Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Prince
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

AFKAP, etc, is he a musical genius?

I watched the (rather good) BBC (I think) documentary on him and his creative outpourings and began to wonder how much I may have missed out on in his ‘post label’ era.
    Fascinating to hear about how much material he’s deleted on a whim, and just how much he churns out in his studio on a regular basis.

Several of his 80’s hits could pretty much define the decade for me, and there were a couple of pretty good tracks in the early 90’s… but from a 35+ year career i’d hope for a little a bit more if to be crowned a ‘great’.

I respect the way he treads his own path, and I dig his grooves. But, Is there much more worth digging in to?

If so, pray tell.

Sandwich

A genius and plays a mean guitar from some of the videos I have seen on you Tube.

votchy
    Free Member

Insecure and an 4rse to work with, fires people left right and centre on a whim. Musically undoubtedly talented.

brassneck

Around the world in a day.

Prince – all vocals and instruments, except where noted

He’s certainly up there, and I like what he does. Have his new album but have lost my Superddirve so haven’t ripped it to listen yet!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Imp of the Perverse.

BoardinBob

I was never a fan in his heyday but I’ve seen him live twice over the last few years and he is an unbelievable performer, musician and songwriter and most surprisingly, one of the best guitarists I’ve ever seen. Definitely a bit odd off stage but I can’t stress how great he is live.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Genius with the ability to knock quality songs out on an almost daily basis. Purple Rain and Sign of the Times were his big main stream hits but grab any of his albums and you’ll most likely find a few tracks you like. Watched him live last year and he’s not lost any of his musical or dancing gifts.
    Same can’t be said of his videos with crap like Graffiti Bridge.

Kryton57

A genius and plays a mean guitar from some of the videos I have seen on you Tube.

I*’m not a big Prince fan, but was blown away by his last concert at the O2.

Rates second best to MJB in my experience.

tang
    Free Member

‘The cross’ live, one of the best live things I’ve seen.

Speshpaul

I think he has tried to work on his attitude in recent times.
    His warm up gig in a club in London was fan club only and filled up in minutes. He played his set then asked everyone to leave as there was enough people outside to fill the club again.
    Played second set. Fair play.

sc-xc

I’m a consultant and i like Prince. My mate’s a project manager and he likes Prince too.

racefaceec90

a bloody genius as far as i’m concerned.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Little Red Corvette, class!!

Marin
    Free Member

Yes he is in answer to the question.

SaxonRider

I was once an extra in a film shot in a nightclub in Minneapolis owned by Prince.

You’re welcome.

ji
    Free Member

For an alternative view…Saw him live at Wembley sometime in the 90s and it was the worst gig I have ever been to. He mumbled and jammed through the set, and played nothing anyone recognised. People sat down after 10 minutes, and when we left over half the seats were empty. Not bothered since.

CountZero

ji – Member
    For an alternative view…Saw him live at Wembley sometime in the 90s and it was the worst gig I have ever been to. He mumbled and jammed through the set, and played nothing anyone recognised. People sat down after 10 minutes, and when we left over half the seats were empty. Not bothered since.

Twenty-odd years ago?
    Things might actually have moved on a bit, you know.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Things might actually have moved on a bit, you know.

Whilst at his supposed peak. That’s a pretty poor showing by anyone’s standards. I think he’s probably within his rights to hold a 20 year grudge

CheesybeanZ

Absolutely brilliant live 8)

choppersquad
    Free Member

He’s an arse.
    Crap music.
    Massive (don’t even look at me ) ego.
    Sorry.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Prince’ is closed to new replies.