Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Price check on a fork installation
  • trickride
    Free Member

So I was in the market for a new hardtail, but it turns out ive got a while to wait until my cycle scheme voucher will arrive. In the mean time I’m going to buy a used fork for my current 26″ hard tail. After some previous mishaps and the fact im super duper lazy, I really cant be bothered trying to install a star nut, cutting down steerer – what is a reasonable price I should expect from an LBS to install a fork for me?

tmb467
    Free Member

Just get a hope head doctor and some spacers

Tho a fork installation will probably cost less fifteen mebbe for half an hours work?)

LoCo
    Free Member

£20 maybe if cutting steerer down etc, not sure as all this gets done free with us as part of a full service .

timidwheeler

My LBS charges £30 to cut to size and install.

bland

Buy a pipe cutter, just a cheap adjustable one and just gently tap the star nut in with the bolt screwed in, will take you longer to get to the bike shop

Nowt personal trickride, but whilst on the subject….

I can’t believe the ineptitude of half of my biking mates – they go to the lbs for everything, from setting gears up, to fitting new chainrings and maybe less.

They then proceed to moan about the cost and (maybe with some justification) how there always seems to be some problem afterwards – yet they keep going back, sometimes even after offers from me to do it for ’em.

Just baffles me, keen bikers (half of them tradesmen too) that seem incapable, or unwilling to learn how to fix their bikes!

Junkyard
    Free Member

£30 wow never realised how much money i save by doing it myself

Some crazy prices for some fairly simple [ if time consuming] work

trickride
    Free Member

Yeah, i think you have to go for one or the other. You either save the time and pay the price (and dont moan about it) or you save the money and take the time. I’m pretty short on time but after looking at the hope head dr i might well just do that.

Cheers for the input fellas.

LoCo
    Free Member

It’s a fairly quick job, but can be tricky to get right 😉

Like I said we don’t charge for it as the forks will have had a service or are brand new.

fasthaggis

I always like the quote ” Fixing a push bike,it’s not rocket science “.

I know a rocket scientist and he is useless at fixing his bike.

Hope someone is checking his rocket work 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

” Fixing a push bike suspension ,it’s not rocket science “.

I do use that quite often

jkomo

On the other hand, my mates think my idea of fun is fixing their old peices of poo they’ve left out in the rain and wonder why nothing works.

timidwheeler

I got the LBS to do the first one and did the second one myself. It is quite easy. I used a Wilkinson pipe cutter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Price check on a fork installation’ is closed to new replies.