Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Presentation Help
  • labsey
    Free Member

Evening all, I have to do a 20 minute training session/presentation as part of a job interview soon. The job is in learning and development which is my area.

The training session can be about anything, using any media as long as there’s a handout at the end. I’d like your advice on what it should be about. I’ve got a few ideas but nothing radical or memorable. I’m hoping you could throw some ideas at me. Sensible or silly. I don’t mind.

Thanks!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Presentation about how to give a presentation

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Use the medium of interpretive dance.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sc-xc

Presentation about how to give a presentation

How not to give a presentation could be more fun.

Northwind

Clipart. Lots of clipart.

labsey
    Free Member

Presentation about a presentation. That just might work.

JoeG
    Free Member

Make up a huge bunch of Powerpoint slides and print them all in that tiny 6-up format for your handout on both sides of the paper so that they all have to constantly flip pages. And read every word on each slide out loud for your presentation! 😉

My suggestion would be to pick a topic that helps you sell yourself. Look at this as an opportunity to make them aware of some other aspect about you that would not appear on your resume. Avoid like the plague anything that someone watching may know more about than you do, so nothing related to the prospective job.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You’re in L&D and you’re asking us for advice on presentations? I hope to goodness you teach computers or something.

Go on then. What’s the job you’re going for?

seba560
    Free Member

Presentation about a presentation. That just might work.

I’ve got a template and slides for that one. Not as daft as it sounds.

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you’re in L&D and you’re doing a presentation that is just you presenting to the audience then I guarantee you won’t get the job.

TubsRacing
    Free Member

Wot about mountain biking? Just remember to picture yourself naked whilst presenting.

andydicko
    Free Member

I once did one on ‘How to repair a puncture’ got the job too…..

spacemonkey

Depending on your topic, you might like to check out this method of presenting issues/challenges at the start before working your way to a solution. The idea being you capture people early on (more so if they relate to the issues/challenges) and keep them hooked through to the end.

Beyond Bullet Points

There are downloadable PDFs around too.

spacemonkey

Wot about mountain biking? Just remember to show a picture of yourself naked whilst presenting.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Somewhere I have the makings of a presentation on the biomechanical ergonomics of setting up your bike…

labsey
    Free Member

You’re in L&D and you’re asking us for advice on presentations? I hope to goodness you teach computers or something.

Haha I’ve no issue with the actual presenting. Do that day in and day out. It’s just the subject I’m trying to figure out. I’ve got a blank slate to work with. Some good comments though. Thanks.

geetee1972
    Free Member

So what is the job, who is the audience and what are they looking to achieve as a result of you doing this presentation.

labsey
    Free Member

The job is L&D Officer(in a nutshell some delivery, mostly assessing and rewriting material and processes), the audience is 4 random people who are there so I have someone to present to.

It’s followed by an interview. That’s pretty much all I’ve the brief says. Do a 20 minute presentation on anything you want. Include a handout.

seba560
    Free Member

and what are they looking to achieve as a result of you doing this presentation.

I imagine it’s to see whether the candidates can design, structure and give presentations, no?

labsey
    Free Member

I imagine it’s to see whether the candidates can design, structure and give presentations, no

Yes. Which I can do. I’m half tempted to recycle my last assignment from my PTLLS, which was to design a presentation and training session. That went down a storm.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I don’t understand why you would need to be good at presentations in order to assess suitability for an L&D role.

Quite the opposite really.

Now if they had asked you to compose and delivery a sample module of training on a subject of your choice that would make more sense.

Honestly that is what I would do. Tough to do in 20 mins. What kind of organisation is it and what kind of L&D needs do you think they have

geetee1972
    Free Member

Oh and I’d be going back and asking them some more questions around what they’re really looking to evaluate. And if they say its to see if you can present ask if that’s likely to be part of your job or whether facilitation is what they’re really looking to see you do.

seba560
    Free Member

Tough to do in 20 mins.

Sounds like someone needs to learn how to do presentations. 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Delivering a sample module of training is tough to do in 20 minutes. Presentations should never last more than 20mins.

seba560
    Free Member

So you have to be clever and present it properly. And I bet it can be done in 20 mins (and I don’t even know what the subject is).

labsey
    Free Member

Now if they had asked you to compose and delivery a sample module of training on a subject of your choice that would make more sense.

Me too and that is an option I’m considering. It’s in dispute resolution. The organisation has grown massively and L&D has been very reactionary. As more people join, it needs to be more proactive and structured moving forward.

What they’re looking for is how I plan and and facilitate. I want the subject to be memorable though.

Edit, I can do it in 20 mins, at the minute I don’t have a subject.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Seba presentation and facilitation for learning are very different.

If they have grown rapidly then most likely they are struggling with increased complexity and the transition from being flexible and nimble with little in the way of structure and process to having to introduce more of this to help manage the complexity.

Communication is usually the problem in situations like this.

Give their business focus – dispute resolution – how about something around coaching? That aligns to both their likely internal challenges and their own core competency.

I’m sure you’re familiar with a number of coaching models. You could write a short role play briefing, introduce the coaching concept, explain the theory and then have two of the audience do the role play with you coaching them afterwards. Or better still have the other two audience members coach them. That way everyone has a chance to practise the application.

labsey
    Free Member

That is gold. I’ve been toying with ways to make it interactive.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Glad you like it.

Where should I send the invoice to 😉

Seriously though good luck. Hope it works out. I’m on LinkedIn if you want to connect. Might be useful. My email address is in my profile.

labsey
    Free Member

Thanks mate. Will do.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Presentation Help’ is closed to new replies.