Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Price per mile – Justifying your buying habits!
  • Given most of us on here spend a lot of money on bikes, how do you justify your spending?

What do you reckon is a reasonable price per mile ridden for a bike?

jackal
    Free Member

Why would you have to justify something you do for fun?
    Just a thought….

😀

woody2000

how do you justify your spending

Me want, me buy.

😀

Flaperon

cymro1
    Free Member

I look at my wife’s shoe collection and realise that anything i’ve spent pales into insignificance

m1kea
    Free Member

I reckon I’ve coughed up about £6K on bike toyz this year. Really don’t want to do the maths on that thanks!

legend
    Free Member

As a long time owner of DH bikes, I will never, ever, look at cost per mile 😯

alex222
    Free Member

I look at my wife’s shoe collection

I don’t have a wife and/or girlfriend so I have plenty of disposable income.

*my life is pathetic waaaaaa*

unklehomered
    Free Member

ooooooooooooooooh shiney…

tinsy
    Free Member

I put some 2nd hand grips on the other day, and changed a bearing 1 side of my external BB, spent about £5 total in the last couple of months. I am not counting the oil and some cleaning stuff.

stumpy01

I don’t really justify it. If I want/need it and can afford it then I buy it.

If I had some kind of cost/mile justification then my Inbred could be dripping in fancy bits and cost less/mile than the Stumpy.
    As it is though, the Inbred gets as little as possible spent on it, while I tend to splash out a bit for the Stumpy.

If I buy a road bike soon, then I will probably start upgrading the Inbred with some nice bits.

miketually
    Free Member

My commuter cost me £600, via Cyclescheme. I’ve spend a small amount on it for tyres, chains, cables, etc. but probably less than £100.

My commute’s 1000 miles per year. Sometimes I’ve used a different bike, but I’ve also used this bike for other-than-commuting to probably the same extent.

I’ve had the bike for just over 3 years, so let’s say 3000 miles.

£700/3000miles = 23p per mile

Aidy
    Free Member

I’ve a fairly comprehensive spreadsheet for commuting miles.

Works out at about 19p/mile, taking into account things bought mainly for commuting use (but not food).

Or it saves me about 17.5p/mile compared with catching the train.

njee20
    Free Member

Jus-ti-fy? 😕

Nope, dunno what you’re talking about?

fatboyslo
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Jus-ti-fy?

Nope, dunno what you’re talking about?

+1 🙂

fasthaggis

njee and jackal + 10000 😉

grum
    Free Member

£3000 per mile

pjm84
    Free Member

A lot…

First time I’ve had a credit card annual statement. Total of all transcations for the year = £37,873.68p.

woody2000

Nearly 40K! What the **** have you been buying??

mboy
    Free Member

As a long time owner of DH bikes, I will never, ever, look at cost per mile

Hehe, they make owning a Ferrari look cheap in cost per mile comparison, and MX bikes good value!

Anyway, having to justify your hobby? I’m not into throwing money away on things for the sake of it, but if I have spare cash and I want something, then why not buy it? I’m currently not in a position where spare cash is at all prevalent, so I only buy any absolute necessary parts (new brake pads, new bearings) to keep what I’ve currently got going, but if that changes, then I’ll buy what I like again.

makeitorange
    Free Member

It seems the amount I spend on a bike is inversely proportional to amount of miles I clock up on it. My Freeeride full-suss is the most expensive by a long way and not ridden much at all considering the price tag, my mid-priced Chameleon sees to most of my off-road riding but my sub £300 commuter singlespeed gets by far the most miles.

Ask me how much fun I’m having when I’m riding each bike though and its a different story.

captaindanger

Don’t do it!

It’s still cheaper than playing with cars. That’s the best I can come up with.

Bregante

First time I’ve had a credit card annual statement. Total of all transcations for the year = £37,873.68p.

😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯

and

😯

br
    Free Member

My wife has horses, I don’t need to justify ANYTHING!

RealMan
    Free Member

My road bike all in was about £1500. Got over 5000 miles on it so far, but I reckon it’s still got another 1000 or so before I get a new one (mostly out of want rather then need).

So that’s less than 30p a mile. On my mtb I don’t really note distances or anything so would be harder to work out.

RealMan
    Free Member

Double post.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I got told off once by Sideways Tim for using the phrase “I don’t need one of those” in his shop. The point being, it’s not a “need” kind of shop 😀

mlke
    Free Member

£££ per hour is more relevant so you can compare road bikes with BMXs etc etc

bigh
    Free Member

Easy, i spend a few minutes every day I go to my local (FoD) talking to the 60-70 year olds still riding bikes. I want to be like that, also would probably be 16 stone and smoking if it wasnt for my two wheeled addiction

MoreCashThanDash

Commuter bikes are easy – 45p per mile to run a car, according to HMRC (my employer) so a 24 mile daily commute soon pays off.

MTb and road bikes for “fun” are a little harder to justify – I suggested that it was better to spend the money on bikes rather than drugs or hookers, but she pointed out that drugs and hookers would probably have been cheaper and caused fewer injuries….. 😛

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s not the miles that count, it’s the smiles.

crikey
    Free Member

£1800 on a road bike.
    A rough underestimate of 3 40 mile rides a week.

(Rough because it’s less in the winter, but probably double that during spring and summer and early autumn.)

So 480 miles a month, over a year is 5’000 plus miles.
    The bike is 30 months old, which is 14’000 miles or so.

Relatively cheap cost per mile, and still going strong.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

About a £1200 on a road bike + all the kit and upgrades.

7000 since purchased a year ago.

3 stone lost and many friends gained.

Priceless.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Price per mile – Justifying your buying habits!’ is closed to new replies.