Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Press fit shimano woe – advice please
  • Afternoon ladies and gents

My press fit shimano hollowtech II disintergrated on me yesterday after a surprising few miles. I’m getting better at home maintenance but still firmly in the novice camp. It seems I need a TL-BB 12 & TL-BB 13 for removal and installation & these babies aren’t that cheap.

Is there a way of ‘bodging’ it without damaging anything? Cheapest shimano BB I’ve found is uk bike store at £30.99. Despite using the current crc voucher it still is more expensive.

Also, any brands worth considering other than chris king? Shimano BB’s as I’m aware don’t hold many fans and now lost another

Thanks up front. Ps the problem bracket belongs to an xcontrol 410 lapierre

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

check the endfloat / preload. It would appear that putting too much side load on these bearings is one reason for premature fails

timmys

Removal;
    http://www.parktool.com/product/pressfit-bottom-bracket-bearing-tool-set-bbt-90-3

Fitting;
    http://www.parktool.com/product/home-mechanic-bearing-cup-press-hhp-3
    or
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cyclus-headset-press/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Cyclus-Cyclus_Headset_Press

The second option (headset press) is obviously not the “correct” tool but it is cheaper and obviously useful for headsets as well.

As far as I know Chris King don’t make a BB90/92 bottom bracket. I’ve had by far the most luck with Enduro Fork Seals bottom brackets but there are others. If you search for Zesty/Spicy + bottom bracket here and over on the Lapierre Owners Club forum you should find out more about the available options.

mmannerr

Superstar has cheaper tool (£19) for extraction but Park tool (BBT-90.3) includes the cups for press. Superstar works ok, the bearings are not destroyed by extraction as is the case with screwdriver & hammer method.

Now if I just could find out if my BB shell is ovalized from the drive side or not…

edit: the Shimano BB’s should have some warranty, some are labeled XTR in the packaging / by bike manufacturer and have three year warranty.

TandemJeremy – Member
    check the endfloat / preload. It would appear that putting too much side load on these bearings is one reason for premature fails

In noob language please Gerry, don’t quite understand. It’s the none driver side that’s gone. 

Thanks Timmys, great help. Not found anything on here but will check owners club

Mmannerr – to be fair it’s been ridden in some real gritty conditions too many times

I reckon I’ll take it to my lbs and pay for the labour (thanks Schwiez just ordered that)

smiff
    Free Member

that plastic nut on the end of the crank spindle – you might be over tightening it. non-drive side usually fails first because it’s less protected from spray etc i think. but preload tightens both sides equally.

btw press fit BBs are a rip off, you can get threaded Deore ones for about a tenner. not that that helps you..

tjh1985
    Free Member

I have just fitted a new press fit to my 2011 Cube, no need for any special tools i used a vice and a couple of blocks of soft wood to do mine but it really wasn’t necessary as long as every things clean they slide in easily with very little pressure. Whatever you do ensure you apply even pressure to the outer edges of the adapter so that it goes in square and not on the inner as this will damage the bearings. The outer is fine to push on.. 5 minute job.

Theres a 2.5mm spacer thats may or may not be required so check the old one and the inner covers are marked for L and R.

The old one was screwed so i just smashed that out btw as there only plastic. 🙂

p7rich
    Free Member

People have recommended these to me.

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1073/product;jsessionid=DD94C4DE469E11FFB026A2009EFAA47E

PS. I have been running a Shimano press-fit in my Whippet for 6 months with very little fuss (if you ignore the creaking, which is suspect it caused by the frame cups. Smooth-as.).

rmacattack
    Free Member

i had the same woe, just ordered an fsa cermaic, way more than i intended to spend so i hope it lasts

Tom83

I got the xtr equivilant one from Rose bikes for about £18 iirc. Has been in a few months with no sign of it wearing.

rmacattack
    Free Member

damn i just paid £130 is it from rose website?

cheers_drive

You don’t need as special tool to knock it out unless you want to reuse the shell for new enduro bearings. I drifted it out using a straight section of a old thick walled handlebar. New XTR BB £18 and a Cyclus headset press £28 from Rose to fit. A vice would do the same job.
    The Enduro BBs are better than the XTR ones but to 2.5 times better as the cost would indicate vs the Rose price.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Press fit shimano woe – advice please’ is closed to new replies.