• This topic has 32 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • prescription cycling glasses
  • grynch
    Free Member

hi — can anyone recommend some good cycling prescription glasses , preferably ones that will not make me look like the GreenHornet on a bad hairday.

p.s.. and before anyone says.. “shoulda gone to specsavers”

I did.. and they had crap all for sports glasses

grynch
    Free Member

oh.. I’ve been looking at Rudy Project.. anyone have them?

cirlam
    Free Member

I just recently got these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29492

bloody good for the money and they come with the prescription insert. Really good quality, and if you shop around with reglazing people, you can set yourself up with a set of prescription glasses for under £30, which is rediculous!

the lenses don’t steam up at all, fit perfectly, feel nice and solid, and don’t look tooo bad. I like them so much that I’ve bought another pair just in case I lose them.

druidh
    Free Member

Oakley Half Jackets. Go for the bigger XLJ lens.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Cirlam – if I order those CRC specs, are you saying I can then take them to say Specsavers who will then alter the lenses so that they fit my prescription?

Cheers

Si

grynch
    Free Member

druid… on the Oakleys.. are the lenses prescriptions or do they have … oh what do you call them… fit in’s behind the dark glasses.

grynch
    Free Member

and for £14. the chain reaction look interesting.. cripes I could lose a pair a week and not half worry. *L*

funkynick

The new spangly Rudy Project ones don’t seem to be available yet… I just get told they will be available soon when I call the distributors! I might have to give them another poke though, it was a few months ago last time I checked…

If they don’t pull their fingers out soon I’ll end up with some Oakleys or something… but I’d rather not pay quite that much really…

cirlam
    Free Member

Well I personally wouldn’t suggest specsavers, as they were trying to charge me £39 for a reglaze, however there is no reason why they couldn’t. I found a place online that reglazes for £10 (provided you know your prescription)here http://www.specsonthenet.com/

I’ve yet to receive them back from the reglazing people (only sent off the insert today), but I have ridden with the glasses and contact lenses and I am suitably impressed.

Kieran

Have you tried contact lenses?

I do quite a few different outdoor sports, and am always amazed by the amount of people who wear glasses. Since I started wearing contacts a few years ago they’ve completely changed my life for the better.

Although not everybody can get them, I leave my contacts in for 30 days, even sleep in them and they’re great. Biggest problem I have is remembering to change them at the end of the month.

Means I can wear any kind of sunglasses/protective glasses without worrying about prescriptions

Eggbox
    Free Member

optilabs.com. Do a search on here for more info.

druidh
    Free Member

grynch – the Oakleys are prescription lenses.

I tried contacts. I found that any breeze into my eyes (even around sunnies) would make my eyes water and a lens would pop out.

I looked at the sunnies with the RX insert. However, as I’m a bit of a sweaty bastid, I reckoned that I’d get too much steaming up.

The Oakleys have been just superb. I though I might have to buy multiple lenses (now it’s getting very expensive) but the Transitions go clear enough for night riding and dark enough for the sunniest weather (well – I am in Scotland).

hora
    Free Member

TICK. After getting sheep-poo flicked into my eyes I want some!

thehustler
    Free Member

….online glasses suppliers, and when you cant see thru them you’ll go back to you opticians and ask why?………high street opticians should start charging to diagnose the problems found in online specs, then people would maybe think twice, but hey ho you only get one pair of eyes

hora
    Free Member

the hustler I hear you. Problem is some people cant afford the £200+ that retailers charge though. I went into Vision Express yesterday and all they could offer me (sportswise) was well over £200 inc lenses etc.

Even optilabs is Min £150 and I dont think thats good value. My lens scratched easily, the arms shedded their plastic coating in no time, the lens gave me false depth-perception due to the curve in the lens and I dont think their frames are worth what they charge. Only an opinion but its based on first hand experience.

CaptJon
    Free Member

….online glasses suppliers, and when you cant see thru them you’ll go back to you opticians and ask why?………high street opticians should start charging to diagnose the problems found in online specs, then people would maybe think twice, but hey ho you only get one pair of eyes

Are you saying the labs of online suppliers can’t produce lenses to a particular prescription?

cirlam
    Free Member

if an online shop has the same prescription details that the specsavers labrats use to make my glasses, what is the difference?

thehustler
    Free Member

well the high street guys charge what they do because they have staff and some v expensive equiptment to pay for that is not covered in the cost of an eye test (real cost is approx50-60quid most peeps pay 15-25)
    with regard to frame quality i wouldn’t comment without seing it but the glazing sounds dodgy as high base curve lenses require adjustment s to take this into account when glazing.

thehustler
    Free Member

btw hora what type of spec /prescription are you looking at and i will give you a realistic idea of costs

aP
    Free Member

I have RP Exception as my prescription is -11. I got mine through Schuller Opticians in Lambs Conduit Street. I did pay a fair bit for them but then I get really good customer service from Schullers, including them getting me a free pair of the ImpactX photochromic lenses after I had a rather bad crash at the end of 2007 (7 stitsches to my left eye and a partially detached vitreous)
    Previsouly I used to use Briko Endure Evo but the inserts were slightly too curved even though Schullers got Rupp+Hubrach to make what they said at the time was one of the highest precription high base lenses they’d made – took 2 goes mind.
    I’m very happy to pay for good service, and I get it.
    Oh, and I get my eye tests free as well.

samuri
    Free Member

Are you saying the labs of online suppliers can’t produce lenses to a particular prescription?

I’d say the opposite, high street stores offer a very limited range of lenses for sports glasses in my experience. I tried to go to local stores but they couldn’t accomodate my prescription, and it’s not *that* bad to be honest. I wrote a fantastic post on here about and how I kicked ass at my local opticians and then the MD phoned me up to tell me to eff off so I went to specsavers, got myself a presecription including the dispensing information thatthe first guy wouldn’t give me for free and then gotmy glasses online.

edit: and sorry but the space baron my laptop doesn’t work very well.

hora
    Free Member

the hustler – Member

btw hora what type of spec /prescription are you looking at and i will give you a realistic idea of costs

I currently wear made to measure plastic jobbies from Vision Express when riding. Not ideal as theres a huge crescent-shaped gap under my eyes for dust and chod to flick up (often). So something thats snug and:
    Right- 150 cyl-025 axis 10
    Left- 150 cyl-025 axis 160

grynch
    Free Member

thanks all..
    and I too tried contacts years ago and had trouble with mud etc… I’d wind up wearing glasses over the contacts.

Wally

I have some optilabs arriving any moment. Will let you know if they are any good.

brant
    Free Member

I just spunked the £260 for a 2nd set of off-bike Oakleys from Vision Express. I now have Oakley on and off bike glasses, which works great as the Oakley lenses are dead curved and you go all wonky if you put on Oakley riding glasses after having worn flatter normal ones.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Do you know what prescription oakley’s go up to? I seem to remember that because of the curved lense there is a limit

Eggbox
    Free Member

I think it’s around -4 and very low CYL. I know I couldn’t get them with -6 and high CYL, so got Optilabs instead.

chipps

I tend to use Smith Hudson sunglasses – nice coverage, good fit and good wraparound lenses, and then get them glazed at my local optician, who are happy to do it even though I don’t get the frames from them as they don’t stock anything similar. I have a pair for ‘mud’ and a pair for regular wearing, but it doesn’t matter if I forget to swap glasses before or after a ride.

Mind you, it depends if you mind looking like Joe 90, which I obviously don’t 🙂

I have disposable contacts, but tend to only wear them if I’m out riding all day as I’m too lazy/forgetful to put them in for short spins.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I use Adidas Evil Eyes – cost a bot more than the CRC ones, but the optical insert can be replaced for £25 according to my optician. the legs can be replaced with a band (supplied, and the outer lenses are interchangeable – check the list.
    Clicky here

NJA

I got some Oakley lookalike glasses from my local tesco’s opticians with the prescription insert and a new eye test for the grand total of £40 all in! They only had a choice of three colours and you can’t get interchangeable lenses for them but they were forty quid and I can see really well and my day to day specs are not at risk. As far as I know this was the regular price and not a special offer.

105champ
    Free Member

I’ve had two pairs of Optilabs, due to a prescription change. In both cases the glazing wasn’t up to a tremendous standard, which led to some distortion at the periphery. In addition, they scratched pretty easily and if i hadn’t lost them, I would have had to replace the lenses soon. However, they were much cheaper a year or so ago. As I’ve recently lost my pair i’m in the market for some more prescription glasses.

Looking at the cost of prescription Oakleys from isyte.com, which handily has their store in my village, i’m now going down the oakley route. Not much more expensive than Optilabs nowadays and i’m sure the lens quality/glazing will be worth the price difference.

hora
    Free Member

Let me get this straight, it is possible to get a reglaze on the lens themselves?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘prescription cycling glasses’ is closed to new replies.