Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Press fit 30 – help me understand ?
  • tomdaws
    Free Member

Ok my new spesh stumpjumper comes with a press fit bb. It does seem pretty simple – simple is always good too ! I get how the bearings press into the bb shell, but I don’t understand how the preload adjuster can work. To remove the cranks I just remove the chainring side bolt & & both cranks can be withdrawn. When I reassemble there’s a pre load adjuster on the left crank, but the right crank is pulled on by tightening it’s bolt to the correct torque – surely this doesn’t torque against the pre load adjuster ? Anyone shed any light on the correct way of servicing/assembling this ? The SRAM instructions aren’t the best I find.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not seen their latest stuff, but an educated guess based on their previous efforts is that the axle will be stepped behind the drive side bearing, and tightening the crank bolt will clamp the bearing between the step and the crank. On previous models the axle would then be free to float in the other bearing(preventing misguided attempts to preload the bearings from destroying them), but from your description the preload adjuster can be used to take up this float.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Press fit 30 – help me understand ?’ is closed to new replies.