Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Price of a Tommahawk cruise missile?
  • Ambrose

Can anyone give me a cost of a cruise missile? In simple financial terms. Assume that I have the wherewithal to launch it etc. I just want to know how much it would cost to buy one, assuming that I could.

iolo
    Free Member

last time I bought one it was around 5.87

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A touch under £1million each I believe.

wrecker
    Free Member

Just going by how happy they seem to be to use them, I reckon about a tenner. Give or take.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Complete stab in the dark, £65,000.

timidwheeler

With or without VAT?

nick1962
    Free Member

Two carbon fat bikes and a Jeff Jones Truss fork.

scaredypants

it’s the delivery costs you need to worry about

Ambrose

Blimey- that was fast!

Ernie- source?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Ernie cheated, approximate costs are on wikipedia (where else). A Storm Shadow (as used by the RAF) costs £790,000 and we ordered 900 of them!

Still if you think that we bombed a city flat with 1000 4 engine heavies but still usually missed the main targets in WW2 I suppose that is cheap if the 97% success rate is to be believed.

Drac

Were around a million a pop during the Gulf war iirc.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie cheated

I read it in the Guardian today.

Here’s another source :

http://www.economist.com/node/21563702

scotroutes

On One are doing some – direct – for about half that. The paint is a bit dodgy and some of the fins are squint and need hand-finished.

You could go the Superstar route too. They are available in any anodized colour you want but might only make it half way to the target.

zokes
    Free Member

You could go the Superstar route too. They are available in any anodized colour you want but might only make it half way to the target.

So Superstar are re-branding SCUD missiles as Tomahawks?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I found some on e-bay from China, much cheaper do you think it will be fine?

bencooper
    Free Member

Looks like we won’t need to buy any more for a while…

nick1962
    Free Member

Chinese copies on e bay cheap but don’t let the Mods find out or the thread will get closed then reopened.

scotroutes

ROFLCOPTERS!!

timc
    Free Member

depends who is buying, discount for big orders init

busydog
    Free Member

Unless something changes for the better (hopefully), I hear Syria may have a shipment coming in that might exceed what they want, so a good deal might be available (although used, not new)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you get a discount when they are delivered? BOGOF offers for Syria??

scotroutes

Bad move as they are now obsolete.

The new versions have an increased diameter, enabling them to fly more smoothly (though it does affect their maneuverability).

zokes
    Free Member

Nope, they’re already superseded by a design that’s exactly half the difference in size between the original and old ‘new’ model. Apparently it gives the best of both worlds and should have been the specification in the first place.

Ambrose

@scotroutes- brilliant 🙂

timc
    Free Member

maybe thats why they are £790K

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Damn… we better find an excuse use them up before the warranty expires…

Ambrose

🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

New 650b Cruise, literally making the bombing zone come alive*

*may not be true

epicyclo

They should only be used if there’s a guaranteed no-returns policy….

compositepro
    Free Member

Buy ? Build your own

I’m sure there was a kiwi who built his own version from some off the shelf items, he published it on the web

The powers that be seemed to be slightly miffed

http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/

andyl
    Free Member

It’s safe to say arounf $1M USD in purchase price but the true cost is a little bit more complicated and works out a lot better value.

If you consider the cost of operating and maintaining an aircraft to drop conventional bombs and factor in the risk of losing that aircraft then then they start to make sense and then you have the benefit of lower risk of losing a pilot.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you need different Cruise missiles for mud?
    I’d really like a fast rolling good one that lasts a while but also hits the spot and makes a lot of noise. Is that moon on a stick thinking?

Northwind

Well played Mikewsmith.

tomhoward

Do they come with a crown race?

mrchrispy

they are free and delivery is ace….right into the window of your choice! you just need to use chemical weapons on your local population before some western government will send you a couple.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Price or cost? I reckon the cost of each Misile is the death of a fair few innocent people. So it’s about how you reckon those innocent lives cost or the price we put on them, and are they worth the tally score at the end of the shootout? £800000 for a tomahawk. How much for a life?

chewkw
    Free Member

Can they claim back VAT after it left the shore?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends which country. That is the scary fact about this, hint of Chemical weapons in the west and we would have launched everything at anyone. This is only Syria….

parkesie
    Free Member

Seems to be a clown race on to use them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Price of a Tommahawk cruise missile?’ is closed to new replies.