• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jody.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Press fit BB help
  • jody
    Free Member

Morning All,

I have an Anthem fitted with a BB71-41a. Its going to be replaced due to a full rear end strip/rebuild. Does anyone know what is the equivalent high end spec like XTR as I can’t make any sense of the bb hierarchy.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

All the Shimano press fit b/b’s are practically the same so it doesn’t really matter which one you drop in.

nickc

Jody, buy a couple of them at a time, they’re practically disposable, so there’s no real point in buying expensive ones, and it’s a 2 minute job to replace.

mrlugz
    Free Member

If your BB is a solid tube (unlike the ones on a Commencal Meta which has a step in it for the swing arm movement..) why not screw a hope one in.

Ten you have an even easier job of replacing bearings.

perthmtb
    Free Member

The XTR equivalent is the SM-BB94-41A

boblo
    Free Member

Any feedback on how the Shimano press fit thingumybobs last?

euain

Any BB lifetime is going to be a mixture of folks saying 2 rides up to those that have run them for 25 years and still going strong.

For what it’s worth – my BB71 (XT? SLX? whatever it is) push fit was not much different from the external BBs I’ve had on bikes before. First lasted 9 months, replaced and lasted 14 months. I’ve just fitted a Hope stainless one so we’ll see how that does.

None of them have creaked or caused any problems. They are run in all weathers in the NE of Scotland. Including Strathpuffers etc. I’m OK with that as a lifetime – as it’s been said above, dead easy to replace and not that expensive.

SirHC

Have a Hope Pressfit in my Trance 1700miles this year and bearings are still good and no creaks.

boblo
    Free Member

Good ta. I’m coming from an ’emotionally scarred by BB30′ perspective so that all sounds good (best W1A impression). I’ve a Shimano press fit in one of my road bikes and it’s been silent for a bit over 1k miles so far. So… ace 🙂

nickc

I had one in a PP Shan, longevity wasn’t fabulous, I think I replaced 2 in about 2 years, but no creaking at all, and easy to do.

jody
    Free Member

Any feedback on how the Shimano press fit thingumybobs last?

The original BB71 has lasted 3 years and a few thousand miles. No doubt would have gone a lot further if I hadn’t damaged it myself. No creaks and no movement

jody
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys. If there is little between them then I might aswell chuck another BB71 back in. Its done well so far and as others have said at £15/20 quid they are cheap enough items to replace.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the xtr one, I had that thought last time I changed mine and went xtr instead of xt and it didn’t last any longer so I’ve just bought another xt one to replace it this time.

I’ve always found my press fit bottom brackets last about half as long as the xt screw in hollowtech 2 bottom brackets on my other bike for some reason 😕

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The Hope one won’t fit the anthem anyway as it has a bulged BB shell.

Most people kill std press fits by over tightening the crank preload adjuster causing side load on the bearings. It needs just nipping up finger tight.

jody
    Free Member

Most people kill std press fits by over tightening the crank preload adjuster causing side load on the bearings. It needs just nipping up finger tight.

Good info to know!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Press fit BB help’ is closed to new replies.