Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Prince Albert Fork recommendations
  • sdsplus
    Free Member

Got to be the best place to ask “which forks for a Prince Albert?”
    Looking @ Pikes as an obvious choice mainly because of adjustment. Interested to hear how they behave @ 140
    All suggestions and experiences welcome & apologies if already done to death in previous topics.

Ta

jim
    Free Member

Menjas here which seem to work ok, can’t say I’m ever left wishing for more adjustability.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

pikes were ace, revs too short/shit

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

dont often hear “revs are too short/shit” type comments.

I’m currently building up my 2nd PA (1st was stolen) and gone for bolt through Revs, 140mm travel and lighter than Pikes. £100 cheaper too. Depends what you’re using the bike for most though I guess?

carbon337
    Free Member

what they like with a recon 351 uturn – at 130mm? anyone?

rOcKeTdOg

revs are spot on, 140mm fox’s felt too long

carbon337
    Free Member

When we are on the PA subject I was looking at the geometry and compared it against a boardman comp 09, mine is an 08 with the recon uturns. It turns out they have the same geometry as a PA. Would I benefit anything from swapping over to a PA – extra weight of the steel but more flex maybe?

I fancy a new frame either a chameleon or handjob or PA (cheapest option) – but not sure i will get anything more than what i get out of my current frame – maybe just extra strength when boming red/blacks at trail centres?

Opinions?

sdsplus
    Free Member

Menjas are now looking like a good option. Anyone else rate them? Thanks for all response thus far

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have Menjas on mine. Seems very plush, and also stiff enough, despite having normal QR.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Run pikes on mine and they are fine. Tend to run them at 120-130mm though. At 140 the bike just doesn’t quite feel as responsive as it does with them wound down 10mm. Nice to have the option of the extra 10mm for steeper descents though.

Pippin
    Free Member

Pikes on mine. Have the front end set up on with oversize wideish bars and short vice stem which really complements the bolt through. Very very very stiff! Run it somewhere around 115 mm for a lot of trail riding. 90 mm for long climbs and wind out to 140 mm for steep or jumpy. Great hooligan of a bike, loves to be muscled around and generally thrashed.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I run 130mm revs on mine and the geometry is great, any longer would be too much, the bike is already very stable at speed, longer fork would mibby make it too much work in slower tight stuff. If I was going to swap forks (and I may, very soon) I would go for the new bolt through Revs for extra stiffness as I can feel a bit of flex when really going for it at the moment. Although I probably wouldn’t run them at full length.

337, the PA is imo a better bike than my previous Handjob. In comparison the HJ felt very nervous at speed and over rocks, albeit better in slow tech stuff. PA better by a mile round the likes of GT and Innerleithen XC/DH, especially when it gets steep.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

3rd the menja’s

only downside is the lockout, its a lockout, nothing more clever than that despite what magura try and say.

I’f youve ever ridden old (pre 2002) marzocchi coil forks you’ll be right at home, spring rate, rebound, thats it. Very very very plush, very stiff for a QR fork (my old Z1FR’s were stiffer, but also about 1.5″ taller and 1.5lb heavier!) certainly as stiff as they need to be which is lot stiffer than soem of the competition. And light, not the lightest, but close enough.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Prince Albert Fork recommendations’ is closed to new replies.