Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • premium bonds
  • cycleworlduk
    Free Member

just put a sizeable chunk of cash in them….am i gonna win big? not had them before…thought it was better theyre than in my account or savings etc…

Cletus

Unlikely.

I had £2000 for over four years before I won anything (£50). I then won £50 approx every year until the last two when I only won one £25 prize.

Very poor return and the chances of winning a life changing amount are infinitessimally small.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

each bond has a chance of 1 in 24000 in winning each month and the average payout is 1.8% pa. if you have 24000 bonds you will probably win on average of once every month

-m-
    Free Member

The endlessly-irrititating-Martin-Lewis guide to premium bonds

As has been said above, they’re not a particularly great investment option. In general you will earn below the stated interest rate, and below what you could earn elsewhere. If you’ve done something sensible with all your other cash then they’re OK as a bit of fun.

simon_g

Better than buying lottery tickets. The chances of winning enough to cover lost interest (not that it’s much right now) is very small though.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I had £2000 for over four years before I won anything (£50).

i had 4k and started winning quite quickly had numerous 25’s a few 50’s and 1 £100 over about 5 years.
    they worked out good value for me, but for that to happen people like you have to be unlucky 🙂

much better return than the lottery which is a tax on the stupid and desperate.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i put the max in…wont leave it for ever and seemed to get nowt in savings account…ill give any updates if they come!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I put the max in too. I usually get £50 a month so its not too bad. Most I’ve won was £250. So far its worked out better than the building society rates.

elaineanne
    Free Member

my mother in law gave my son 20 quids worth of bonds about 23 years ago… never won a goddam thing…not even a sausage ! i used to check it myself for a while if we haf won anything…then havent checked for years cos i forgot about it…… do you get notified if you have won or is it up to yourself to check… 😉

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

buy them in blocks of numbers i.e. all your investment has consecutive numbers for the best chance of winning

From the little I know of statistics and probability theory, I can’t see how that would increase your chances.
    Can you explain it ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘premium bonds’ is closed to new replies.