Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Prices "from"?
  • mucker

It really rips my knitting how retailers can have the same item, say a backpack, and charge significantly more for one over the other. Usually it’s the hi-vis one which has the premium. Is this rank profiteering out of people’s desire to have the “safest” one or is there something in the manufacturing process that adds to the cost.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I think the prices of all high-vis stuff goes up when the clocks change, might be wrong but its seemed that way to me in recent years.

zanelad
    Free Member

Supply and demand i guess. I expect more people want the non hi viz version.

You want to stand out, pay up.

How much is your safety worth to you?

Splash-man
    Free Member

Often the cheaper one is the one in a rank colour that nobody wants and they have piles of them left.

vickypea
    Free Member

I don’t know but I love “it rips my knitting”
    😀

CountZero

If you don’t want to pay the extra, just wrap a cheap hi-viz vest around the backpack.
    Although, that’s still going to ad at least a fiver to the cost, so what sort of price difference is a hi-viz model over the standard backpack?

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s a tricky one. I quite like that I can buy an unpopular colour for less money. Let the people who insist on a specific colour subsidise those of us that don’t care. That’s why I have a hot pink laptop (£100 less than a blue one and £130 less than a grey one!) and a neon yellow helmet 8)

That said, high viz stuff shouldn’t be a premium price.

mucker

Camelback Lobo £46.99-£61.99, £15 extra that’s almost an extra 33% over and above. The high-vis ones should be subsidised to encourage cycle commuting, capitalism stinks.

Markie
    Free Member

😆

oldtennisshoes

One of these any use?

#CFHpensionfund

Matt24k
    Free Member

Meanwhile in a Distributors warehouse there are shed loads of every colour other than Hi Viz so, hardly surprisingly, they start to offer deals on the lines that are gathering dust.
    Supply and demand innit.

beej

The high-vis ones should be subsidised to encourage cycle commuting

“Well, I would cycle to work but that hi-viz camelbak is £15 more than the non-hi-viz, so I won’t bother”

mucker

Quite the opposite I think. Most other colours are used by normal MTB types, whereas the hi-vis ones are not (who wants to look like commuter whilst off road, not me).

ebennett

Things are worth what people will pay for them. HTH

deadkenny
    Free Member

Simple bait. Like CRC. Hook you in with headline of the cheapest price for the model you don’t want, is the wrong size, crap colour, and then make a profit on the more normal price items that you reluctantly buy at a higher price.

mucker

Spot on DK. So many great prices on stuff they don’t have, should be a way to stop it popping up.

redmex
    Free Member

See that often and the only stuff left in stock is 28″ waist for those built like the gable end of a pound note or shoes size 5 feet stopped growing or maybe a gore cycling jacket xxxxxl for someone sturdy built only

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Prices "from"?’ is closed to new replies.