Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Premium bonds ?
  • justa
    Free Member

I’ve got somemoney to but into a savings accounts – not loads just a couple of grand

As the interest rates are so poor is it worth sticking it into premium bonds ?

Guessing the chances of wnning anything woould be pretty slim….

MrsTricky
    Free Member

Better than the lottery – two chances a month of a million. My daughter gets a couple of £50 wins a year. And you can always get your money back if you need to.

MrsT

stevomcd
    Free Member

My mate has £20k in them and wins £50 or so every other month on average. I have £200 and have won ****-all in two years…

lucky
    Free Member

ive just had two £50 wins in two weeks, its got to be better than putting it in the bank.

-m-
    Free Member

Good points: capital is safe and accessible if you want it back; average rate of return is ‘ok’; you *might* win a lot; winnings are not taxable

Bad points: you *might not* win anything; the average rate of return overall is not stellar

EDIT: Prize fund was cut yesterday to 1%, i.e. the prize fund is 1% of the total amount invested. The number of prizes of different values was also adjusted to maintain similar odds of winning.

MrSmith
    Free Member

had good returns from 5k for a couple of years, above average which means somebody else is getting below average. halved my investment now though as the rates have dropped and better returns available elsewhere

druidh
    Free Member

Remember that you’re not getting any interest – only a random share of the prize fund. That means your money will be worth less (due to inflation) when you come to withdraw it. I’m thinking of stashing a couple of £K in there too.

dave360

Interesting this. I’ve got a few grand heading my way next month when a policy matures and was thinking of giving premium bonds a punt for a year. Where would you recommend I put it Mr S?

boriselbrus
    Free Member
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Premium bonds ?’ is closed to new replies.