Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Pretty tough late 90s Madchester indie music question
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Folks

I was in a shop a couple of days ago and really liked a tune they had on. The chap behind the counter told me who, and it was an indie band from Manchester I think. he said it was from the same time as The Charlatans, and I got into a conversation saying I saw them live a few times.

Anyway, I had not heard of this band, it wasnt anyone as big as Stone Roses or Happy Mondays. They only had 2 albums, and their name was a single word, a simple everyday word I am sure beginning with S. Something like Sound. But I am not too sure, and I can't really google sound as it is too common a word.

The tune had a lot of violin in it, and was quite ravey.

Can any back-in-the-day people help with this? It is a bit obscure sorry!

BoardinBob
    firestarter
    Free Member

i have northside chicken rhythms somewhere on tape but alas not worth looking for as i have no tapeplayer ;-(

yunki
    Free Member

it would have been late 80's not 90s surely? Madchester was over by the beginning of the 90s..

errr…. and you're ringing a little bell of recognition in my head somewhere… Unfortunately.. I was a bit too 'mad for it' around that time and have big chunks of swirling incomprehension and memory loss regarding that whole era..

If I get a flashback I'll let you know..

BigJohn

The Farm?

firestarter
    Free Member

shamen were a bit ravey iirc

woody2000

Sub Sub?

firestarter
    Free Member

and why oh why cant i find the bridewell taxis to download ;-( another useless cassette i have someplace

mutley

Suede

Source

Shamen

???

flyingmonkeycorps

Wasn't Shack was it? Though I don't remember them being ravey.

firestarter
    Free Member

i like suede 😉 god im going all nostalgic 😉

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Not Puressence was it ? Bassist Kevin and his mates used to plaster their name on every road and rail bridge.

Do you maybe mean 'Soft' – Garvey's original name for Elbow was 'Mr.Soft' when we were at college, then they shortened it to 'Soft', then finally Elbow ?

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Utah Saints ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUxhNWDlGts

dont know why but you reminded me of this tune.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

Sinitta?

darrell
    Free Member

chameleons

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

James

snowslave

I bet it's World of Twist. If it wasn't them, listen to them anyway – they were fantastic!

snowslave

world of twist – an example:

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Intastella, Verve, New Fads, the High, 808 state.

binners

Madchester? Shack?

Shack are THE most scouse band in the history of music. This is utter genius though. One of all time favourite tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wU5ff2sXms

Its not the House of Love you're thinking of is it?

snowslave

Shuddup everyone, you're confusing the guy! It's World of Twist….

tonyg2003

Yep World of Twist. Lots of Violins? Maybe there cover of The Stones – She a Rainbow. Great version.

Harry_the_Spider

Listened to She's A Rainbow by World of Twist this morning on the way to work. Fantastic.

You are all wrong though. The answer is Paris Angels and the track was Perfume.

Do I win a prize?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Right sorry folks, I did of course mean late 80s!

I think Source sounds like the closest. I know obviously you had "The Source" but this band had just a single word name. Can anyone tell me any of the Source's albums so I can have a look on Youtube? It's impossible to search just using that single name.

This was a band I had never heard of, but thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate the help.

Harry_the_Spider

…or Voodoo Ray by A Guy Called Gerald.

…or Creeping To The Cross by That Petrol Emotion. But maybe not as they were from the 80s and were not from Manchester. Worth a listen anyway.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If it's World of Twist, I have an LP of theirs for sale, called Quality Street, I don't think it ever got played or I played it once back in the day and thought it was sh1t.

JtotheP68
    Free Member

The Milltown Brothers?

easygroove
    Free Member

Inspiral Carpets ?? nice bowl mate

BoardinBob

Not Manchester, but was it Swervedriver?

BigJohn

Go back to the shop and ask the bloke.

terrahawk
    Free Member

The only Manc band I can think of beginning with an S is Slaughter and the Dogs. Not a single word though.

binners

brant
    Free Member

Was it Swamp Thing by the Chameleons – with which I had a near religious experience in some club with harrythespider under some railway arch or other.

Harry_the_Spider

Anybody remeber Curve?

brant
    Free Member

Was it Gaye Bykers on Acid?

Harry_the_Spider

brant – Member
    Was it Swamp Thing by the Chameleons – with which I had a near religious experience in some club with harrythespider under some railway arch or other.

Not in a bromance kind of way I hasten to add! 😯

That would have been at The Brickhouse.

brant
    Free Member

Not in a bromance kind of way I hasten to add!

I think she was a nurse. Well, that's what she told me.

Brickhouse. Right.

BigJohn

There are only 3 certainties:

Death, taxes, and a nurse.

Crell
    Free Member

"…or Voodoo Ray by A Guy Called Gerald." Classic…but not exactly in the "madchester" Roses, Charlatans vein.

Harry_the_Spider

On a night out at The Brickhouse it was a nurse, taxis and a difficult trip home from the wrong side of town on Sunday mornning. No death.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Pretty tough late 90s Madchester indie music question’ is closed to new replies.