Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pressure washing bikes.
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Just musing that I’ve been using a pressure washer to clean all my bikes now for a year and a half. I’m not completely stupid about where I point the thing, so roughly avoid blasting hubs and bb, but I do squirt the bejeezus out of the frame, chain, cassette, brakes, suspension etc, and I don’t think It’s caused any problems at all.

I’ve probably changed the BB in my mtb once in this time and the headset and BB in a cross bike once, but that’s about it. Pretty normal wear and tear I’d say considering the amount I ride (about 8-14 hours a week).

So I’ve saved a serious amount of time and hassle (jet washing is fun), to no detriment, in fact the jet wash gets the fiddly parts of the bike way cleaner than hand washing and doesn’t need detergents/degreasers.

I’ll put my neck on the line and state that I think detergents and degreasers are more detrimental to bearings than pressure washing.

fisha
    Free Member

Yup – blast the non-sealed bits with a jet washer … simples, easy and quick.

SaxonRider

I have no idea what is more detrimental to my bikes, but I can say unequivocally that I love pressure washing them. It’s one of the reasons to go out in the first place, if you ask me. 😀

scotroutes

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Oh do stop it scotroutes. How camp does that sound! 😆

bramblesummer
    Free Member

We pressure was ours, being careful not to go too close to main bearings. Generally we tinker with the bikes regularly so the bearings are frequently repacked with grease and suspension serviced regularly too (I’m yet to find the suspension oil milky and contaminated with oil). There are drawbacks, and even careful washing will result in water being forced into things, but the time/effort saved is worth it to me on balance with potentially getting through an extra part or two.

Wally

Regular use is under rated.
    Pressure wash, leave for a month = sized bearings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pressure washing bikes.’ is closed to new replies.