Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Pretty Fly(press) For A White Guy
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Vices? Pah – this is proper hardware 😉

mtbfix

Thanks for that. The background has reminded me I need to look into getting a loft ladder fitted.

Jamie
    Free Member

You monster 😡

bencooper
    Free Member

😀

nicko74

That looks like you set it up in an aisle in Maplins…

What *is* a flypress?!

pingu66
    Free Member

I remember using one of them when I was an apprentice and getting ****ted in the head, arm hand every time it span back round. OK it may have been operator error but it hurt like hell and I feared the beast.

Proper chuckle at Jamie’s photoshop.

Nice, looks even better on its own cast iron stand as well.

I bought this saw a while ago. Proper cast iron heavyweight, I had to get a friend to unload it with his JCB. 🙂

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

isn’t it missing the ‘flies’ ? The ones I have seen had 2 heavy balls with holes through the centre mounted on those 2 bits sticking up.

kayak23

Yeah, our ones at college in the jewellery workshop have balls on them. Nice mind, even sans balls.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Do you have any surplus tooling for it? I’m looking for a 6mm x 15mm racetrack slot and a 15mm radius for ours.

bencooper
    Free Member

No balls or tooling. I do need a large pair of balls. However such things are available on the Internet I’m told.

It was fun getting it out of the van and into the shop without a forklift 😉

cheez0
    Free Member

only needs balls if you are twatting big bits unless you have a bit of weight to put behind it.

presumably the stop works too on yours? (will stop the self-twatting of head, arms etc)

Northwind

Jamie, I don’t think that’s a fly.

I know they’re useful things but it looks like something you’d use to make cheese, or do the laundry in the 1800s. This is the POWER-MANGLE.

stavromuller
    Free Member

It’s definately a flypress, trust me, I’m a ducter.

bencooper
    Free Member

presumably the stop works too on yours? (will stop the self-twatting of head, arms etc)

Yes – it’s a bit stiff so I’ll strip it down and clean it sometime, but all works perfectly. Was pretty pleased to get one with the original cast stand.

JoeG
    Free Member

Are you sure that it is not a really old Park headset press? 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh, it’s going to be fantastic for headsets – might need to be careful not to flare them a bit 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh, and apart from needing some big balls, the ram is also a bit sticky – I’ll try wiggling it, but it might need lubrication.

bencooper
    Free Member

Now stripped, cleaned and rebuilt, with the dings ground off the ram – so it’s now super smooth 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Because I know you’re all on tenterhooks and it’s been over a week since my last update, here it is fully operational:

Now with tooling to cut metal in interesting ways, and giant yellow balls for more oomph 😉

ed34
    Free Member

what are the balls for?

bencooper
    Free Member

They add momentum to the rotating arm.

JoeG
    Free Member

Brass balls or balls of steel? 😀

matt_outandabout

You have big balls sir.

marcus7
    Free Member

get smacked with that and you’ll know it…. well when you wake up.. 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

Nice tool.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

They add momentum to the rotating arm.

To make sure when you’re stupid enough to ram it into your head it hurts twice as much 😆 I ended up in A&E with mild concussion courtesy of one of these just after I’d finished my engineering course at college 😳

bencooper
    Free Member

Brass balls or balls of steel?

Cast iron 😉

I’ve got the stop set so I can’t hit myself with it (again)…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Pretty Fly(press) For A White Guy’ is closed to new replies.