Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Prima BMX cranks. replace or alternative. help.
  • redthunder
    Free Member

I have got the job of fixing the GF’s bmx.

Unfortunagly the pedal has mashed the threaded insert on the right hand crank.

I cant find a replacement right prima 175mm square taper (could be powerbites 1).

Any recommendations for sourcing one or replacement crank set. Are bmx bottom brackets all the same size?

I sort some photos out later.

Many thanks,

RT

sillyoldman

The crank interface is unique to Primo Powerbite/Hollowbite cranks – most use splined axles.

Very very early Primos used a 19mm diameter axle, but most use 22mm axles.

Pull out the axle and measure it – you can get 48T spline axle cranks from most a multitude of brands in both 19mm and 22mm.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I cant find a replacement right prima 175mm square taper

try searching for Primo 😉

Are bmx bottom brackets all the same size?

Nope. Powerbites have a 22mm axle so the bearing inner diameter will be 22mm. A lot of cranks are 19mm (profile etc) but some others are 22mm e.g. Odyssey Thunderbolt. Check what kind of BB shell you have a well, could be American, Mid or Euro, although unlikely to be euro if you’re running a 22mm axle as that doesn’t leave much room for bearings. If the bearings push directly into the frame it’s a mid BB, if there are cups pressing into the frame that the bearings then sit in it’s an American BB.

Any recommendations for sourcing one or replacement crank set

Actually I *think* I’ve got a spare set of primo powerbites that are in fairly rough condition but AFAIK structurally sound. You can have them for postage costs, which will be a bit as they are heavy as a heavy thing.

redthunder
    Free Member

@steveit

I send you some pix.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Okay, got a link instead as I’m sure you’re ‘pics’ will have been rejected by my works firewall.

redthunder
    Free Member

THANK YOU Stevet1

The cranks have worked a treat 🙂

I hope I have the opportunity to pass on some of my kit to others on here if it helps out.

PS: I know the chain is slack.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PhtpHC]P1370261[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

One again many thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Prima BMX cranks. replace or alternative. help.’ is closed to new replies.