Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Prevent Tools Rusting?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

A couple of my older bike tools are rusting a bit. Is there a way to stop this? A swab with an oily rag will probably do the trick, but is there anything specific I should use? Oh, and I’m assuming it’s a bad idea to oil the part that interfaces with bolts and so on?

Cheers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1) keep them dry
    2) anything oily/greasy
    3) especialy the tip, a socket/key/whatever doens’t rely on friction, it relies on the mechanical interface between the tool and the part, if that bit rusts away it’s useless!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Olive oil?

devash
    Free Member

The occasional rubdown with some light oil and a rag is all you really need. WD40 is what I usually use.

benji
    Free Member

Use them more often with greasey oily hands, you never see vehicle techs with rusty tools 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

The occasional rubdown with some light oil and a rag is all you really need. WD40 is what I usually use.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Wipe with an oily/greasy rag for stuff you use a lot.

For stuff you use less frequently, stick tools + one of these in the bottom of a toolbox & keep the lid shut.

VCI emitters

Cheers, Scruff

towzer

in (nonwaterproof)rucksack bike tools are kept in a placcy bag in a cheapo bum bag that is sprayed with wd40 and occasional spray inside. Main tool box is used often enough to prevent rust, secondary toolbox gets wd40 spray every so often.

dragon
    Free Member

They’ll only rust if there is water / moisture around, so store them better i.e. make sure they are dry when put away and kept somewhere dry.

freeagent
    Free Member

Scrub up with a wire brush or wire wool to remove surface rust, then occasional light spray with WD40/wipe with rag.

As others have said, you can use anything oily, but WD40/other spray is the easiest to use.

(I’m sure an armchair Engineer will be along in a minute to tell you that if WD40/GT85 comes into contact with your bike it will dissolve it)

dragon
    Free Member

Why bother with any oil when you can just dry them and put them away in a dry place.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Quite. Buy a toolbox with a built in dehumidifier. Much easier than a quick spray with WD40.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Or dont store toolbox in a damp place.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Stuff has been in my toolbox at home and in the car with no problem, but took my toolbox with me on roadtrip in a van to the alps. Came back with rusty tools. The van hadn’t been submerged in a lake or anything like that, though it did rain a couple of days.

Cougar

WD40. That’s what it does – WD = Water Dispersal.

tymbian
    Free Member

It’s what wd40 was invented for….well keeping nuke missiles ‘corrosion free’

interesting reading

tymbian
    Free Member

Beaten by cougar..

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cheers.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Prevent Tools Rusting?’ is closed to new replies.