Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Pricing up Alps trip for next summer. Flights ?
  • nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve always driven to the Alps, so have no idea about flight prices. But some of the group want to fly.

What sort of prices do I need to bank on so I can price up the trip for people ?

Ideally from Leeds/Liverpool/Manchester to Geneva in early August.

Can’t price it up online as flights aren’t released that far ahead yet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well a quick check says I can do Manchester vis LHR to GVA for £250 return next week with BA so that should cover the outside bets..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Booked as soon as released £50 each way plus bike carriage.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

Booked as soon as released £50 each way plus bike carriage.

Who with/ where from ?

nealglover
    Free Member

…next week…

I would be 11 months early to collect the Chalet key.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Paid £80 return Bristol to Gen in July with Easy Jet, carry-on only, my mates took my bike and bags in the Van, I still don’t know how I got away with that.

Factor £35 each way for Bike, plus whatever for luggage etc.

Word to the wise though, as someone who’s been stuck with organising these sorts of trips more than a few times, I’d say “there’s the drive option and the sort yourself out option”. Even the nicest people can be complete arseholes with this sort of thing.

porter_jamie

How many folks going? Considered driving?

nigew
    Free Member

I presume you are looking to fly late July early August.
    I would budget £200- £300 per person inc a hold bag and bike both ways.
    The cheaper flights are usually midweek and don’t most chalet owners want Sat/ Sun to Sat/ Sun lets
    Our group paid £220 for an August flight from Liverpool and we booked as soon as the flights became avaliable

nealglover
    Free Member

How many folks going? Considered driving?

10/12 going, I am driving, I’m just wanting to get an idea of flight costs for those that don’t want to.

@ PJ – They will be sorting that bit out themselves, It’s just so I can give a rough price so people can decide if they are in or out. Then I can take deposits before booking the relevant size Chalet.

@ Nigew – when do the flights normally become available for August. Liverpool departures would be fine for us.

nigew
    Free Member

Neal
    I think it’s usually 7 months.
    I didn’t book this time but I’m fairly certain my pal wanted the money just before or after Christmas, excellent timing 😉

EDIT
    That was with Easyjet

sofaboy73
    Free Member

iirc my flights this year from Manchester to Geneva around the same time, incl bike and hold bag, were around £230 booked with easy jet as soon as them came on sale (around December I think)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Considered driving?

I don’t think I’ll willingly drive again.

This year we went to Les Arcs and flew to Gen, which as anyone who knows about such things will tell you isn’t really the easiest way to do it, but it’s the way that worked for us.

Neither option is ‘easy’, but for me if you’re going to Morzine flying is a no-brainer.

It’s 18 hours door to door to drive, it’s 5-6 to fly.

To drive cost a little as £400 per vehicle for a car on the Ferry, Maybe £500 for Van on the Tunnel – typically 3 per vehicle by the time you’ve loaded stuff – say £150 each.

Flying is £200ish, plus transfers of £30 – there’s so much traffic between Geneva and Morzine they’re every 30 mins. So it does cost £80 more, but unlike Les Arcs – you don’t really need a vehicle in Morzine, everything you need is walking/riding distance.

You get ‘more holiday’ too, this year My Mate and I flew, we arrived fairly fresh lunchtime, had a nice lunch, mooched around the town, if we’d had our bikes with use we could have had a ride. Our friends arrived tired, stressed and hungry 8-9 hours later. On the last day we got up, went riding, got back to the Chalet at about 3pm, had a quick shower and headed for the airport, we were home later that night. They had an evening in the Chalet, got up at 4am and arrived late the next night, tired, stressed

porter_jamie

Don’t forget transfers

porter_jamie

I drove twice recently. 4 up in the bus we went expensive tickets and insurance Inc rac 400. Tolls 120. Petrol about 300.
    Shared the driving it’s 10 hours french side. Tunnel can be done much cheaper of you don’t pay for flexiplus

deadkenny
    Free Member

Including transfer and/or parking costs at this end also.

nealglover
    Free Member

We are driving for sure. It’s a family trip and not just biking. Plus all the stuff we will take isn’t practical for flying. So we want the Van to get around to other places while we are there.
    We always drive anyway, but this time it’s actually required.

Plus we are away for over two weeks so the drive is part of the holiday as we will be staying over on the way,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can’t price it up online as flights aren’t released that far ahead yet.

and you can’t bring up the past… Flights are released on a basis generally where there are x tickets @ 50 quid, y@70, z@80 etc. they sell the cheap ones first. If you are organised and keep an eye out you should be able to go cheaper or at least the same as than the prices for next week.

Things to consider, if a group of you are flying then try and be the right number for a transfer minibus – keeps the cost down. GVA is a dull airport, very dull, very very dull so try and get everyone in within the same hour. Don’t be there too early to fly out either!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Pricing up Alps trip for next summer. Flights ?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts