Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Premiership football – poor skill levels?
  • alanl
    Free Member

For the first time in many years, I attended a premier league fixture between 2 mid table teams.
    It was a great afternoon out, and probably worth the extortionate fee I paid – it isnt a price I would pay once a month never mind every 2 weeks.
    Anyway, to the players. These are hyped up to be the best players in the World.
    I didnt see any of that today. Passes in midfield, under no pressure, but still go behind the player they are meant for. Clumsy tackles that incur a yellow card.
    Surely these players are practising every day, and should be making perfect passes 95% of the time.
    I realise they are under pressure with the other team coming toward them, but some today were under no pressure, yet didnt get the ball within 5 metres of the intended target.
    Stupid tackles when the opposition are boxed in going nowhere, only to get a free kick and a yellow card against you.

Why don’t the Managers get the players skill levels higher?
    Why do they let players get away with some of the stupid things they do?

irelanst
    Free Member

I attended a premier league fixture between 2 mid table teams.

Last day of the season, nothing to play for, probably just grinding out 90mins before jetting off somewhere nice with an underwear model for the summer.

nealglover
    Free Member

Get on twitter and make the suggestion.
    I bet they haven’t thought of trying that 😆

tomhoward

It really annoys me when the player taking a corner can’t clear the first man.

One job etc

angeldust
    Free Member

Either a troll or you have no idea about football. It’s really not as simple as you think it is. If it was they would be doing it. This is the sort of thing you hear from someone who has no interest in football but becomes an expert every 4 years when England struggle to get out of the group stages in the World Cup :roll:.

Also players from two mid-table premiership teams could potentially be quite some way down from ‘the best in the world’ (despite what they still get paid).

alanl
    Free Member

Not a troll.
    Look at rugby.
    They practice and practice until their set play pieces are pretty much perfect, then when they play, they get around 80% of the ball through their practice.
    Why cant footballers pass the ball to within a metre of the target?
    It’s a serious question. And yes, clearly I know nothing, and want to know why the players can get away with it?
    Surely they should be able to do it with near perfect accuracy every time, if that is their job?
    I spoke to an ex player a few years ago, he said players do stupid things on the pitch, because, basically, some of them are really thick and cant/wont follow orders. I dont think that is true, apart from maybe a small number, but really, they know they will get a yellow/red card for a daft challenge, yet they still do it. 3 yellow cards today, all were unnecessary challenges.
    Managers must be losing sleep about some of the decisions players make on the field.

nickdavies

Last day of the season. Bit like how everyone doesn’t actually do anything on the last day of work before Christmas. It’s done and sorted now kick a ball about for 90 minutes and focus on next year.

mikey3
    Free Member

footballers are often passing a lot further than any rugby pass and not just along the line either,i cant play either btw:)

si77

I attended a premier league fixture between 2 mid table teams

Man U Vs Palace ?

nealglover
    Free Member

You do realise that footballers (unlike rugby players) often don’t pass directly to another player, where they stand?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Because they are only quite good.
    The top 4 teams have the really good players.
    The top 2 spanish / german teams have the worlds best players.

Go and watch a top spanish team play..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmo9FchKvrE[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBbIHd1lmBo[/video]

dyls

I dont think it is as good as it has been say 10 years ago. Either we overpay for what we get or those on the continent get a better bargain.

Remember English teams dominating the champions league back in the 00’s (apart from Barcelona), but are nowhere near that level now.

angeldust
    Free Member

Sorry to be blunt Alanl, but this is sheer ignorance. I can only suggest you watch more (top level) games to get a better understanding. Do you think there is a group of untapped players/managers out there (despite the huge participation in the game) that could transform things? Ludicrously naive. The better players/managers that are out there play for the better teams (but even Barca have bad days sometimes, or are completely negated by the opposition).

I don’t mean to be overly mean, but the assumptions here are really very silly.

angeldust
    Free Member

Dyls, premiership players are disproportionally paid due to the huge interest in the league.

grum
    Free Member

Massive gulf between the quality of the top 6-7 and the rest of the league – 15 points separate Everton and the next team down.

RustySpanner

Every single bike race I watch, some idiot falls off.
    My granddaughter doesn’t fall off anymore and she’s 4.

Daft, isn’t it?
    🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

Every single bike race I watch, some idiot falls off.

My granddaughter doesn’t fall off anymore and she’s 4.

To be fair, your granddaughter probably takes a lot less drugs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

probably can if they did it sideways and backwards in a line like rugby

How many of rugby kicks are brilliant? they rarely kick and chase – why if its so easy to pass a ball forward to someone?

There are two types of bad passes

1. tried ,a good spot but not quite executed
    2. a shit pass

the later is ok the former is pretty rare tbh

They practice and practice until their set play pieces are pretty much perfect, then when they play, they get around 80% of the ball through their practice

because when you have the ball or they do there is a period to set the team and both teams line up in a known manner

Football is more dynamic and fluid and less capable of doing “practice” pieces

you cannot really get it from your box to theirs with a training ground routine like you can in rugby . Essentially every [ or a great many] of rugby plays are just set pieces. They are not in football.

mark88

I don’t get to watch many live games, but the pace of the passing and first touch always impresses me. Maybe you witnessed a little late season complacency.

Look at rugby. They practice and practice until their set play pieces are pretty much perfect, then when they play, they get around 80% of the ball through their practice.

Set piece is much more predictable and easily repeated. It drives me insane when a forward steps in at 9 but can’t make a simple pass, or they fail to execute a 2 on 1. As a whole, I’d say rugby is miles behind football from a skills point of view.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Premiership football – poor skill levels?’ is closed to new replies.