multi-instrumentalist bit, but he is not the only musician who can do that.

You are forgetting that “special something” that the very best have, but no one can really explain.

I’ve never been a fan but I admire him as a musician and performer.

hora
    Free Member

Pixies? Where is yourmind?

They were a 3album flash in the pan.shit now

I remember buying Prince Lovesexy when I was 12 and loving it but felt a wee bit uncomfortable with his lyrics 😆

warton
    Free Member

Give this a go, Prince – small club

or this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLhonLw7hQ0[/video]

racefaceec90

just don’t lend him your guitar http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=794824 🙁

fantastic musician though 🙂

CountZero

hora – Member
    Pixies? Where is yourmind?

They were a 3album flash in the pan.shit now

Sorry, but that’s bollocks. The Pixies I’m hearing on the radio, and who’s two current EP’s I’ve bought have the drive and vitality they’ve always had. One band I really, really want to see live.
    I love the way their current track, Blue Eyed Hexe is channeling their inner AC/DC, and doing it better than Accadacca ever did.
    And you can’t be a ‘flash-in-the-pan’ across three albums and seven years.

Northwind

He’s a magnificent guitarist, but there’s not many of his own songs I’d listen to from choice tbh. I do like a bit of a cheesy power ballad though

jodafett

I’m a huge fan but will admit, as a recording artist he has been pretty lame since the mid-ninties. But as a live artist he is still an utter genius. I’ve never heard him play the same song the same way twice. His onstage improv, along with his band, is fantastic.

codybrennan
    Free Member

CY- get yourself a copy of ‘Parade’, and spin it a few times. It will maybe give you an idea of why he’s so revered. He’s always been better with a band to reign him in a little, I have to say.

BTW- its “Pixies”, not “The Pixies”.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Prince – What Is The Big Deal?’ is closed to new replies.