Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Premium Bonds or Childrens Bonds?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I need a way to put away a little something for my daughters future and am thinking of one of the above.

The idea is to add to the fund at least annually on every birthday – but my understanding of Children’s bonds is that this will come with the drawback of effectively creating a new ‘ISA’ every single time I invest – each of which requiring re-investment after 5 years. I am not a good administrator.

With Premium bonds I give up the guaranteed 2.5% interest rate, but can add to the fund as and when with no penalty. I could then theoretically reinvest the lump sum into a larger nest egg ISA after a number of years have passed.

What are your thoughts/experiences guys?
    Should I forego the interest for the ease of admin plus a hope in hell’s chance of a prize payout?

I should add for clarity that I am not on the best terms with daughters mother and am preferring a level of anonymity/privacy/control with regards to any account raised.
    To my current understanding, i need the birth certificate details to raise an account?

woody2000

Find a decent kids ISA – we’re getting ~5% on ours I think. Not Prem bonds – you’re effectively losing money with those really.

slimjim78
    Free Member

5% is good, but I can only invest modest amounts each year. I’m not sure I like the idea of reinvesting a new ISA every year (whilst the fixed term rolls on with previous investments) – keeping track of up to 15 accounts will be a PITA, surely?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Premium Bonds or Childrens Bonds?’ is closed to new replies.