Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • prescription Glasses vs Goggles & Contact Lenses?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I use a pair of prescription Oakley sunglasses for all my riding. My vision is such that riding without them would make an already dangerous situation become extremely dangerous as I simply wouldn’t see sharp rocks, ruts and so on!

I’ve been curious about goggles for a while thinking they’d be good in the wetter and colder weather but would obviously need to combine these with contact lenses to make it an accurate comparison. I’ve also been looking at full face helmets and have found that glasses ‘arms’ inside can be uncomfortable.

Is anyone using goggles and contacts – any issues with that combo compared to using glasses? Fogging? Or are they miles better for any reason?

In addition my current glasses have a transition lens which works well but looking at the googles I might go for 2 different changeable lenses. Any views on what the best combo is for UK riding? 1 clear and 1 slightly darker?

Will

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Goggles will restrict peripheral vision to some degree, especially downwards. Also cheap ones fog badly and they get wet when you lift them up onto your wet helmet when you stop for a chat.

escrs
    Free Member

I wear Oakley glasses with prescription lenses (transition lenses)

They are fine for trail riding in a normal helmet

When riding downhill (BPW)for example) wearing a full face with glasses and a set of Oakley Googles (L frames, designed for glasses)i found that it felt like my eyes were rattling around my head

Swapped over to my contacts and all was good, you will get some fogging with any googles in certain conditions, best to get some with good vents

Ive got a dark lens and a clear one depending on the light conditions

teethgrinder

I wear contacts… Hate wearing my geggs. Used to use Oakley glasses all the time, but now wear Oakley goggles as they keep more mud out, but also I don’t have them over my eyes all the time.

No issues with steaming up. Only use clear lenses now, and pattern ones are £6 each from MX shops.

Worn with a Bell Super 2r because Endoooooro

christof
    Free Member

I wear a pair of OTG (over the glasses) goggles. Most brands do some variant of these. I think mine are Scott Recoil xi.
    So long as I’m moving in a downward fashion I get no steaming! When I’m climbing, I put them up in my helmet.
    You tend to get steaming on your glasses more than the goggle lens. I’ve started putting a small bit of washing up liquid dry on to my glasses and buffing it out, which seems to work.

martymac

I find that i can see better with contacts than i can see with glasses, so i tend to use contacts and normal sunglasses.
    My normal sunglasses are oakley radar with the photochromic lens.
    Its an excellent lens, so good that I don’t notice it changing between clear and tint.
    If you do more DH type riding, goggles may be better for that, im a pootler.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘prescription Glasses vs Goggles & Contact Lenses?’ is closed to new replies.