Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Prescription glasses, which ones
  • bikebob

Would be interested to know what prescription glasses people are wearing for riding.

GrahamS

Me too actually.

(And too squeamish to have someone slice open my eyeball and fire lasers at it, before anyone suggests it)

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve been using prescription Oakleys for the last 3 or so years. Flak Jacket XLJs. Expensive, but I reckon the best upgrade to my riding I’ve ever invested in. I have the Transition lens which goes (just) clear enough for night riding and is fine through the sunniest day without being overly dark. It seems to change quickly enough in and out of woods too.

I’m just about to splash on a set of Windjackets….

ell_tell
    Free Member

Tick.

Wear glasses everyday & need a new pair soon. Have daily contacts but sometimes wear glasses riding so really could do with a pair suitable for sports use as well as everyday wear. Some Oakleys look like they might fit the bill.

Do you guys buy online or the high street?

martymac

ive been wearing (sporadically, i use contacts about half the time) oakley square wires for 6 years, they still look (almost) like new.
    they are without doubt the best quality frames ive used in the 35 years ive been wearing gregorys.
    got em from vision express.

TiRed

Rudy project rydon with Rx insert. I’m +5 and can’t have glazed Oakleys. I also sometimes wear contact lenses. Some distortions – which the brain soon adjusts too, and some problems with steaming on rainy days. But overall, I’m very pleased. They are universally popular for a reason.

Northwind

For actual proper riding, I just wear contacts but it’d be nice to have a cheap pair of prescription riding glasses to just chuck on when it suits. Even if it’s just inserts (though I am fully aware that they suck)

aP
    Free Member

Rudy Project Maya. However, the UK importers seem to have made it as difficult as possible to get them. Work well though.

JoeG
    Free Member

WileyX Air Rage frames with prescription Transitions lenses for riding for me.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Rudy project rydons with impactx photochromatic and rx inserts. Love them. However as with djaustin sometimes steam up on colder days when going up hills. Does thwn take a while to clear with dual lenses. I am only -3 but with an astygmatism so actual prescription curved lenses were apparently too difficult to make. Honestly don’t notice the inserts most of the time, also occasionally wear contacts so can just take out the inserts on those days. The photochromatic does nor like extreme cold (-20C) as goes very dark but obviously doesn’t happen often.

stratman
    Free Member

My wife uses Adidas evil eyes with a removable insert. Took a bit of getting used to but she now finds them great

UK-FLATLANDER

Rudy Exceptions -best glasses I’ve had in 45 years of wearing specs, including normal glasses.

mrmo
    Free Member

wear what i wear most of the time a set of Lindberg Air’s

bikebob

Thanks for everyones input. Should have said I’ve tried evil eye with rx insert but double glazing is very prone to misting up. Bit of a pain wiping 4 lenses.
    I’ll check out the recommends and the previous thread. Thanks.

footflaps

I have two sets of Prescription sun glasses from Optilabs, one dark, one reactolite (or whatever its now called). Very pleased with both set, the sunglasses are about 5 years old now and have been worn 100s of time and still in great nick.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

I’ve been quite interested in getting a set for some time. I normally wear contacts with normal sunglasses but it would be nice to be able to just throw a pair of prescription riding glasses on. The only thing that puts me off is the misting up! Easy to take misting glasses off when you’ve got contacts in but a problem when wearing prescription glasses.

How do these prescription glasses perform?

mikey74
    Free Member

Another vote for Optilabs.

footflaps

I’ve got no complaints whatsoever and will get the same set again when they finally die / get run over. Sometimes they get a bit misty when you stop, but after riding a few metres, they clear fine. I use mine for walking, running, riding and driving.

EDIT: Also ski in them, only use Goggles if there’s a real snow storm blowing.

onewheelgood

Optilabs here too. Photochromics.

thehustler
    Free Member

Jfrey hybrid sports/opthalmic frame with custom sized essilor transition extra active lenses………..this would be a VERY expensive option if I didn’t own the opticians……….I also use a pair of maui jim’s for bright days no one even comes close to their lens tech for sunnies atm, again a ridiculous amount of money but they are the best and you only get 1 set of eyes

handbrake
    Free Member

I wear evil eye pro with insert as you get a choice of lens colours, but I sell a lot of Oakley Rx …which always impress by their quality and lens colour. Also, I’ve just had a look at the Nike range of prescription sports specs, which look like good value considering the lens technology involved…. There’s a cycle specific lens system coming out soon for those that need varifocals. Bog standard lenses perform very poorly in wrapped styles, so specially designed lenses are a must in my professional opinion

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Another one for Rudy Project Rydon with x-impact photochromatic lenses & RX inserts. I have some racing red lenses too I can swap in.

I think these are pretty good as you dont really see the inserts as mine are rimless. The inserts are pretty expensive though (all types – but shop around to get the cheapest). I also got mine glazed by one of the cheap on-line companies ‘specs4less’ I think.

I have also used them for windsurfing………..

John

leythervegas
    Free Member

I manage an opticians and I’ve seen loads of different ranges but I think the best is the new Nike vision range. Its a multi-sport range of frames but they are great for biking and running as the prescription is made by a decent optical lens company so they do offset prisms to compensate the wrap of the frame. Also think they are cheaper than oakley. Can do you a good deal if you want! Uvex is pretty good too.

mintimperial

Oakley Split-jackets with transitions Rx lenses from a place called Extreme Eyewear (Oakley Rx lenses aren’t strong enough for my eyes). Best money I’ve spent on bike kit ever, and made a huge difference to my riding – who would have guessed being able to see properly was that important?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Prescription glasses, which ones’ is closed to new replies.