Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Prescription sunglasses or contacts?
  • lilesy
    Free Member

Hi,
    I have finally got to the stage where I am having to wear my glasses to ride in, does anyone wear contacts to ride and are they ok or can anyone recommend some prescription sun glasses for riding?

spev

After 20 years riding in glasses I finally succumbed to contacts. I only wear them for riding and surfing and they are superb, I use daily disposables after trying em for free from boots.
    I’d recommend them to anyone ( and I have a real problem putting stuff near my eyes)

Sandwich

Using monthly disposables here with extended wear (up to a week without a clean). No problems in 10+ years, though I need reading glasses now with them in 🙁

martymac

contacts all the way, your field of vision is much better than with glasses.
    ive been using contacts on and off for 20 years, no problems at all.

Hareydan
    Free Member

I’ve worn contacts for over 10 years now, never had a problem riding in them. I’d much rather ride in them than my specs!

ddmonkey

I use both, prescription sunglasses for days when I don’t need the contacts, then daily disposables for sport etc. They are great for cycling, especially when I’m downhilling and wearing goggles. I find when surfing that they can absorb a bit of the saltiness of the water and can get a bit sore after a while but that’s the only issue I have had.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Contacts. Simples

Northwind

Assuming you get on OK with contacts (not everyone does) I don’t think there’s an argument really. I can’t be bothered to wear mine daily, but I hardly ride without them and when I do, I wish I wasn’t.

You’ll probably still want to wear some sort of eyewear, since getting crap in your eyes with contacts can be fairly unpleasant (as can having one shift at speed, gulp) but then that’s no hardship, most people seem to wear glasses for descending anyway.

Oh, loads of people say they don’t like contacts or couldn’t get them in, tbh I think a lot of people just give up before really giving it a try- I hated them the first couple of times but it was 100% worth persevering. It’s a strange and unnatural thing to do, so don’t be surprised if it feels that way at first.

hardtail

always ride with contacts,no problems…….carry a spare lens in my camelback @ all times….just in case….

DaveRambo

+1 for contacts.

I wear monthly disposables and always carry at least 1spare pair.

On the bike I always wear decent glasses that fit my face and have changable lenses.
    Never had a problem

Main prob with prescription glasses steaming up. With lenses and non prescription glasses is you can take them off and see.

leighz
    Free Member

I’ve been trying some contacts out – and they’re good but vision isn’t as good as my specs, or as consistent – anyone else found this?

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

Both? I’ve used contacts for years, but for a quick hour or two’s blast in conditions where I’d wear glasses (flies/mud) I’m wondering about prescription Oakleys (big bucks though), the other half has just ordered some vari-focal prescription Oakleys photochromic (very big bucks). I have got to the sort of age where I can’t read the paper or a map with the non vari-focal contacts in, ie old, so the prescription glasses as an option may be even more useful for me (I can still take them off to read and fix small things).
    You mention having “got to the stage”, if thats adolescent short sight, go contacts, no debate. If it’s late 40’s near & far sighted problems it’s trickier, vari-focal contacts are good enough but not for everyone. You’ll need to discuss that with a clued up optometrist who understands sports related issues.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Check out Ortho K lenses….then you can ride without glasses or lenses!*
    *only if they are suitable for your prescription 😉

lilesy
    Free Member

thanks for the replys contacts and some smith multi lenses,
    cheers for the advice

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Prescription sunglasses or contacts?’ is closed to new replies.