Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Preparation for chain snapping…
  • ryanctj
    Free Member

i’m looking for something to help me prepare for a chain breaking on the trail. I’ve got a 10 speed shimano chain. I’ve heard of Power Links and a friend of mine recommended something called a Missing Link. Are these the same thing with different names? Are they easy to use?

druidh
    Free Member

Get a KMC Missing Link, not a SRAM Powerlink. The former are made to be taken apart without tools.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You dont need a tool to take a power link apart either – well not for 9 speed is the 10 speed actually different?
    Cant see much myself if any

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Tools for a SRAM powerlink?

3 pairs of powerlinks are usually under a fiver.

druidh
    Free Member

10-speed = Powerlock, not Powerlink.

The Powerlocks are NOT designed to be taken apart (although some folk claim they are managing it).

FWIW, I’ve used a 9-speed Powerlink on a 10-speed chain for a while but again, some folk are reporting issues.

andyl
    Free Member

you’ll want a chain breaker to remove a damaged link and a couple of links – I use KMC ones. Also useful to take a chunk of spare chain left over from when you fitted it (if you have some). No need for the kitchen sink approach – I just put a couple of KMC links and a short bit of chain in my puncture repair kit and have a Topeak multitool with a chain breaker on.

andyl
    Free Member

you’ll want a chain breaker to remove a damaged link and a couple of links – I use KMC ones. Also useful to take a chunk of spare chain left over from when you fitted it (if you have some). No need for the kitchen sink approach – I just put a couple of KMC links and a short bit of chain in my puncture repair kit and have a Topeak multitool with a chain breaker on.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Pretty much the only tool I carry is http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7456

The chain breaker is very good. Mine is about 8 years old now.

dantsw13

I carry the same as Andy. YBN quicklinks are good too, and can be had cheaply. 10 SPD links seem to cost 2-3 times 9 SPD ones – god knows why!!

I always have a spare 9 SPD link in my pack too, just cos I’m nice 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Preparation for chain snapping…’ is closed to new replies.