Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Prices starting at £30k, would you buy one?
  • votchy
    Free Member

The new Range Rover Evoque, starting at £30k for front wheel drive 2.2 diesel, would you buy one?
    If I had £30k for a car the Evoque wouldn’t even get close to being on my shopping list, but then again, those that know me appreciate my abhorence of anything LR/RR badged 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

They’ll sell loads of them, not what I’d buy but bound to succeed.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nope. I’d have an Alfa Romeo instead.

djglover
    Free Member

I’d buy a fully loaded Skoda Yeti, but yeah I can see this selling by the bucketload

tonyg2003

Plenty of people buy cars for image (some cod SUVs, 4×4’s, convertables, sports cars) rather than other “normal” considerations of practicality/performance/runnings costs etc…..

It will be a success.

simon_g

Maybe in 3-4 years time once the “every option ticked” models get traded in.

I imagine a £30k one will be rather spartan inside. And I’m not sure why you’d pay £9k+ over the price of a CRV or Tiguan or Kuga for one. Or even the Freelander 2, which doesn’t seem too bad in it’s own way at all.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Looks great, I’d like one but would prefer a RR Sport.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Plenty of other cars to buy before a £30k 2wd SUV.

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t there a hybrid option which is fast, big and very economical?

Interesting.

I’d consider one if it could tow a lot. More economical than my Passat.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

A 2WD Range Rover………….good grief.

I guess it’ll appeal to folk who aspire to BMW X5s or Range Rover Sports but can’t afford them.

(Total c*cks that is.)

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Oops sorry Kingtut – wasn’t referring to you in particular 😳

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

No freaking way. All show, no go…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think it’s quite an attractive car. It needs to be 4×4 though for me, and capable of off-road and towing well. But since most people don’t do either of those with their 4×4, a 2wd (low transmission loss), lighter, cheaper, smaller solution makes some sense.

But it never ceases to amaze me that people automatically assume other people buy cars for their status/appearance to others. Some people just buy a car because they like it themselves, regardless of what others think. That says more about the people making assumptions IMO.

Waderider
    Free Member

Isn’t there a hybrid option which is fast, big and very economical?

This isn’t really aimed at you Molgrips but at the concept of environmentally friendly SUV/4×4’s.

Personally I go the whole hog and get something more aerodynamic, lighter, and made of less resources if this even slightly registers with you as important. That’ll be even more economical.

Mind you, if you *need* one of these vehicles obviously the more greenwashed the better.

molgrips
    Free Member

To be honest, it’s a frustrating car in that respect. If they can make a oversized lump that can get 70 ish mpg, then surely they could make a small car with the same tech and get something really impressive..?

But if you look at it the other way, there will be people out there that are dead set on such silly big cars, so given that you might as well make one as efficient as you can, no? 2wd SUVs do sell, and fairly well too.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

But Peroduas sell too – but are sh1t.

A 2WD SUV is just utterly demented IMO.

£30k gets you a lot of “proper” SUV if you need one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sh1tness is in the eye of the beholder 🙂

Leaving aside the environmental impact. After all, it’s a lot more economical than your car Mat.

Tiger6791

Leaving aside the environmental impact.

Arn’t the dust-to-dust impact of Landy’s pretty good?

People keep them on the road for longer, built in the UK and all that?

Prob not true of new ones though

molgrips
    Free Member

Defenders used on farms perhaps. Not sure about the Chelsea Tractor mode of employment though. Can’t imagine those things are kept in use any longer than any other car, and contain a shedload more raw materials and manufacturing.

the-muffin-man

If I had £30k for a car the Evoque wouldn’t even get close to being on my shopping list, but then again, those that know me appreciate my abhorence of anything LR/RR badged

So no matter what price it was just because it had a RR/LR badge on you’d still think it was shite?

tonyg2003

130g/km CO2. It’s better than a lot of other cars that don’t get enviromentalist hot under the collar.

I kinda like the look. At least it’s distinctive and it will probaly be a nice place to sit.

Lets be honest though- a 2WD, faux 4×4, 3door, coupe has to be more about design/image than anything else for the majority of purchasers. Why not buy a Freelander if not?

Given VB’s involvement Landrover must think that the majority are women.

So definitely not my choice but each to their own.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’d like one but a better option would surely be a TVR of some sort.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Leaving aside the environmental impact. After all, it’s a lot more economical than your car Mat.

And has half the power – funny that.

I suspect the 238bhp 2.0 version will be rather thirstier…

Tony – Freelanders are actually pretty decent off road.

molgrips
    Free Member

And has half the power – funny that.

Oh, so the more power your car has, the less the CO2 matters, right?

tron
    Free Member

130g/km CO2.

The sole purpose of the car is its emissions. There’s a fear that we’re moving towards regulating for the average CO2 emissions of either the entire vehicle fleet in the EU, or the average emissions of manufacturers ranges.

That’s why you’re seeing 2WD Range Rovers, and things like the Aston Martin Cygnet. The manufacturers want to move and get the marketing in place before they’re shoved.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Your car – 138bhp and 173g/km
    My car – 286bhp and 205 g/km. The current version has 178g/km.

So considering your Passat has less than half the power, it’s not what I’d call very clean. Or economical.

Factor is a much more advanced DPF in the BM and your Passat probably chucks out more nasty non CO2 emissions anyway. However both cars comply with EU Emissons IV. It’s not all about C02…

Anyway back to the Evoque – soon it’ll be “What the fuque, it’s another Evoque”

5lab

it’ll sell thousands. I won’t buy one, but if you compare it to the other options, its not *that* pricey.. the real competitors will be the x1, equivilent audi and so on.

nonk
    Free Member

you might have a point mat if anyone actually needed that much bhp.

tonyg2003

Well lets face it Surf-Mat if you have bought a 3l tdi CO2 probably isn’t the top of what you are looking for in a car. Compared to depreciation and running costs a few MPG isn’t much of an issue.

Actually I think that make a full size 4 door saloon with reasonable permformance for most – 320d Efficient dynamics – 109g/km is BMW finest hour at the moment.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Tony – bloody amazing engine in that 320d ED.

Yes CO2 wasn’t top priority but it still isn’t bad for a quick motor and the mpg, while nothing all that amazing, is heaps better than most near 300bhp cars. So far it’s been fairly reasonable to run – apart from it’s appetite for rear tyres.

I have to admit though, 130g/km is pretty impressive for the Evoque.

tron
    Free Member

if anyone actually needed that much bhp.

Piss off with your high horse.

Do we need bikes imported from Taiwan that cost a bomb? Do we need several sets of tyres each? Do we need to stick bikes in the back of cars and take them to places where the riding’s better? Do we need central heating? Do we need supermarkets and refridgerated food? Couldn’t we all just live the life of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall and live off dock leaves and placentas? Do any of us really need cars? Couldn’t most of us telecommute, and everyone except tradesmen be restricted to kei cars?

Mat’s a smug git on occasion, but he is correct in that BMW do spectacularly well at producing cars with good fuel consumption (and therefore emissions) and performance.

So long as we live in a market economy, people like him will be buying 335Ds and telling us all about how great the car is 😆

stumpy01

I want to dislike it…..but I don’t think I can. It does look very nice. Not sure it will still look nice when it’s sitting 2 foot off your bumper in the outside lane of the A1 on a rainy Friday evening.

Surf-Mat – Member
    Your car – 138bhp and 173g/km
    My car – 286bhp and 205 g/km. The current version has 178g/km.

So considering your Passat has less than half the power, it’s not what I’d call very clean. Or economical.

But over an identical journey his car will still put out less CO2, regardless of CO2/bhp.
    Will your 2x power advantage get you there twice as fast?
    His Passat at 70mph will be just as fast as your BMW at 70mph, even though you have twice the power………

Mister-P
    Free Member

£30K? You could buy a bike for that!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

On occasion?! I’ll have you know that I’m a perma smug git 😉

stumpy01

On occasion?!

😀

HA HA!! Nice one.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Stumpy – have you heard of “acceleration” and “braking?”

Of course bhp and speed is like bikes and lightness – the law of diminishing returns. A 600bhp car won’t get there twice as quick as mine but it sure will be fun on the way.

Back to the Evoque – will it break down like all LRs? Probably.

ross980
    Free Member

I think Matt often comes over a little bit smug (no offence) but to be fair, I think it’s a bit daft comparing a 335d to a 2 litre diesel. A 335d real ‘competion’ is a fast V6 or 4 cylinder turbo petrol saloon/estate cars, and compared to those it makes a lot of sense (imo).

My 2p worth: I’m not a massive fan of that Evoque, but then I don’t really like RR Sports either (would much prefer a Disco). Like others have said, it’ll sell.

votchy
    Free Member

So no matter what price it was just because it had a RR/LR badge on you’d still think it was shite?

Absolutely, hate the things with a passion 👿

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Cheers Ross. Agree – a Disco 4 is 3498234985 times more appealing even if it does weigh 2.8 tonnes!!

Only Mol compares (constantly) his Passat’s “greeness” with our BM – TBH I really don’t give a to55. I have this much interest in any Passat apart from the R36 and CC – >>> . <<<

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oops sorry Kingtut – wasn’t referring to you in particular 😳

Don’t worry, KINGTUT is a total cock

Looks WAY better than all the other fake 4x4s out there IMO. It’ll sell by the bucketload. Dosn’t matter that it’s a rubbish vehicle, same as the new mini innit?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Prices starting at £30k, would you buy one?’ is closed to new replies.