Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Presta or Schraeder?
  • jonzo
    Free Member

…and why?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Presta, just so all my bikes have the same valve to keep things simple (MTB & road)

alanf
    Free Member

IIRC presta valves are designed for higher pressures and shrader aren't.
    I use shrader on the MTB but I don't run massive high pressures, usually around 35psi depending on tyres/conditions.

Can't really see it makes too much difference but my mate said if you're ever out with a puncture and your pump is shot, you could blow it up at a garage with a shrader valve

uplink
    Free Member

IIRC presta valves are designed for higher pressures and shrader aren't.

I've got a Schrader on my forks & rear shock & I inflate them to ….. psi

Daffy

On a mountainbike the Schrader is probably better. Pressures aren't silly high and theres no risk of snapping the silly top hat off it.

All of mine are Presta though as that's what tubeless rims and valves come in.

*shrugs*

singletracksurfer

Use Presta but getting more and more annoyed with the broken & bent valves leaking.

Can't fit Shrader in many of my wheel rims.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

presta is a good one to have as a spare, as it will always fit through a hole in the rim, (for your schrader running mate who forgot an inner tube) (being narrower than Schrader). possibly an argument for a stronger rim with smaller diameter holes (though I am perfectly willing to be mocked at this suggestion!)

joemarshall
    Free Member

Can't really see it makes too much difference but my mate said if you're ever out with a puncture and your pump is shot, you could blow it up at a garage with a shrader valve

I've had this – pump exploded and died miles from home. Garage airline did the job. Although nowadays many UK garages have those stupid push button machines which probably aren't so good for this as the old whooshy tube machines.

Joe

kimbers

schraeder, im clumsy and kept breaking the top off presta

and that presta for high pressure stuff is bollox imho

lunge

Pesta as my mini pump seems to attached to them more easily.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

The high pressure thing is rubbish! schrader valves are used in loads of high pressure applications.
    Surely its all down to rim width?

alanf
    Free Member

Absolutely true about air suspension using Shrader – not sure if the pressure thing is only applicable to tyres, I read about it somewhere when I was thinking the same as the OP. Could be a load of pony though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Presta for me – looks prettier.

jonzo
    Free Member

Anybody drilling rims out?

bigyinn
    Free Member

presta, as they are easier to deflate than schraeder ones.

Arent most rims drilled for schraeder and just have a grommet to fill the hole if using presta?

nukeproof
    Free Member

Presta on all my bikes

One thing I do like with presta is the nut that screws down against the rim which helps as it stops the valve pushing downwards when you're trying to get a pump on.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can't fit Shrader in many of my wheel rims.

Anybody drilling rims out?

Drill 'em out! I've done it to loads of rims, Mavic, DT etc. No problems at all. As for the 'strength' argument, if you saw the tiny shavings of alloy removed by enlarging the hole, you'd realise it's not valid. 😀

tinsy
    Free Member

SHRADER (any old spelling tsk), if its good enough for my car and wheelbarrow and motorbikes its good enough for my push bike….

Presta are the work of the devil.

DezB
    Free Member

Presta.
    UST rims, see.

joemarshall
    Free Member

One thing I do like with presta is the nut that screws down against the rim which helps as it stops the valve pushing downwards when you're trying to get a pump on.

Schwalbe inner tubes have these on the schrader tubes too.

jahwomble
    Free Member

"Anybody drilling rims out?"

Yup, just slowly and carefully so not to deform the rim or leave a big burr on the hole.

nickc

makes no difference. I use presta, as that's what all the guys I ride with use, so it just makes life easier.

DezB
    Free Member

One of these bikes uses Presta, the other Schraeder. Which one would you pick?
    Schraeder

Presta

grievoustim
    Free Member

schraedar on the MTBs – Presta always seem fragile to me, add mud into the equation and my chances of killing a perfectly good tube are increased dramatically

Presta on the road – anything else would just seem wrong

use a frame fit pump on the road, so no issues with sharing pumps

kimbers

dezb what on earth does your post mean?

jond
    Free Member

Re the garage pump thing – you *could* carry a Schrader>Presta adaptor, as you'd get on a track pump (not that I do…)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

One of these bikes uses Presta, the other Schraeder. Which one would you pick?

I'd have the Hummer, then drill the rims out. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    dezb what on earth does your post mean?

Fudged if I know. 😕

kimbers

you cryptic bastard

miketually
    Free Member

When trying to decide, first determine whether you're looking at a car or a bike…

crazy-legs

Presta all the time. It saves swapping pump adaptors, most of my rims will only accept Presta and they're generally nicer to use anyway.

The argument about pressure is rubbish – shocks and forks use Schrader yet they take happily take far higher pressures than tyres.

Terrydactyl

I reckon its down to rim width, narrow rims as used on road bikes would be less stressed with smaller hole. so they use presta.

It doesn’t matter for mountain bike rim widths so either will work, but Schrader is a better more reliable valve. (You wouldn’t use presta on a car would you?)

So MTB=Schrader every time, road bike presta

cookeaa

It's not normally a choice I find it has more to do with the size of the hole in the rim…

If I had to choose, Schrader I can whack the compressor on it without an adapter, works well enough for cars, presta valves are too delicate, and offere no advantage so far as I can tell…

Dibbs
    Free Member

So MTB=Schrader every time, road bike presta

Ditto.

Aqualisa
    Free Member

schraeder – less chance of snapping the end off when being ham-fisted

oldfart

Why oh why don't DT drill the holes for Schraeder then give you a little blanker for Presta like Mavic do ?Job done everybodys happy ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

my bikes all presta, prefer schraeder – stronger

jonzo
    Free Member

An emotive subject then

timber

anything, my bikes are a right mismatch and continuously changing, only 3 rims won't take either and there may even be a woods valve tube kicking around in something

both valves seem to do the job
    keep meaning to standardise, but it only takes a minute to turn the pump insides around

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

bigyinn –
    presta, as they are easier to deflate than schraeder ones.

ay? use a cap with the integral removal tool and your tyre is instantly deflated!

anyway, schraders are used is loads of industrial applications, high pressure schraders are good for 2100 psi, even the cheapos used in pneumatic tyres are good for 210 psi.

i stand to be corrected but as far as i know prestas are only used in cycling and came about due to the smaller diameter of the valve body.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Presta or Schraeder?’ is closed to new replies.