• This topic has 38 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Preserving a dead Llama Foetus – Talk to me
  • kayak23

I’ve got this Llama foetus that I picked up from the witches market in La Paz, Bolivia on a trip for my 40th a couple (ok, 3) years back.

I’ve not got a picture of mine but I bought two, gave one to a friend and kept the other one in a tupperware tub. They look like these.
    They use them as offerings to Pachamama (Mother Earth) out there, but I thought they were pretty cool.

The one I gave to my friend kind of went a bit mouldy and smelly, but my one actually seems to be ok so far although I don’t often smell it.

I want to keep it fine forever so was wondering if there were any dead Llama foetus preservation experts in?

I had thought about casting it in resin. Anyone set anything similar into resin? I imagine you’d have to do an initial pour, let the resin gel and then lay it on top and pour again, so that it is surrounded.

What about a bottle of formaldehyde such as they put brains in,in the movies? Do Boots do it?

Any other ideas?
    It’s a nice memento of my trip and I don’t want the dog to eat it.

the-muffin-man

…and you got these through customs!!! 😯

lunge

Niche, very niche.

kayak23

…and you got these through customs!!!

Yeah, I was careful when I Alpaca-ad my case.

IGMC

perchypanther
    Free Member

Freeze it in carbonite. Hang it on wall.

councilof10
    Free Member

My friend is a spiritualist/agriculturalist who has a business preserving these…

Google him, he’s called the Karma Llama Embalmer Farmer.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Sealed jar with dessicant, that’s what I do with my victims collection

Harry_the_Spider

Encase it in pastry.

kayak23

councilof10 – Member
    My friend is a spiritualist/agriculturalist who has a business preserving these…

Google him, he’s called the Karma Llama Embalmer Farmer.

Lolz 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

tazzymtb

main thing is too keep the humidity down, so if your friend stored it in a moist environment then it would get surface mold.

you can either glass jar it. like Victorians, or encase it. To be hones even a spray varnish coating would be sufficient to prevent there being a direct organic source for anything to start growing on

DezB
    Free Member

Hope you picked up some tusks, a turtle shell and a few dead scorpions as well, or your collection won’t be complete.

kayak23

To be hones even a spray varnish coating would be sufficient to prevent there being a direct organic source for anything to start growing on

It does seem to have some sort of coating on it, unless that’s how they come…
    Almost like a rich varnish.

cheers_drive

STW: Your challenge, should you choose to except it, is to get this in to a story for Lauren Laverne to read out on her show

tazzymtb

well mummification is all down to getting the moisture out (taking all the squishy bits and salting etc) and then historically sealing with a pine resin or tar and so on, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it already was resin coated. as long as it kept in a room with relative humidity under 60% it should go moldy anyway.

5plusn8
    Free Member

we used to preserve a lucky rabbits foot in formaldehyde (sp) for a few weeks, then take it out and dry it. I still have one from about 1979 which is in good nick.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Dead things in general, not just llama foetuses, cannot talk. 😉

scud
    Free Member

That’s nicer than what i picked up in La Paz, i’ve got two screws in my shoulder and a massive scar in leg from crashing hard on Road of Death!

They did the surgery once in La Paz to reattach the head of the humerous, but then missed the fact i’d stabbed myself in leg with brake lever, so almost bled out. Then got back to UK only to have the surgery re-done to shoulder as they’d done such a bodge job, but the drugs they gave me where good!

Made the grand mistake of telling UK customs with my arm in a sling and stinking for 4 day journey back and having skinned my arm and face too, that i was travelling from Bolivia and someone else had packed my rucksack, never again!!

devash
    Free Member

I’d just boil it in a pan of salted, seasoned water for a few hours and then enjoy the tasty Llama foetus stock.

You can freeze the rest in ice cube trays to use in other recipes.

martinhutch

Smuggling in dessicated animals? bit of a Jerky idea.

legend
    Free Member

This has to be one of those things that only make sense on holiday…… you got your hair braided too didn’t you?!

Tiger6791

Not a Foetus going off, but…

I rang Chubb up and they came and sorted it when my Burglar LLama kept going off

perchypanther
    Free Member

Meanwhile……Somewhere on the Internet……..Jeff Minter is furious.

benp1

Surely quick dip in plastidip?

spot
    Free Member

you’re supposed to bury these under your new house (when building) for good luck
    so you will be needing a glass floor

ElShalimo

cheers_drive – Member
    STW: Your challenge, should you choose to except it, is to get this in to a story for Lauren Laverne to read out on her show

Double points if you can say that you’re sat in this nice café near Penrith

CheesybeanZ

Preserving a dead Llama Foetus – Talk to me

I think thats the strangest thread title I’ve seen on a bike forum
    😀 😀

matt_outandabout

I think on-one have a new model name in the offing.

“Dead Llama is our full on DH race bike, named after a forum legend on STW”

Andy-R

CheesybeanZ – Member
    Preserving a dead Llama Foetus – Talk to me
    I think thats the strangest thread title I’ve seen on a bike forum

Or pretty much anywhere really – it does beg the question “but why?”

eddiebaby
    Free Member

invisiframe.

Cougar

Meanwhile……Somewhere on the Internet……..Jeff Minter is furious.

Or after Shibboleth’s pun, has just got inspiration for his next title.

kayak23

scud – Member
    That’s nicer than what i picked up in La Paz, i’ve got two screws in my shoulder and a massive scar in leg from crashing hard on Road of Death!

Bad luck dude. Apart from obviously the totally stunning scenery, from a mountain biking perspective the road of death was about as gnarly as the climb at Llandegla…. 😕

devash – Member
    I’d just boil it in a pan of salted, seasoned water for a few hours and then enjoy the tasty Llama foetus stock.

Hmmm….I’m a veggie I’m afraid, hence why I want to give eternal life to my dead Llama baby friend 🙂

legend – Member
    This has to be one of those things that only make sense on holiday…… you got your hair braided too didn’t you?!

I would have if I had some for sure! 😥

spot – Member
    you’re supposed to bury these under your new house (when building) for good luck
    so you will be needing a glass floor

Nice idea for another shed I think.

eddiebaby – Member
    invisiframe

Surely they do a llama kit?

I’m thinking maybe combine the resin idea with the house idea and cast a clear house brick perhaps.

Jeff Minter is furious

Had to Google him… 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I’m a veggie I’m afraid

And it never occurred to you to think how they get Llama foetuses? That’s more unbelievable than the thread title!

Cougar

Well, when a mummy llama and a daddy llama love each other very much, they cuddle in a special way…

Tiger6791

And it never occurred to you to think how they get Llama foetuses? That’s more unbelievable than the thread title!

Step 1

Step 2

funkmasterp

Just checking in to see if the title actually pertains to the content. Yep! Okay, I’ll just leave this here then.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jJOwdrTA8Gw[/video]

kayak23

DezB – Member
    I’m a veggie I’m afraid

And it never occurred to you to think how they get Llama foetuses??

Yes it did. I asked our local guide and was satisfied with what I was told.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I really don’t know why you brought that back.

It should have been buried or cremated.

DezB
    Free Member

I asked our local guide and was satisfied with what I was told.

(sorry to bump) – thought I asked this yesterday, what was the answer? I’m intrigued, especially as the sale of them is illegal.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Preserving a dead Llama Foetus – Talk to me’ is closed to new replies.