Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Price of Double glazing
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

Has anyone got a rough idea how much 2 average sized windows and a front door would cost?
    Just based on an average size and spec but i would like the frames to be black so it matches the rest of the house.
    Everset do black aluminium frames which are the only ones i have seen.
    I would like a ball park figure before i get a specific quote.
    Any thoughts on the alumininum over upvc, is it better and therefore more expensive?
    Thanks

TooTall
    Free Member

Get several quotes – not one. National companies cost more, local usually cheaper.

pedalhead
    Free Member

yeah, absolutely get lots of quotes. To replace all the windows (and a few double doors) in our house, we got quotes ranging from £3k to £10k for essentially the same stuff.

DT78
    Free Member

Yep get loads of quotes, we had a range £3.5k – 7.5k for our house (7 windows, back door)

We wanted a mock wood front door, cheapest that came in was £800, the back door was white pvc at £500.

This was 2 years ago.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Anyone know the benefits of aluminium frames? Are they better than upvc?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Wood is better than UPVC. It will outlast it, and is a renewable resource. Do think about it.

The “benefits” of UPVC are a lovely myth created by an industry which makes more money because they are easier to produce and can be fitted by oiks.

Aluminium won’t be as efficient as either though, but will outlast UPVC. Alloy frames will have some sort of thermal break, but that’s rarely as good as the bulk insulation of wood or UPVC, so there is a limit to how efficient they can be.

Edric64
    Free Member

As a window cleaner I feel well placed to comment wood is great if of good quality and you keep it treated or painted on a regular basis.Most of the wooden frames I have cleanen are knackered and in need of repair because people just don’t spend the time or money on the upkeep.UPVC seems to last for years and is easy to clean.I would have thought an oik could fit wood as well by the way.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

My builders wouldn’t touch wooden frames! I thought that was telling.

Fitted them all myself and I’m very pleased I did.

McHamish
    Free Member

A friend of mine recently went through the process of getting loads of quotes to do his house, it’s a big 3 bedroom place so not comparable, but he finally got a quote for £6k.

But during this process, one forthcoming salesman said they have a specific process which they go through when getting quotes…the main point being, they know from the start what price they’re willing to go down to, but the whole process is focused on getting as much money as they can from you.

Firstly they have the ‘old lady price’, this is basically as much as they think they can get away with.

At the opposite end of the spectrum there’s the ‘actual price’ that they’re willing to go down to…they know this price all along.

In between these two prices, there a whole range of ‘gullible mug’ prices, each time it goes down they’ll pretend to have to phone their boss to get approval.

My friend ended up with the £6k quote when a salesman turned up and my friend said…”I’ve been seeing people all day, I know all about windows now so don’t need you to tell me how great yours are. I don’t want the old lady price, or the gullible mug price, just tell me how much it’s going to cost.”

I expect there was a bit of bartering, but that’s how my mate told the story in the pub.

t_i_m
    Free Member

+1 McHamish
    Anglian quoted us a list price of 3.5k, which immediately dropped to 2.1k. After a couple of rounds of bartering/laughing at him, made a couple of calls to said manager, dropped to 1500 then 1350. Their telesales kept calling back (every day!) and eventually dropped to 1150.
    Local contractors first quote for same job was 850.

DT78
    Free Member

My parents have no end of issues with their new builds wood windows. As said above they need to be looked after, whereas upvc don’t. A big plus point on upvc for me!

mrmo
    Free Member

it is actually quite obscene the price that gets charged for doors and windows. I see what i sell them at and i see what the customer actually charges and the markup!!! i know there are overheads but even so.

pedalhead
    Free Member

McHamish, I hope it’s a bloody big 3-bed house, else your mate’s still paying the “old lady” price judging by that £6k!

alanl
    Free Member

I’ve just priced up a new window today for a customer.
    1180mm x 1m, one opener, one fixed panel.
    Price to me from the supplier – £175.
    It’ll take me 4 hours to fit at the most, so add £75 labour, total cost £250.

This is a good quality window, white upvc. I could get the window cheaper from another place, but the frames from this Co. are better.
    No idea about black, in fact I cannot recall seeing black frames before. Probably double the cost for black – I buy gutter occasionally, and any gutter in a ‘strange’ colour is double the price, so i’d assume the same for upvc.

Alan.

tony24
    Free Member

I fit black alot prepare to pay a premium for it any colour other than white gets a bit of a mark up. Its getting very popular now and i seem to be fitting alot of timber frame with ali inserts atm as well.

2 give you a rough quote i would need some overall sizes then can work something out from there.

coloured UPVC is silly prices so not alot of people even consider it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Price of Double glazing’ is closed to new replies.