Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Press fit BB's – Tell me about them…cause I've bought a bike with one!
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Getting my new Giant Anthem tomorrow and it comes with a Press fit BB. From another thread on here it appears that they are either rubbish or just another stupid change for the sake of it?

Ta

frogstomp

Certainly seem to be more of a faff to change compared to the screw in sort.. had to get another special tool for my Zesty..

pstokes99
    Free Member

had them on my zesty – was often difficult to get hold of replacements at reasonable cost. seems easier now. does need specific tool to remove – can borrow mine if you are near Leeds.

Superstar have just started making replacement ones.

Certainly no better that HTII – different for different’s sake.

100mphplus
    Free Member

The BB’s may offer no better performance, (unless it’s the larger BB30), but the actual frame is stiffer where a lot of stress is put through the frame, as the BB tube is wider. So the benefits to the bike as a whole are great.

As far as fitting and removal, they are a doddle compared to screw in BB’s, you can install and remove them without any special tools, (hammer, blocks of wood, vice & drift!), just like you can for a headset or suspension bearings.

chakaping
    Free Member

frogstomp – how’s the zesty going? are you enjoying it? new BB holding up OK then?

R.lepecha

This may not be the best information.

Superstar bearings are known for being crap.

timmys

R.lepecha – Member
    ———
    This may not be the best information.

Superstar bearings are known for being crap.

I actually laughed out loud when I got this weeks Superstar email that detailed their new Pressfit BB’s. The combination of general problems with pressfit BB longevity + Superstar quality and support is going to be an epic cluster**k.

bigyinn
    Free Member

shouldn’t that be cluster***k?

timmys

shouldn’t that be cluster***k?

Indeed it should.

frogstomp

chapaking: frogstomp – how’s the zesty going? are you enjoying it? new BB holding up OK then?

Loving it! Got a set of Flows on it now and off to CyB at the end of the month – can’t wait..

The bottom bracket’s doing OK.. once I’d re-greased it.. will upgrade it to some decent bearings once these are shot..

😀

Dougal
    Free Member

How odd, I just posted a tweet a few minutes ago about my experience with press-fit BBs:

Shimano Press-Fit BBs. First one lasted 462km, second one lasted 414km. Wonder if I can glue a UN-72 in there?!?

chakaping
    Free Member

nice one frogstomp, it is surprising how much life you can eke out of those press fit BBs even after they start stiffening and grinding!

FuzzyWuzzy

My first one didn’t last long, my replacement one has lasted ages (over a year). Bear in mind on the Zesty a lot of the issue is water getting trapped in the frame in the BB shell so it’s not all the BB’s fault – might apply to other bikes to. The tools are a rip-off but a lot of people have made their own or bodged it with a headset press etc.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Press fit BB's – Tell me about them…cause I've bought a bike with one!’ is closed to new replies.