Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • prescription riding glasses
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Evening…

Due to not getting on with contacts I want to go the route of prescription glasses…. But ****me they are expensive… It’d cost over 400 to re glaze my 2 pairs of oakley’s… Has anyone tried any of the safety glasses on offer eg the bolle twister or similar?

Bregante

Cheap frames of your choice and send them off to Cilliary Blue to get them glazed. Mine are great when they don’t steam up.

Fakeley Jawbones – £12
    Adaptalite lenses – £35 iirc

daftvader
    Free Member

Good shout that…. Have dropped them an email to see if they will do my oakley’s…

Bregante

They will do genuine ones. Service is first class in my experience. They post out a box, you return it with the frames and a copy of your prescription and around 48 hrs later you get them back.

kevin1911

Rxsport also do genuine oakley lenses for less than the full whack. Still pricey though.

mattbee

Yep, they will glaze anything. Had my wife’s A Wires and my Ti Wiskers done with transitions lenses by Ciliary Blue. The std transitions are £45, the anti scratch etc are £65 & have lasted me 18 months of biking, climbing and general wear.

daftvader
    Free Member

Rxsport are too rich for me £182 for lenses only… Ciliary blue look like the ones, lets see if they can do my flack jacket xlj….

kevin1911

mattbee – have you noticed any difference in the lense quality between the genuines and the Ciliary Blue ones?

mattbee

On the A Wires the curve is quite extreme on the lenses, the missus says they are a bit ‘fishbowly’ at the perimeter. The Wiskers are fine. Replaced non prescription platinum iridium polarised lenses so no direct comparison I can make, but I do have Ciluary Blue transitions in 3 pairs of glasses, wear them pretty much all the time.

TiRed

Rudy Rydon with Rx insert. I’m too long sighted for Oakley Rx lenses, and I had the Rudy insert glazed by my local lab. They are my favourite bike accessory. And I used to wear contacts, but got fed up with the pfaff, really.

Conan257
    Free Member

C.B. recently reglazed my Oakley Valve’s (classic oakley plastic style sports sunglasses).

I had them supply both clear and tinted lenses enabling me to swap between them depending on my requirements. Cost under £50 all in.

Excellent quality, service was a bit average but I think they were confused when 2 orders but only 1 set of frames arrived in the box. Once that was cleared up it was all spankingly good.

globalti
    Free Member

My only concern with glasses by post is that my optician always takes the time to measure the distance between the centres of my eyes. How is that done over the web?

mattjg
    Free Member

Just got a set of sports glasses from Specsavers (Bono-stylee), they do the job well so far, I forget I’m wearing them on the bike whereas my normal glasses were forever sliding off down my nose making a crash imminent.

Nobby

My only concern with glasses by post is that my optician always takes the time to measure the distance between the centres of my eyes. How is that done over the web?

I simply asked my optician for a copy of my prescription with the pupillary distance on it.

kevin1911

or you can measure it yourself in a mirror (or get someone else to do it to save you going cross-eyed)

daftvader
    Free Member

Right there’s no one that’ll do my oakley’s with new lenses as they have to be oakley ones only… So where do people get there fakeleys from??

Mugboo

A note of caution regarding sports glasses.

I took advantage of Specsavers 2-1 offer and got a set of sporty sunglasses with prescription lenses. My first attempt ride in them wasn’t good, the curve of the lense increased the prescription and made the ground look too close.
    They tried straightening the frames a little which helped a bit but in the end they just decreased the magnification of the lenses a little.
    They are perfect now and the best performance product I’ve ever bought. It’s amazing how much faster I can ride now I can see where I’m going!

For reference, I am slightly shortsighted with an uncomplicated prescription.

DavidB
    Free Member

Cillary Blue returned my Oakley Flak Jackets with a note saying they cannot glaze them?

daftvader
    Free Member

I emailed them and they said they can only be done with official oakley lenses…

paul_m

I guess it will depend on whether you are short sighted or long sighted, I have just started using some of the Dual glasses (these are bi-focal glasses with a reading glasses type prescription in the bottom of the lens) and find them really good (I just need glasses for reading, but find I can now read all the digits on the Garmin and can read maps etc)

Nobby

@ Mugboo

That’s why I went for glasses with prescription inserts. Got a pair with 2 lenses via Boots (can’t recall the make)as I get 50% off in there due to my contact lens deal. About £40 all in 🙂

Edit: They were SRX 09’s from Norville.

therevokid
    Free Member

+1 Rudy’s with insert … that way when your prescription changes
    it’s back to your optician of choice to get the insert reglazed:)

been doing that for 3 years now and I can get varifocal … yes I am
    now that old 😀

retro83
    Free Member

Any issues running inserts compared to normal glasses?

Nobby

Not found any yet (other than looking a bit odd with the clear lens on the glasses). You do need to turn your head further to look behind you but that applies to riding in any prescription glasses.

onewheelgood

I’ve got Rydons with bi-focal (optician advised against varifocals, can’t remember the reason) inserts and photochromic lenses. The optician had a program that compensated for the wraparound so the prescription is fine, unlike a pair I bought online a few years back and had to send back. I’m very happy with them, but they were over £300 all-in.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve given up and have resorted to dh goggles with all the foam poked out over my usual glasses. The main problem is the glasses jiggling about so I’ll try cb on some regular oakleys and see how it goes!

aP
    Free Member

I use Rudy Project Maya with high index plastic lenses. Not the cheapest, but they work well with ImpctX photochromic flip up lenses.
    With high base frames you need to have the lenses made to accommodate the curve. Rupp+Hubrach custom make lenses for your frames. If you do get inserts with high prescription be careful with the current fashion for polished lens edges as I get significant internal lens reflections, so I now specify ground edges to reduce that.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I had some lenses done by ciliary blue and they were awful. Couldn’t look down it made everything look like I was tripping. Sent them emails and they just ignored me.

daftvader
    Free Member

Well as its autumn now and majority of my riding will be done in the dark I have ordered a pair of bolle tracker 2 safety specs with an rx insert that I will get done by a local firm… Total cost less that £40 so will report back and let people know what they are like

kevin1911

I used to have various riding glasses with the inserts (Bloc and Adidas Evil Eyes) – they were great in the summer, but as soon as I went out in the rain or at night, the problems I had with fogging were immense. I’m told it’s less of a problem if you ride at a decent speed, but since moving to Oakley Transitions I’ve not had a problem. At night when the Transitions are still just a little too dark – I’ve been using contact lenses with vented clear lenses in the Oakleys.

Did anyone get a price from CB for the genuine Oakley prescription lenses?

globalti
    Free Member

Just bought myself and Gti Junior a set each of these:

The good point about this frame is that the sub-frame allows it to be glazed with almost any prescription; quite a clever design. I got varifocals in photochromic and they are absolutely excellent – they don’t even seem to mist up. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Here: http://www.specs2u.co.uk/sports-glasses/

badgerbater
    Free Member

globalti, those frames look good, how “large” are they and do the nose supports adjust? I ask, because whenever I try frames on, 9 times out of 10, they always come up small for my face and having a broad nose (realise that I’m not painting a very good picture here!), tend to sit up high on my face?

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

I have some of these http://www.sunwise.co.uk/products/montreal-white/

They come with interchangeable outer lenses, clear for riding at night, or when the weather’s crap, and a variety of tinted lenses. They are compatible with a prescription insert which isn’t too expensive. I got mine from here http://www.opulaopticians.co.uk/ and paid not much more than £50 for the glasses and the prescription insert (I was buying some regular specs too so think they cut me a deal)

globalti
    Free Member

Badgerbater – I can’t really answer that one. Why not ask your optician to get a set or buy them unglazed to try? We got ours from our local optician and tried them for fit before ordering the lenses.

(Ideal Eye Care in Wilpshire, Blackburn by the way – first class optician and always happy to negotiate on pricing.)

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Cillary Blue returned my Oakley Flak Jackets with a note saying they cannot glaze them?

Having spoken to CB before they won’t do Oakley lenses where you have to ‘bend’ them into the frame (like half/Flak Jackets) so you’d need jawbones etc.

Not sure whether Fast Jacket types would be okay – which is a good point as I need some PX lenses and happen to have a set of Fast Jackets spare, well reminded!

badgerbater
    Free Member

No problem Gti; just looking at the Bolle tracker 2 safety specs with an rx insert, which seem pretty good. Just not sure about the rx inserts and fogging of the lens, especially at night, which seems to be the time when I do the majority of my mid-week riding. daftvader, I’ll be interested in a progress report on nightime/wet riding!

cookeaa

CB recently did some Bolle Spider’s for me with their Standard lenses, they’re not bad but I think next time I’ll pay the extra for the thin lenses, the frame is light and cheap (under a tenner) and has a good wrap, without being too hard for them to glaze…

Still using a pair of CB re-glazed Fauxley jawbones, but I did have to take a dremel to the lenses after a couple of rides to improve the fit…

Pop CB an email with your prescription and the frame you are thinking about and just ask if they think it’s achievable, they normally respond within a day and are very helpful IME…

daftvader
    Free Member

Badgerbater as soon as I get them I will be getting them glazed by a local firm… Hopefully as they have just been dispatched I should have them all done and dusted by the middle of next week… Further information as events warrant!

mick_r

I’m just waiting for delivery of some Uvex prescription safety glasses at work (5508 in the catalogue link below).

If they work OK then I’ll probably get another set with transition lenses for biking. Still waiting to find out the price (all I know is they are £30 more than the nasty normal prescription safety glasses).

http://www.uvex-safety.co.uk/fileadmin/editors/en_UK/Online-catalogue/CAT_2013_individual_PPE_optics_UK/index.html#/6/

daftvader
    Free Member

Update on the bolle tracker 2….
    So after a couple of months use I thought I’d come back with a mini review. I use the tracker 2s every ride and find them fairly comfortable, but they are heavy and prone to steam up (I’ve got some visor clear from my local motor bike shop which works pretty well) they also don’t stay close to your face which means I’m constantly pushing them back on my nose. The peripheral vision is also not that great. Where the insert is held on with the foam inner frame, the constant taking apart to clean has caused it to break which is annoying but its still usable. All in all yes they work, just not very well, yes they were exceptionally cheap (total cost less than 30 quid) but as riding glasses they just don’t hit the spot as riding glasses. They will do for the rest of the winter but as soon as I can afford it I will be getting some transition type lenses for my oakley’s
    Cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘prescription riding glasses’ is closed to new replies.