Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Presta Inserts – where from? rim specific?
  • higgo
    Free Member

I have a Schraeder drilled rim (Halo Freedom) that is quite a loose fit with the tyre (ADvantage). I keep tearing a small hole round the bottom of the presta valve. The rim didn't come with a presta insert. For consistency with my other bikes I'd like to keep using presta and have used presta on other Schraeder drilled rims without problems. But I reckon this rim/tyre combo is too loose and moving about too much putting strain on the valve.

I've had a quick look on CRC and can't find any inserts for using presta tubes. Anyone know where I can buy them? The Halo Freedom is quite a deep rim – does that mean I need a deeper insert?

I like the rim and I like the tyre so I'd liek to keep both if poss. I'm planning to bung another layer of rim tape in there, quite a wide one so it gets right up under the bead. Any other ideas for making sure the tyre does not slide around too much.

I will not be going tubeless (but don't let that stop you suggesting it ;~) ). Apart from anything else I very much doubt this tyre would ever seat/seal on this rim either 'ghetto' or with a conversion kit.

geoffj
    higgo
    Free Member

Ta – have ordered a couple of them.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Schwalbe inner tubes have a special ridged lockring on the valve that means you can use the presta ones in schraeder holes. They don't cost much more than other brands either.

Joe

higgo
    Free Member

Schwalbe inner tubes have a special ridged lockring on the valve that means you can use the presta ones in schraeder holes.

Interesting. That may explain why I've not had the problem before.

I think my DT5.1s (on the front of this bike and both wheels on my HT) are drilled for Schraeder. I'm dimly aware that the lockrings are different on Schwalbe – I know what you mean about them being ridged – I'd noticed it but wasn't aware it had a purpose apart from being different. I do tend to use Schwalbe tubes but that's just out of habit. I wasn't aware of the lockring thing.

The two tubes I did in last night had 'normal' lockrings. One was a Nokian DH tube which went down riding slowly up hill on tarmac – an indication that something odd was going on.

higgo
    Free Member

Having said that I'm not sure even the Schwalbe tubes (and lockrings) would work so well with a deep section rim as the lockring only sorts out one end.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Presta Inserts – where from? rim specific?’ is closed to new replies.