• This topic has 25 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Prescription glasses for riding – any good ones out there?
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Cant wear contact lenses so now after a decent pair of prescription glasses to ride in. Can anyone recommend any?

Wondering if i should go for ones with lenses that go over the prescription frame to avoid the prescription lens getting scratched – or are they just crap?

scotroutes

I’ve been using prescription Oakley Transitions for years. Can’t fault them. In fact, I’ve just ordered another set.

Kuco

Used Adidas Evil Eye for years with the inserts then got some Oakley Transition lenses this year for my Flack Jackets. While the Adidas are good I wished I opted for the Oakleys years ago. That impressed with them I’ve just brought some Oakley Chamfer for everyday use.

shermer75
    Free Member

I ride in my regular glasses 🙂

jes
    Free Member

Currently using rudy project with Rx insert, cheapest, most versatile option.
    I am in optical manufacturing 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I wear Oakley crosslink.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

I’ve got quite severe astigmatism. Can i get oakley lenses

colournoise

For years I rode in cheap ‘disposable’ second pairs after scratching too many decent pairs to buggery.

Then I spoke to RX Sport about getting some inserts for my silly high prescription (no way any curved riding glasses could be directly glazed for me) and they sorted me some Adidas Evil Eyes with inserts. Changeable outer lenses is a bonus for different light conditions and I’m really happy with them overall.

ratherbeintobago

I’ve got quite severe astigmatism. Can i get oakley lenses

I can’t, but whether this is due to astigmatism (R eye) or -5.75 prescription (L eye) I can’t remember.

roger_mellie

I’ve had a pair of Addidas evil eye for about 7 years and they’re comfortable, adjustable, easily changeable lenses (so good for all year round), designed to come apart in a crash, but the flaw of having prescription inserts is when it’s raining they fog up and don’t clear well (despite claiming to be ‘anti fog’).
    Water gets trapped between the 2 sets of lenses and doesn’t clear easily. I’ll look at Oakley’s when it’s time to replace.
    Having seen the after effects of someone crash whilst wearing standard glasses I wouldn’t recommend that as an option!

mattbee

Before I went to contacts I used Oakley Crosslink with transition lenses.

jonnyrockymountain

Oakley cross links here, less than £200 for transition lenses

Kuco

It was the fogging up that roger mellie mentions why I changed. Other than that the Adidas are good glasses and come in a small and large version.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Joakley Jawbone’s and lenses from cilary blue

aP
    Free Member

My prescription is -11 and I use Rudy Project Maya, which annoyingly have recently been discontinued. Previously I used RP Exception. Both of these have relatively small rigid inserts for lenses with a hinged photochromic front lens. I’ve been very happy with them. The hinged front allows greater ventilation in high humidity or to adapt to rapid light level changes (i.e. Descending down to Bourg d’Oisans on the Marmotte through the tunnels with a bend in them).
    If you get lenses from Rupp+Hubrach then they’ll produce lenses suitable for higher base frames.

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

Second the Oakley Crosslink family. You can pick them up online pretty cheap and as long as they have a full rim, then you can buy normal transition prescription lenses a hell of a lot cheaper than the plastic and easily scratchable, stupidly expensive Oakley lenses.

I’ve just bought a second pair from eyewearbrands for around £140 all in.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I bought some jawbones and got some lenses from rx sports.
    Work really well.
    Tried inserts with normal lenses but didn’t quite work for me.
    Fogged up on both lenses so one set of lense’s is good enough for me.
    Thanks,
    Max

scotroutes

Five years with one set of Oakley lenses and I only changed because my prescription did.

crezzy

Couldn’t be doing with breaking expensive prescription sun glasses anymore so went to spec savers and found that they do puma sports sunglasses ,they come with idrum,clear and yellow lenses .cost me £100 but got a second per free

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Crosslinks for £140 sounds the way to go

Which are the best transition lenses to go for?

davosaurusrex

Watching this with interest. Want some transitions and am also getting tired of contacts so thinking of investing. Also looking at crosslink zeros, how do you measure your frame size? Guess I need to try on but never keen on using shops and then buying online. Would also like some transition lenses that go as clear as possible if anyone has recommendations, ta.

OP -also had some Evil Eyes with inserts but found them a poor compromise, wouldn’t go that route again

backinireland
    Free Member

Always rode with contacts
    Did relentless 24 last October and reckoned couldn’t cope with contacts for 24 hours
    Popped into Specsavers who sorted me with a pair of sunglasses frames with transition lenses for 60 odd quid
    They did the job and I’ve been using them for cycling day night mtb and road since

nicholas_yiu

Another one with Oakley jawbones and lenses from ciliary blue.

I used to have a normal tinted pair for driving and a pair of transition for riding but the nice bloke there talked me into getting these extra transition lenses with mirror coating.

I ended up going for all the options which cost me £190!

In summary, mine does:

1. Goes dark in the car so works for driving
    2. Thinner lenses that look normal, stronger and lightweight
    3. Mirror coating that disappears in the dark

I would say if I have the choice again, I would have gone for 2 set of lenses again because:

1. There is a blue tint when the lenses are suppose to be clear. I ride in the dark with them so not ideal
    2. The lenses didn’t go as drak as my old ones and not as quick to go dark.

However, I like them because:

1. No need to swap lenses again
    2. They go from dark to light ridiculous quickly which is a good thing when riding in the woods.
    3. The mirror coating does look good

That’s my 2p

johnw1984
    Free Member

Me and the Wife have the Specsavers Puma glasses. They are a bargain, but suffer from fogging up a lot.

I’m looking for an alternative now so I reckon I might try some of those Crosslink.

somouk
    Free Member

Ciliary blue customer here too, had a couple of sets done by them and the service is excellent for the money.

TiRed

Rudy Rydon with Rx insert for my +5 prescription. They were pretty hopeless in the foggy slime on the Surrey hills the other night, but are otherwise fantastic. I’ll try some anti fogging no agent. The photo chromatic outer lenses are excellent in all lighting including night.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Prescription glasses for riding – any good ones out there?’ is closed to new replies.