Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Prince Albert Classic (853) – worth it over the 725 version??
  • Hallsy
    Free Member

Yesterday I was ready to make an impulse buy on one a Prince Albert Classic. I’ve been thinking about replacing my Trailstar LT for a little while and now feels like the right time, lol!

Thing is, I went home, had a little read around, etc and tbh, I’m now left wondering whether the 853 version is worth the extra over a second hand 725 frame.

From reading some reviews, it sounds like the frame didn’t really get much lighter for using the 853, so basically became stronger, yet the original frame is already strong enough (four broken frames since 2004??) – so now I’m wondering if I should get over wanting a brand new frame (I’ve always had used in the past), and just save a few quid and look out for a lightly used 725 version.

Has anyone ridden both, who could maybe pass judgement??

sv

The 853 is cheaper at the minute, its hard to find on the dialled site but google it. £250 for the 853 until next Friday.

Hallsy
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s what inspired me to go for it this month. I was looking at, the standard 725 version for £295, then noticed the deal on 853 version.

But still, a good 725 frame second hand would be what, £150? Still a fair saving.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tacopowell
    Free Member

£250 for the 853 until next Friday.

I’ve not ridden the 853 but that sounds pretty good to me!

I’m sure which ever you choose, you won’t be disappointed!

sv

Pixie dust is expensive 🙂

I would go second hand.

RustySpanner

It’s 128 Reynoldses betterer.

Of course it’s worth it.

Hallsy
    Free Member

Haha!!!

I must admit, last night it was the ‘oooh, nice shiny new frame’ taking hold of me, but I’ve bought plenty of near mint second hand stuff in the past, and whatever I save will go towards any other bits that I want to upgrade (forks, brakes, etc).

On a side note, I’m hoping that I’ve made the right choice.

I’m coming from an ’05 Trailstar LT that I have had for a three years or so, and I loved it, but lately haven’t been riding as much, and when I did I was lazy and just took my NRS. I want to get out to more decent trail centres again this year, so building a new bike seems like a good incentive!!

Only thing I would fault the Trailstar LT on, is that at times it felt a little cramped/short for me, fine when ‘on it’, but any amount of long grdual climbs, or long rides, and it would become more obvious. Looking at the specs, it seems that a 17″ PA will give me that little bit more comfort, but still be a hoot to ride. Hopefully!

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ve just acquired a PA mk1 frame…. hoping to build it up this weekend..

avdave2

The higher the number of the tube set the better the bike. The lower the number of the bike the better the bike. You see it all makes perfect sense.

terrahawk
    Free Member

250 for a brand new 853 frame is a bargain.

brokensoul
    Free Member

250 for a brand new 853 frame is a bargain.

+1

SOAP
    Free Member

Ive had a 520 version for a month now and its bloody great 🙂
    Thought about a £250 853 version but how would it be better?
    Can someone explain?

Hallsy, the review you will have read is for the first 853 version of the Prince Albert, not the new Prince Albert Classic. There haven’t been any reviews of the Classic, which is the current 853 version of the Prince Albert.

I thought I had sold all of the Reynolds 725 Prince Alberts, but unearthed 1 x 17″ one, and a few 15.5″ ones in the warehouse move, so if you don’t want to stretch to £250 for an 853 frame, these last few 725 frames are cheaper.

LoCo
    Free Member

They’re both ace, the 853 classic just feels a bit more lively/springy in a non flexy way if that makes sence.
    It give more confidence on faster rougher stuff and also jumps more confidently.
    I’ve had a Mk1, Mk2 and currently have a Classic (large) that’s built up with xt revelation (120mm reduced) and pro3/crests and weighs 26.2 with heavy pedals. Lovely bike 😀

DSC_0241 by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

In heavier spec. with forks at 130mm and with pro2/819 wheels, big brakes etc

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

<hijack sorry> Hi Mike, whats the latest on the PA29?

P.S. I have a 17″ 853 Classic and agree with Loco above – fantastic do everything frame, you won’t be disappointed.

jon, I was revising the drawings yesterday. Toying with the idea of doing a normal BB and an EBB version of the PA29.

New Alpine needs to be produced first. Then the 29’ers.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

cheers Mike 🙂

richc
    Free Member

when are the new alpines due?

Alpines go into production in about 3 weeks, Rich. Hopefully land them August/September time.

I’ll announce sort some kind of pre-order deal once I get the move out of the way at the end of the month.

SOAP
    Free Member

Ordered a 853 on Friday in the same colour as my 520 version. (she will never know) 🙂
    So will have a 17″ 520 frame for sale soon.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Soap how much are you thinking for your 520? I had a 853 PA on pre order but had to cancel because I was skint.

richc
    Free Member

Cool, any idea how much will the pre-order alpines be? Also am I right in my belief that it will take a dropper post?

If so I will replace my Alpine that I got off here, as I believe its one of the original prototypes

Also the just for the vain, any idea on what colours?

nevertoomanybikes
    Free Member

Anyone got size views for these frames? I’m 6ft, reckoning could get away with the 17but not sure if it is going to just look like too much seat post…..they seem pretty long anyway.

DougD

I’ve got the 17 inch 725 PA, also 6ft and it fits perfectly

richc
    Free Member

I had one of the original 853 PA’s, and I got a large (19) and I found it a bit big (and I am 6’2″) so I switched it for a Mk1 PA in 17″ and that was fun but a little bit small.

So all in all not much help 🙂

At 6ft I would get the 17 TBH, but I like smaller size bikes.

LoCo
    Free Member

6’3″ and a large is only just big enough, layback post up high etc.

photo by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

XC spec. now 😀

nevertoomanybikes
    Free Member

I was thinking it might be more fun on the small side. Is there much variance with the length of headtubes between the two?

Guessing most people are running 70mm stems with 120mm forks?

SOAP
    Free Member

I got the frame today and just finished building it.
    Defo feels lighter than the 520 version.
    5’10” on a 17″ with 140mm vanillas and 50mm stem.
    Cannot wait till the weekend.

kayak23

Soap, that is blummin lovely.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Prince Albert Classic (853) – worth it over the 725 version??’ is closed to new replies.