Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Preston Hospital +1 6 Weeks not riding -1
  • watsontony
    Free Member

thanks to all the people at Preston hospital friendly understanding and professional!

I had a bit of a fall and dislocated my shoulder and was in a lot of pain. This was the first time this had happened to me and at some points a would say it was an 8/10 for pain total agony!

but i arrived at Preston hospital in a timely manner via ambulance. My shoulder was quickly x-rayed. i was given morphine and gas and air, the air helped more. i was given one final jab of something i cant remember the name off and whilst my head was in the clouds of that my my arm was back in. i did not feel a thing, at present i would describe the pain at 1/10 barley noticeable, regained full movement and in and out within 1.5 hours on a Saturday night! cant prise them enough for the service i received………..but

The very nice doc told me no riding for 6 weeks!!!

i feel i could ride now (wont be doing tho)

how long do the stw massive think it sould take.

i want to allow decent healing time as i understand the stuff holding the bone in is in some way damaged.

but not a chance i cant ride for 6weeks.

what else am i meant to do?

ps the bike is ok 🙂

willber
    Free Member

i’d give it 2 – start doing some long gentle rides.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I was almost grateful I broke my arm near my shoulder rather than dislocated it, just so I didn’t have to get it popped back in. Glad to hear it wasn’t too bad though.

I’d listen to the doc and lay off as long as you can. Get on the turbo trainer instead, or exercise bike at the gym.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tracker1972
    Free Member

See how it develops, done both of mine, one to the front and one to the back, both moved a long way after dislocation and were excruciating. Didn’t ride MTB when I did the first but it was months before I had the strength to wrangle my motorbike off and on the stand.
    Did the one to the back whilst mountain biking and that was about 8 weeks before I could ride some very tame off road stuff, 5 before I could ride on the road. Could get on the bike and go well before that but wasn’t honestly in any kind of control if anything went wrong so I waited until I had a little more control and strength.
    Sounds like you were lucky, I wasn’t and it was months before I could even get my arm to shoulder height without cheating. Whatever happens get some physiotherapy and let them know what you do, and want to do in the future. Had a mix of NHS and private (who knew my mum had a policy I could use!) and all have been superb, if a little sadistic 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

what else am i meant to do?

Speak to a physio about strengthening your rotator cuff muscles with an elastic band.

watsontony
    Free Member

cheers guys.

woke up this morning in a fair amount of pain after the drugs had worn off 🙁 going to go see doc tomorrow and hopefully get booked in for some physio.

qwerty. whats this elastic band thing you speak of?

themoodster
    Free Member

Listen to the doc/physio, if you don’t let the shoulder muscles, tendons and ligaments a chance to heal properly you run the risk of permanently weakening the joint leading to more frequent dislocations. A mate of mine ended up being able to dislocate his in his sleep!

jet26
    Free Member

Speak to whoever you see in fracture clinic. It is not something to answer on here but in short take your time – recurrent dislocation is not fun.

James (orthopod)

chunkychew
    Free Member

I dislocated my shoulder a week ago and asked for the same advice here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dislocated-shoulder-how-long-until-i-can-ride

My experience sounds very similar to yours: 8/10 pain whilst it was out, x-ray, same meds, didn’t really feel it go back in too much, felt okay later that day, hurt more the day after. Like you, I thought the staff at the hospital were brilliant. Very caring and compassionate.

8 days on and I’m still wearing my sling day and night. Are you wearing a sling too? No reall pain during the day – just a few twinges. Hurts much more at night though, and I’m finding it hard to sleep for more than a few hours at a time.

Ortho appointment tomorrow and I’m worried about what they’re going to say. Best of luck to you watsontony! If I’m given any gems of advice, I’ll pass them on.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Keep off it for at least a month. I don’t wish to see you on our Orthopaedic ward at Preston and be taking you down to theatre. That’s meant in the nicest way possible.

watsontony
    Free Member

cheers for the advice. will certainly be keeping off it for as long as possible. i currently have one bike and it is fully ridged……(cove sanchez) dont know if that will affect how long before i can ride. and im 22 so does this mean i am far more likely for this to happen lots in the future…… i am just going to have to put up with no riding for how ever long it takes even a few months is better than it affecting me long term. the only thing is i am less than 24 hours in and im bored……………really bored…………..really really bored……… i usually ride EVERY day and most nights ………. 🙄 😐

mick_r

I’ve done both shoulders – one popped back in myself after 1 hour and the other was 10.5 hours until Furness General got it back in place (various reasons for the time and I’m definitely not complaining about the service). Preston was a good place for you to do it because of the fairly advanced A&E facilities I guess (I had to wait for theatre at Barrow).

First shoulder just sorted itself after a bit of rest.

The more recent / traumatic one was a much longer job. I did my follow up at Preston so guess you’ll do the same via fracture clinic. If the clinic thinks you need urgent physio then they’ll get you straight in.

Physio visits will only be about 15 mins with most of the work being done at home by you (stretching, rubber bands etc). An inflatable gym ball was probably my most useful purchase, invaluable right through the whole process (especially the early exercises where it is used to support weight of arm). But don’t pre-empt things based on internet physio sites – WAIT and do what you are told!

My biggest problems came from the shoulder freezing up – so do everything you can to keep it mobile once you’ve had appropriate advice.

Further down the line they did a 1 hour shoulder gym class- that was useful to learn a range of exercises to strengthen further and push the range of motion.

Good luck!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Preston Hospital +1 6 Weeks not riding -1’ is closed to new replies.