Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 206 total)
  • Preston
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Good or bad?

Looks like my next long term assignment will be up there, until the Autumn at least.

crikey
    Free Member

Good road biking, good access to Lakes and the NW of England for mountain biking.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ah, DWP gig ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Only 9 miles from where I live what is not to like 😉

not a bad city as such one hour ish to the lakes , rivvington near by, trough of Bowland near by as is Blackpool 😯
    Some shitty areas, like anywhere really and some nice areas.
    I would neither be excited nor put off by the prospect of living there

Anything specific you wish to know then e-mail

hope you had a nice holiday

samuri
    Free Member

DWP would more likely be Blackpool.

BAE are close by though.

allthepies
    Free Member

DWP would more likely be Blackpool.

No, there’s a huuuuge DWP programme going on at Preston.

geoffj

Nice stuff around about, but Preston is a hole IMHO.

Edit: If I was working in Preston, I’d move to Kendal and commute by train (35 minutes) from Oxenhomle. Kendal rocks!

xiphon
    Free Member

I’m up in Longridge – rolling hills of the Ribble Valley. Only 8 miles from Preston city centre too 🙂

BenjiM

In Longridge too, Preston isn’t all that bad, good access to the Bowland fells and excellent road riding around here. If you’re interested when you’re in the area let me know and we can show you the sights on a bike 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Plenty of nice places around it. God-aweful location for a night out in the centre as far as I can see. Been there a couple of times for a few reasons, didn’t inspire.

crikey
    Free Member

Gravy at the chippy, but that might not be on the auld diet sheet…

molgrips
    Free Member

I would neither be excited nor put off by the prospect of living there

I’m not going to live there, just work. No nights out or anything like that.

My main concerns are which bike I should bring, and how much of a lock I’ll need to keep it secure 🙂 Would only be after work stuff as I’m home at weekends of course.

ourmaninthenorth

I live near there. An uninspiring place that has a bit of an identity crisis – it doesn’t know what it’s for any more.

But surrounding countryside is ace.

Road bike. Big lock.

grum
    Free Member

I went to uni in Preston, they call it DePreston. Pretty crap place IMO – it not that it’s that grim, it just doesn’t really have anything to recommend it.

Not too far from the Lakes though I guess. Lancaster is much nicer (where I live of course 🙂 )

2hottie
    Free Member

Used to live there. Not bad but isn’t good either. Sort of a place where if you move away for UNI or work you don’t move back. There are a few nice pubs for real ale (The Continental)and that but I’d avoid a “big night” out as well, it’s pretty rubbish.

Riding is good, lots of stuff close by for a night/evening ride. Road as well as MTB, Gisburn is 40 minutes and Lee Quarry is about the same. Healy Nab and Rivington are close by to.

Bike locks. GET A MASSIVE ONE! Plenty of scallie ninja’s around to help them selves to other peoples stuff.

crispo
    Free Member

When are you moving up here?

As it goes this year is a great year to be up in Preston as its the Preston Guild year so the whole city id getting behind it with loads of events going on. Main week of it is 1st week in September which will be busy.

I live in Grimsargh which is just the other (good) side of the M6 from preston out East.

Echo what other people say, nice and close for plenty of good mountain biking. Longridge fell, Grindleton Fell, Darwen Moor, Rivvi, and Lakes are just about an hour away.
    Lots of Roadies about going out through the trough of bowland. Given the weather that we tend to get if you are wanting a quick evening ride then the roadie is a safer bet.

If your looking for digs I would recommend looking outside the centre, Its dead easy to get into by bike (even car isnt that bad) and the areas to live are much nicer.

If you want to know anything else email in profile.

Edit: Wo Wo Wo what wrong with a night out in Preston? Theres a lot of good real ale pubs in a small area so you dont have to trek to far between pints in the rain!

2hottie
    Free Member

Agreed plenty of real pubs and they are generally in a close area. Yet there are plenty of fekk tards around to make it pretty eventful in a bad way. Generally a night out ends in a takeaway which is the only successful business on the high street.

tarquin
    Free Member

Grew up there, not too bad but I didn’t live in t’city itself, of which there are plenty of crap areas. Should be plenty of foreign students now as the university has taken over.

Nice suburbs, shouldn’t be hard to find somewhere decent to live.

Crap for driving in and around, takes ages to get to the motorways from the western side.

Good chippys for lunches…

Aristotle
    Free Member

tarquin – Member
    Crap for driving in and around, takes ages to get to the motorways from the western side.

That’s what I was going to mention. Preston may *look* close to the motorway on a map, but it can be quite a drag to get to the centre or the docks area from the M6.

molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like I will be starting tomorrow. I think I’ll probably get a serviced apartment, there are a few of those listed.

Hopefully in the summer time I can get some nice evening rides in but I suppose later in the year it’ll just be the training type stuff.

binners

Molly – If you’re taking a ‘proper’ bike, then we’re regularly out in the week – Wednesdays or Thursdays within striking distance of Preston if you fancy getting out and about in the hills

Cougar

I went to uni in Preston, they call it DePreston.

I went to uni in Preston, we used its old Roman name of Prestonitberaining.

I have a soft spot for Preston. In the early 90s at least it was a vibrant student town, and it served me well for a couple of years. Spent many a happy night in the New Brit and the, uh, some sort of dark bovine round the corner, Black Bull?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Blimey, didn’t realise there were so many folk round here.

Live just outside, but work in the middle of De-Preston. Not the greatest town, and some of the locals are …. interesting.

Plenty of good road riding from the doorstep, and it’s 40 mins to the Lakes or Gisburn.

If you can only bring one bike, I’d go for road bike tbh, but, yeah, bring a big lock.

If you ever get stuck for route advice then give me a shout.

molgrips
    Free Member

Binners.. interesting.. how far is striking distance? May not have a car.

binners

If you look on google maps at the satellite shot of preston, you’ll see all the hills to the south. You’ve got Darwen Moor, Rivington and the West Pennine Moors within 10-12 miles.

If you’ve no car then Rivi would be the best bet. You could jump on the very regular trains from Preston to Horwich Parkway – journey time under 20 minutes – cost: a couple of quid return – and you’re straight into the hills. I used to do that regularly from Manchester.

I’d be happy to show you around. Pending Lowey’s permission of course. As you’re no doubt aware, he owns all of Rivi. We’re always out round there. Some cracking stuff. like the San Marino for example 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O56xs0OXi5U[/video]

crispo
    Free Member

Yeah the black bull on Friargate? Still usually has a good few different beers on.

Mol, where abouts are you going to be working? Us locals might be able to help you out with suggestions for the more ‘friendly’ bits to live in that are easiest to go to.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I can only choose from a limited selection of places to live – it’s normally hotels but there’s a serviced apartment place I might try. most are in town I think.

tarquin
    Free Member

I’d recommend Higher Penwortham, couple of miles from the city, far enough to avoid most of the scum.

Otherwise, Fulwood, Bamber Bridge, New Longton, Longton, Hutton, Grimsargh

Avoid Kingsfold, Moss Side, Avenham, Ashton, Ribbleton, IMO.

yoshimi

The apartments around Winkley Sq are nice and close to everything

xiphon
    Free Member

trailofdestruction Blimey, didn’t realise there were so many folk round here.

Sounds like a “STW Prestonia Branch” needs to have a pub ride!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Another Prestonian here, again, living just to the north in Grimsargh.

I have to say, in it’s defense, whilst the City centre has really suffered in recent years, in terms of quality of life, I can’t think of a better place to live and work than its surrounds.

My business is based in Longridge, the gateway to the Ribble Valley, Forrest of Bowland, and some of the best road and mountain biking around without going to the Lakes.

I’ll be out tonight, riding from the picture-postcard village of Chipping – where we meet every Tuesday – for a scenic ride over the fells into the Trough of Bowland.

I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.

molgrips
    Free Member
    xiphon
    Free Member

Shibboleth – if you don’t mind, could you shoot me an email with some info about this?

I live in Longridge, and can see the Trough hills from our window 🙂

I agree it’s a lovely place to live!

crispo
    Free Member

Shibboleth – now who would have thought there is 3 of us from here in Grimsargh alone, its tiny!

Are you out on roadie of mountain bike from chipping tonight?

grum
    Free Member

Yes Chipping is delightful – superb road riding round there. But it’s not Preston. 🙂

Cougar

Based purely on that map, I’d concur with the Winkley Square suggestion. It’s much, much nicer than up New Hall Lane.

Cougar

Also,

I do believe I owe you a pint.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

crispo – Member

Are you out on roadie of mountain bike from chipping tonight?

Mountain bikes tonight Crispo, though I do ride roadbikes.

Only moved back to Grimsargh last month (I lived there for 6 years but have spent the last 3 in Longridge), on Lindale now, whereabouts are you?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

+1 for Yoshimi, Winckley Sq is really nice actually. Still staggering distance from the Continetal as well http://www.newcontinental.net/

“STW Preston Ride ” ? Why not, sounds like a good excuse for a few beers a bike ride round Rivi.

Anyone ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Preston’ is closed to new replies.