Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pricing a custom/self built bike to sell.
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

What’s the best way to do it?

I know it would be better to strip and sell individual components, but I’d rather try to sell it complete before I went to the trouble of stripping it and posting individual parts. I presume it’s a total of the components second hand value but is there a rule of thumb valuing second hand parts?

Thanks.

wwaswas

Maybe 70% of what you’d get for the individual parts.

In terms of parts prices – search the classifieds for similar stuff or use the ‘50% of what you paid – another 10% per year old’ rule?

Tallpaul

No, the stripped down value is a total of the value of the used parts. The value of a custom built bike is likely to be significantly less.

You could look at what similar spec OEM bikes fetch on eBay – but I presume you’ve done this, think your masterpiece is worth more and hence the question.

The correct answer really is split it. It doesn’t take long and will realise the best return.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dmorts

As above, find prices for parts secondhand on eBay, Pinkbike and here etc. Then add up individual prices and knock it down by 20% or so.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

To be truthful we’ve just sold our house and we are desperately looking for another. We’ve found one but it’s about 10k over our absolute maximum budget so if I can get a couple of grand for my bike it helps to start tipping the balance.

I really don’t want to but for once I’m going to try to be grown up about things!

dmorts

Is it your only bike? 😯

onandon
    Free Member

I guess it really depends what it is, the size and the components used.
    If you have nice wheels, forks and frame see if you catch any interest in these before looking to sell the smaller bits.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

It’s a medium with a pretty decent spec (I don’t want to turn it into one of those threads)!

There is a new one on ebay but with a cheaper spec forks/brakes/wheels/drivetrain etc. Think I’m going to have to do some adding up using the methods above to come to a realistic figure.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

dmorts – Member
    Is it your only bike?

It wasn’t until a few months ago, I’ve not even had time to look for one let alone ride one recently!

bigblackshed

bluearsedfly – Member

dmorts – Member
    Is it your only bike?

It wasn’t until a few months ago, I’ve not even had time to look for one let alone ride one recently![/quote]

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the wrong answer.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’ve still got the wife’s xs inbred, the spin bike and my eldest daughters bmx if it counts?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

When you say custom bike, do you mean the frame was custom built for you, or just you’ve picked the components you wanted to fit to a stock frame?

The real answer is to split and stick everything on eBay with a 99p starting price and no reserve!

My feeling is once you start getting above a certain price point people aren’t looking for a complete bike. Not sure I would drop anything over £1k on a secondhand bike (though ironically I might if I’d bought all the bits seperately, go figure…).

People are either upgrading from, say XT to XTR, or a frame to retrofit all their current nice kit. Custom specs on eBay always seem to be the ones asking top dollar.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Sorry, it’s an off the peg frame.

That’s why I asked if there was a proper way to price it, there’s a lot of nice stuff on eBay but they seem to be asking stupid money for it. If I was feeling brave I’d stick the full bike on eBay with no reserve but going off what I’ve seen sell on there and for what it went it could backfire in a big way.

I think I’ll list it at 70%ish of the value of the parts in a used condition, with a view to selling it in bits if the frame/forks/wheels go first.

taxi25
    Free Member

Don’t sell it. Find a cheaper house, if you buy a house you can’t afford, when will you ever be able to find the money for a nice bike again ??? Houses are just somewhere to live.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Not really, it’s 10k more than I’m prepared to borrow not afford. I’d rather sell luxuries such as expensive bikes/shooting stuff than raid our life savings or leave us with less disposable income each month.

If it comes to it I’m prepared to use the savings towards the new house as the wife has just started back at work after a 5 year break until the kids started school but like I said I’d rather not as we’ve worked hard to save what we have.

Thank you for the impartial financial advice though!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Pricing a custom/self built bike to sell.’ is closed to new replies.