• This topic has 61 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pigyn.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Pricing of that Fox dropper
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Would need to be convinced of the benefits of the kashima though.

What are you talking about? 😯 It’s MOAR KAAAAAAshhhhiiiiiiiiMMMMMAAAAAAAA!!! 😛

Worth the £300 price tag alone..!

MSP

As others have quiet rightly pointed out, the RRP of probably its biggest rival the Reberb is actually higher, but no one pays that for them.

I couldn’t find the revised reverb for sale for less than 340 last night.

Northwind

£270 at Winstanleys (£300 for the 170mm version but that’s obviously apples and oranges). Though, I’m not sure there’s anything about the new Fox that makes a comparison with the old Reverb Stealth’s price unfair? And that’s £215.

buckster
    Free Member

The CEO of Sony was asked why Playstations are more expensive in the UK, he replied because the British will pay that much.

A Reverb is $275 in the USA

chakaping
    Free Member

New Reverb pricing will come down when it’s not as new anymore.

Not so sure about the Fox.

Extra for Kashima is a joke and makes them look like con artists.

emyr

I’ll care about the pricing when anywhere I like buying from stocks a 27.2mm version.

In the meantime, £55 for a TMARS with all it’s sloppiness and temperament will have to do.

retro83
    Free Member

andyl – Member

Daffy read the pinkbike review.

and bikeradar. Looks like STW should say remotes are $65 extra.

If that’s right, then the pricing is not so far out, we pay only about £40 more, which is still a bit of a piss take, but better than £85 or whatever it was.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Ultimately price comes down to economics.

If Fox/Mojo have priced it too high, it won’t sell enough. If they’ve priced it right, it’ll sell out at roughly the rate they can get more into the country. if it’s too cheap, they’ll sell out before they’ve a chance to re-stock.

if it’s too pricey, they’ll cut the cost. if it’s just right, they’ll keep it as it is. if it’s too cheap, they’ll increase supply and fewer will be sold at sale prices.

They’re a profit seeking company. they set their prices for each market, and will react to the market, just like every other business in the world. just because it’s bikes, it doesn’t mean they have to act like a non-profit. ‘fairness’ of how it’s priced in other countries doesn’t really come in to it.

if you don’t like the price, don’t buy it – nobody is forcing you too, and the world won’t implode if you don’t own one. if there are enough people like you, one day, the price might come down.

philstone

Mojo are selling them without the lever. The prices on their website are just for the post, then add the lever at £57..

andyl
    Free Member

Retro83

If that’s right, then the pricing is not so far out, we pay only about £40 more, which is still a bit of a piss take, but better than £85 or whatever it was

I’ll repost what I posted on the other page without postage:

US pricing:

Kashima version: $314
    Remote: $65
    Total: $379

At todays exchange rate: £260.16

+ 4.7% import duty: £272.39

+ 20% VAT: £326.87

UK price you state in your OP for the Kashima version with remote is £339 so that means a difference of £12.13.

Add in an allowance for exchange rate variation and that pricing seems pretty close to me. Where are you getting £40 from?

Feel free to buy one from the USA and then pay an additional handling fee and then if you have a problem pay to send it back to the USA or would you expect Mojo to sort you out? If you escape import charges and VAT and never have a problem then you are laughing but is it worth the risk?

Mojo are buying them wholsale in the USA so yes the import duty will be lower and the VAT they pay will be lower. But they will then have to charge you VAT on the UK price (ie the price they pay + import duty + their profit). They have to make some profit or they wouldnt be able to survive, let alone provide warranty backup.

The price in the USA and in the UK may well be too high but I don’t see that they there is anything disproportionate about the pricing that is not due to UK duty and taxation which are unavoidable and not their fault.

andyl
    Free Member

Also

In the USA the sales route will probably be:

Fox USA – Retailer – consumer (including local state taxes if applicable)

In the UK it is:

Fox USA – Mojo (via UK import and VAT) – consumer (+ VAT on profit)

OR

Fox US – Mojo (via UK import and VAT) – retailer – consumer (+ VAT on profit)

so buying direct you could expect Mojo to sell to the consumer at the same price the stores buy them for + the VAT on the profit but then it would put them at an unfair advantage over the retail stores they are supplying.

In reality when they hit retail stores they will be getting discounted compared to RRP but Mojo will probably still be keeping them at RRP to maintain consistency against all retail outlets. Some people will happily pay the RRP to buy from Mojo and have direct communication with them in the event of any problems.

All top end droppers are overpriced IMO but this is inline with competitors and hopefully prices will drop after the initial adopters who have to have it pay the full RRP.

retro83
    Free Member

Sorry, why should I care about the importer? I’m the end consumer so that’s the only price I care about.

Here are the competitor products pricing…

Crank Brothers High Line 125 $350.00 US RRP (with vat = £287.77) £269.99 UK RRP
    Thomson Elite 27.2/125 $479.95 US RRP (with vat = £394.61) £349 UK RRP
    RS Reverb 125mm $400 US RRP (with vat = £329.73) £295 UK RRP

rickon
    Free Member

Sorry, why should I care about the importer?

You don’t have to. But it’s a bit like complaining that Sainsbury’s digestives are 20p more expensive than Tesco, even though they’re made in the same factory. Running costs factor into the end consumer price, and as the distributor is different in the UK to the US, then you can expect variation in price.

All that’s moot though, as above it appears it’s a £12 difference.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    Sorry, why should I care about the importer? I’m the end consumer so that’s the only price I care about.

Here are the competitor products pricing…
    Because they will be the one carrying the spares, posting them to shops, holding them in stock while you decide if you want one and dealing with any problems you have.
    Fox USA do all that themselves, they also then do that for the distributors world wide.

Cost, Price and Value are 3 very different things.

Mojo have stock on pretty much every small part from every Fox product that there has ever been through out the years. The depth and range of stock and spares that they carry is absolutely unbelievable.

Mojo factory tour
    Got Kashima… Mojo certainly do!
    Its pretty re-assuring as a consumer as there’s no longer any need to worry when the rebound knob gets knocked of your 2009 forks as 99 times out of 100 Mojo will have the spare to get you back on the road again!

Talking with Tom and Ash (from the packing bench whose also in charge of stock control) they said it even amazes them quite how many spares they have in house. You name it we’ve got it!

“It sometimes gets to the point where if somebody wants a fork and we don’t have any in stock on occasions we’ve built entire products from the spares store.”
    In the past Fox themselves have contacted Mojo to see if they have stock on small parts that themselves didn’t have.

It’s like they are the most organised hoarders on the planet!
    You may not care about them but they care about their customers. If you had to send your fork/shock/post to the US for service or warranty would you be happy? If you needed a new lever after a crash and it takes 4-5 days to come from the US via customs you paying over the odds fees for it would you be happy?

legend
    Free Member

The same Fox that didn’t have damper bladders for 2010 forks in 2013? Resulting in the entire damper needing replaced? Not quite the utopian vision above in my experience

pigyn
    Free Member

That wasn’t mojo though, Fox didn’t make them. VERY odd and out of character. Really pissed a lot of people off to be fair.

MSP

The pricing in Germany is 448 euros with remote and 369 without

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fox-Racing-Shox/Transfer-Internal-Factory-150-mm-Sattelstuetze-mit-Remote-Modell-2017-p50980/

So that’s about 350 gbp with.

iirc that was cheaper than the revised reverb on release, although usually fox products do not get discounted as much as RS, so I do not see it going down much from there, unless fox really want to get a foothold in the dropper post market.

Easton is 429 euros and Revised reverb 439 euros at that shop.

retro83
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

You may not care about them but they care about their customers. If you had to send your fork/shock/post to the US for service or warranty would you be happy? If you needed a new lever after a crash and it takes 4-5 days to come from the US via customs you paying over the odds fees for it would you be happy?

Okay so perhaps you can explain how Rockshox, Crank Brothers and Thomson are able to end up with UK RRP which is actually cheaper than the US price?

Crank Brothers High Line 125 $350.00 US RRP (with vat = £287.77) £269.99 UK RRP (UK £17.78 cheaper)
    Thomson Elite 27.2/125 $479.95 US RRP (with vat = £394.61) £349 UK RRP (UK £45.61 cheaper)
    RS Reverb 125mm $400 US RRP (with vat = £329.73) £295 UK RRP (UK £35 cheaper)

Yet Fox/Mojo are pricing this at £339, where as the US RRP is (£260.16) + VAT (£52.032) = £312.

So ~£30 more expensive here. Better than the £80 first thought, but still over the odds considering the prices I’ve quoted from the other manufacturers.

MSP

Okay so perhaps you can explain how Rockshox, Crank Brothers and Thomson are able to end up with UK RRP which is actually cheaper than the US price?

Crank brothers, RS and thomson are gauging their US customers.

Next.

cookeaa

I do love STW a page and a half of waffle over estimated import and distribution costs when the price of Fox products really boils down to aspiration…

Will the other boys in your golf club know instinctively from the new shininess you lift down from the roof of your company Audi that you made your sales target, managed the arse out of that company wide software upgrade or just nailed your brown nosing technique?
    Will they be a shade envious? If so its money well spent I’m sure…

bigrich

if they are as long lasting as the 2016 fork that I bought and have only used in dry Australian conditions has turned out to be, it’ll be an excellent waste of money.

pigyn
    Free Member

We have found totally the opposite in our Scotch slop

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Pricing of that Fox dropper’ is closed to new replies.