Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Presta to Schraeder hacks.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m having little joy getting a pair of tubeless tyres inflated using my track pump. I’m thinking I’ll try the compressor at the garage tomorrow but cannot find the small screw on adaptor I used to have. Anyone have any cunning solutions?

stoffel
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

Try blu tac.

I doubt it will work but could provide us with amusement.

paule
    Free Member

I’ve heard (but never tried) that snipping the end off a presta valve cap will give a sleeve to make the valve Schrader sized…

hot_fiat

Garage air lines are useles for this. Go to a tyre place and ask them to do it. They’ll have a compressor with a big receiver that’ll give the desired whoompf. They’ll almost certainly have an adapter as well.

STATO
    Free Member

Set-up your tubeless so you can actually do it at home. Getting a garge to do it is all nice but what happens next time?

Just wrap some more tape on it, doesnt really need to be tubless tape as if already there then you have a seal so electrical tape might fill gap enough. If tyre is really slack then buy a rubber rim strip or it’ll probably burp anyway.

towzer

get a strap/rope and a mate
    Place round middle of tyre and start to tighten, as you tighten encourage tyre bead outwards towards rim on each side, continue till tyre middle is forced into rim well and bead is forced to rims
    pump like billyho
    (* my dad used to do tubeless car tyres with a footpump)
    (** place the rope round the tyre, not your mate ……)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ghetto tubeless inflator Klaus!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Yeah you need a pop bottle accumulator.

garage-dweller

What you need (imo) is to fix the reason it won’t go up with a track pump.

More tape
    More soapy water on the bead

Anything else is cheating unless the issue is leaky side walls in which case co2 or a compressor might be worthwhile to get it seated so the sealant has time to work the first time.

andyrm
    Free Member

As has been said – get the tyre fit right first of all.

All of my tubeless setups I’ve done (mix of non-tubeless tyres on tubeless rims, tubeless tyres on converted rims and non tubeless tyres and rims) have all been easy to inflate using a track pump.

Build up the rim bed (I’ve found that Gorilla 25mm tape is ideal for this) so the tyre is a good tightish fit (i.e. just about fittable with bare hands at a push). That’ll do it.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

More tape
    More soapy water on the bead

Plus make yourself a double ended trackpump hose with a valve chuck on both ends and use another tyre blown up as hard as you dare (I usually go to about 70-80psi) as a source to get the beads seated. If this doesn’t do it, that tyre and rim set-up isn’t happening.

Northwind

Car tyre works for that too (basically does the same thing as a compressor) and yep most garage airlines are pretty useless for this- lower volume than you can do with a trackpump.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Car tyre works for that too

Yup, it does but I’ve found a bike tyre at higher pressure gets the tricky combos started better due to the bigger initial rush of air. I’m pretty sure you’d not be in any danger pumping a car tyre up to 80psi for this but it’d take absolutely ages to do.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

All good stuff! I left one tyre last night with some sealant in it and had another go this morning, inflated a bit better but still no seal, I then tried the other tyre trick, seems a fat bike tyre at 4 bar has worked 🙂 I can also attest that the lidl/aldi track pump works as a secondary hose. Pump up tyre, remove from valve, unscrew hose from pump, this then slips over the Presta valve on the to be pumped tyre, reconnect to fat tyre and the air rushes in. 4 bar hasn’t been enough to pop the other one but I’ll try it with a higher pressure and moderate volume road tyre.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Finally, a use for a fat bike! 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Presta to Schraeder hacks.’ is closed to new replies.