Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Prince Philip…. embarrassing or amusing?
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

Honest?
    Misunderstood?
    Unfortunate?
    Out of touch?
    Embarrassingly amusing?

jon1973
    Free Member

“How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?”

Asked of a Scottish driving instructor in 1995

Pure class.

mrben100
    Free Member

As an outsider – amusing.

As a relative – I should imagine pretty embarrassing (but deep down still amusing)! 😀

Tango-Man
    Free Member

. “Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?” To a wheelchair-bound Susan Edwards, and her guide dog Natalie in 2002.

Classic

molgrips
    Free Member

Both!

phil.w
    Free Member

“I wish he’d turn the microphone off!” The Prince expresses his opinion of Elton John’s performance at the 73rd Royal Variety Show.
    “Oh! You are the people ruining the rivers and the environment.” To three young employees of a Scottish fish farm at Holyrood Palace in 1999.
    “So you’re responsible for the kind of crap Channel Four produces!” Speaking to then chairman of the channel, Michael Bishop, in 1962

Slightly too honest, but amusing with it.

philconsequence
    Free Member

was channel 4 even about in ’62? i thought it was late 80’s ?

jon1973
    Free Member

yes, it was the 80s.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

We should have a lot more like him, genius

toys19
    Free Member

I like him, gaffes are just bollocks interpretation by the press, the rest of us see it has honest statements/jokes/rudeness/plainspeaking. The man is entitled to free speech.

z1ppy

Yep I like him, half of the rubbish on that page is just that, rubbish the other half is just the plain honesty with a touch of humor (pushing it occasionally).

Cougar

I think if I were Prince Philip, I’d be a poster boy for Not Giving A Shit as well.

Haze

Bang on the money about Stoke though.

philconsequence
    Free Member

I think if I were Prince Philip, I’d be a poster boy for Not Giving A Shit as well.

+1

McHamish
    Free Member

I think he has a bit of a wicked sense of humour. He probably chuckles to himself each time he makes these statements.

Nothing wrong with that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The man is entitled to free speech.

Not whilst we are paying his wages and he is represnting this country he aint. when he pays his own way and for his own castle and servants then he can have free speech until then he is at work apparently.

Hugely out of touch with reality for obvious reasons and makes some crass comments amongst some witty ish ones that are an attempt at humour

“People usually say that after a fire it is water damage that is the worst. We are still drying out Windsor Castle.” To survivors of the Lockerbie bombings in 1993.

“A few years ago, everybody was saying we must have more leisure, everyone’s working too much. Now that everybody’s got more leisure time they are complaining they are unemployed. People don’t seem to make up their minds what they want.” A man of the people shares insight into the recession that gripped Britain in 1981

5thElefant
    Free Member

He is both. And a god too.

Which is even better than being king.

Lifer
    Free Member

He’s an arse.

backhander
    Free Member

Brilliant +1.
    I’m quite happy for my tax to be going towards that man.

yossarian
    Free Member

31. “Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?” In the Cayman Islands, 1994.

toys19
    Free Member

Not whilst we are paying his wages and he is representing this country he aint. when he pays his own way and for his own castle and servants then he can have free speech until then he is at work apparently.

I think this is tongue in cheek on your part JY?

Hairychested
    Free Member

He’s a genius, an old-fashioned genius of a comedian flows through his veins. I would love to hear him comment on London2012 Olympic Games.

konabunny
    Free Member

He’s a ****. Expropriation now.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

82. “I thought it was against the law these days for a woman to solicit.” Said to a woman solicitor.

meehaja
    Free Member

My Mum went for dinner at Sandhurst with liz and Phil once, bit of a do.. Anyway, parked out front are all the Bentleys, Mercs, Rollers a few Astons and my Mums MX5. A group of people are checking out the cars, get to my Mums and laugh, to which big Phil comments “they might laugh at your car, but I bet they don’t think you’re a prick for driving it” (or words to that effect as the story changes every time my mum tells it).

Junkyard
    Free Member

I wont be asking you for the lottery numbers this week

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Embarrassing animated cadaver reaching the end of a pointless life spent generating the next set of parasites and trailing after his wife on holidays at the taxpayer’s expense.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

PS: Oh yes, and getting whipped by prostitutes when he wasn’t shagging Joanna Lumley.

LHS
    Free Member

LOL, some of those are hilarious!!

wheelz
    Free Member

when he wasn’t shagging Joanna Lumley

He’s gone up even further in my estimation now…

mogrim

He’s gone up even further in my estimation now…

+1

Still, we’ve got Harry to look forward to. Hopefully he’ll be keeping us amused for the next 50 odd years.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

😀 PMSL @ :

“And what exotic part of the world do you come from?” Asked in 1999 of Tory politician Lord Taylor of Warwick, whose parents are Jamaican. He replied: “Birmingham.”

He should have his own half hour weekly show on the telly imo.

Milkie
    Free Member

He is a legend!

Now if he went on Britain’s Got Talent as a standup I think he would win! 😀

Pauly

I think he would be a brilliant dinner guest.

As much as I am not a monarchist, I think he’s the best of the lot.

epicyclo

Just be grateful someone has the balls to say what they think these days.

(And I’m not a fan of royals)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

be grateful someone has the balls to say what they think

Less to do with “balls” and more to do with “he can get away with it” ……. I hazard to guess.

One thing Prince Philip never has to worry about, is losing his rather well paid job. Of course being an arrogant fecker who doesn’t give a monkeys undoubtedly helps.

busydog
    Free Member

Being here in the US, I don’t read/hear enough of the Prince’s comments to catch a lot of the gaffes, but those I have heard can be quite amusing—-at present we have our own Vice President Biden who manages to get his foot implanted in his mouth so often that it has become quite entertaining.

steve_b77
    Free Member

“If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she isn’t interested.” Of his daughter, Princess Anne.

Brilliant, he’d be great company in short bursts if you weren’t related to him 😀

Cougar

61. “So you’re responsible for the kind of crap Channel Four produces!” Speaking to then chairman of the channel, Michael Bishop, in 1962.

Had he swapped the royal coach for a DeLorean?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Prince Philip…. embarrassing or amusing?’ is closed to new replies.