Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Present for my Dad's 70th
  • porkscratching
    Free Member

My Dad is, like many dads, completely impossible to buy presents for.

Things he already has too many of:
    Tools (car, wood and power)
    Car related stuff
    Gardening/sawing/chopping equipment
    Scarves/coats/hats

Things he does not want:
    Expensive booze (he prefers cheap)
    Cigars
    Clothes

His only real interests are classic cars and old British films.

What would you get for a man likes thats 70th birthday – My fallback options are:
    A Hudl (that he is likely not to use)
    A box set of Ealing comedies on DVD
    Some sort of steam engine toy/model

Any better ideas?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Some kind of steam day? Riding on a footplate, Steam track day if there is such a thing?

maccruiskeen

cheap booze

chaos

Photo book with family photos from each decade redone digitally?

Jamie
    Free Member

Sounds like you want to do, rather than buy, something.

A screening of one of his fav films? Maybe local arts cinema showing some old classics?

Day out at a car museum?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Club together and buy him a tiger moth flight or similar?

porkscratching
    Free Member

Day out isn’t a bad call, but he lives in the arse end of deepest darkest Devon and doesn’t leave much. Entertainment options are limited.

Riding on a footplate while smashed on cheap booze sounds like a good day out to me though.

project
    Free Member

Weekend away at a top hotel in Blackpool, recently featured on Trip Advisor.

porkscratching
    Free Member

We did the flying experience for his 60th – he loved it, but don’t think it’ll appeal again. There are 3 sons so we could club together though.

cozz
    Free Member

some classic car experience day ?

VIP trip to goodwood festival or something like that

JCL
    Free Member

Fleshlight? My Dad loves his.

daftvader
    Free Member

If there are a few to club together… How about a bohem stirling engine… link

rocketman
    Free Member

Balloon ride

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Coke and hookers.

lunge

Days out/memories are what I have gone for in recent years for my similar aged father. Things I have done:

Beer brewing day at a local brewery.
    Port tasting at a local merchants.
    A day out in London. Early train down, nice lunch, stroll around a couple of museums and a walk along the South Bank.
    Comedy show – Just buy him 2 tickets and he can take who he wants.
    Music gig – see above.
    Pudding club in Chipping Campden – Nice food and my old man loves his puddings.

I’m sure not all of the above will suit, but it might give you something to think about.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Riding on a footplate while smashed on cheap booze sounds like a good day out to me though.

Won’t be a 1st in Devon that’s for sure! 😉

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Chin up bar, put it up in the hallway and if he’s not inspired to use it, it can double as a coat hanger.

johndoh
    Free Member

And there are a few steam train rides around Devon too aren’t there?

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Wireless headphones for the TV, radio and music etc. Best present I have given my Dad and my Mum was ecstatic.

blurty

I think you need to consider that he would probably rather do something with you (and your sibs/ kids) rather than alone.

Red-letter days, or similar, can be an imposition unless he’s really into it.

Why not pay for him to join you (all) for a night away in London/ the Countryside etc

porkscratching
    Free Member

Those stirling engines are pretty!

Thanks for the suggestions, will talk to the brothers. London is probably out, he lived up there for a long time and shows no desire to return. Will research the local steam trains/drug dealers/hookers.

Not sure a day with all the grandkids will be a treat for him though – there are 7 of them between us, all under 5, all boys. It might kill him. His birthday lunch at the chinese restaurant is adults only for this reason.

Thanks again.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Present for my Dad's 70th’ is closed to new replies.