Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Preventing brake rub with 2 sets of non-identical wheels
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Evening all
    I have built my second bike with a view to being able to swap wheelsets between that and my other bike, to save the aggro of havimg to change tyres. My forks are Maverick so the front hubs are the same, but at the rear i have a Hope on one and a Bontrager on the other. One bike has Elixir Rs ans the other has Tech X2s with hope and avid rotors (the same size obviously).

When i swap wheels, the brakes rub and adjusting this everytime i swap defeats the object somewhat!

If i put identical rotor on, should this stop the problem or am i wanting the impossible?

Cheers

Chris

steveh

You can get washers for 6 bolt rotors to alter the position of the rotor relative to the dropout. Some of these could solve your issues.

These
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3288

scaredypants

space the “too close” rotor out with some thin washers

Stainypants

I don’t think an identical rotor will solve it completely. The only way to solve this is to shim out the rotors on each wheel that the rotor is in exactly the same place on each wheel. Then adjust the brakes on each bike so that it works for both wheels. I probably an hour of trial and error but once set up it you shouldn’t have to do it again. There is a shim that can reposition a rotor I can’t remember who makes them.

edit they beat me to it

Nick

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Good old STW! Will get a shim ordered and see how I get on.

Cheers

Chris

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Add in different wear on the cassettes and it all becomes a PITA.

I ended up just buying more bikes.

br
    Free Member

I had the 6-hole shims with previous IS calipers and 2 sets of wheels, but now I’m on PM’s its a 2-second job to align the calipers.

Are you still IS?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’m on post mount, but for the sake of a £2 shim, I’ll give that a try first!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Preventing brake rub with 2 sets of non-identical wheels’ is closed to new replies.