Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Premature indicating at Roundabouts. Is it a new phenomena?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

“My mum went through life firmly believing that those entering a roundabout had priority, and she wouldn’t be convinced otherwise.”

Was she norwegian ?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Debate all you like, indicators are there to indicate an action, I’ll continue to use them.

You lot can continue not to use them and by doing so face the wrath of those of us that do..

What GrahamS said. If thats what you actually do then fair play, just don’t be surprised when someone takes you for your word, probably an HGV that doesn’t want to stop his tacho if he doesn’t have to.

And bloody straightlining, dunno how many times I’ve had oblivious prats do that on roundabouts with two approach lanes.

GrahamS

“My mum went through life firmly believing that those entering a roundabout had priority, and she wouldn’t be convinced otherwise.”

My dear old Grandad was a proper gent who’d stop on roundabouts to let people in because he believed it was the polite thing to do. Like the driving equivalent of holding a door open for someone.

Just glad we never went past a motorway slip road with him driving 😯

DezB
    Free Member

,even monkeys can learn by mimicry.

Which confirms that monkeys are more intelligent than most humans when behind a steering wheel.

john_drummer
    Free Member

i was always taught that you don’t indicate to pass a parked vehicle unless you have to actively change lanes on a two (or more ) lane carriageway. After all, you’re not going to try go through it, are you?

flybywire
    Free Member

.. not roundabouts, but a general bugbear –

so you check the road is clear oncoming and overtake a parked car or large vehicle and you’re on the wrong side of the road when a vehicle without looking to the left turns out of a side road or drive into your path head-on. (idiots, but you have to consider this act of stupidity, has occurred when person doesn’t even indicate left!!). Then they look at you when you’ve slowed as though it’s your fault. READ the Highway code & drive not lazily/without due care!

johndoh
    Free Member

I get this lots at the roundabout near my house – people indicating left (the junction I am waiting at) then, as I pull out, they just carry straight on and take the second exit. If it was a fast roundabout I would wait until I was sure of the other driver’s intention but, as it is a really slow roundabout (a tram-smash of cars/school buses trying to get to the nearby school) I just pull out and let them work out the error they just made 👿

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah, wait I see your point now.

You are specifically talking about using the LEFT indicator, and it’s flashing, when the person doing that is actually on the Roundabout and NOT turning or exiting the Roundabout, but indeed carrying on AROUND the Roundabout to their chosen exit.

Correct?

If so I see your frustration and concede that that is quite annoying.

Me? Well I’m a driving God, clearly, but do use my indicators when they are needed.

Can I bring up a trend for cutting across junctions in front of a car that is going straight ahead ? Scenario:

Two lanes, both going forward. Junction (Cross Road) Right hand lane for either turning right or straight on. Left lane for turning left or straight on, yet the trend is for those in the left lane to Turn Right.. across the traffic thats going straight on.
    Quite annoying that, actually pretty annoying.

GrahamS

You are specifically talking about using the LEFT indicator, and it’s flashing, when the person doing that is actually on the Roundabout and NOT turning or exiting the Roundabout, but indeed carrying on AROUND the Roundabout to their chosen exit.

Correct?

Yes. Good morning and welcome to the thread 😀

the trend is for those in the left lane to Turn Right.. across the traffic thats going straight on.

Not seen that one round my way, but that would cause some quite serious tutting in my car I can tell you. I might even let out an exasperated sigh.

johndoh
    Free Member

Two lanes, both going forward. Junction (Cross Road) Right hand lane for either turning right or straight on. Left lane for turning left or straight on, yet the trend is for those in the left lane to Turn Right.. across the traffic thats going straight on.
    Quite annoying that, actually pretty annoying

In a similar vein, there is a road near me where people use the left lane (left turn only, clearly marked) as it approaches a roundabout to go straight on or turn right then squeeze in at the last minute just so they can jump a few cars. Recently had one guy try to undertake me as I went across the roundabout (in the r/h lane to go straight over) and ended up on the pavement because he was also going too quickly to slow down enough to pull back in behind me.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Try driving around Milton Keynes, a town whose road network is based on roundabouts but where very few drivers seem to understand the concept of indicating in a fashion that tells others of your intentions, or indeed indicating at all.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Aye that was the one, you had me worried!

Just glad we never went past a motorway slip road with him driving

Met plenty of those, nothing worse than playing the game of who can outbrake each other whilst trying to get onto a motorway (usually the overtaking lane is clear just as the icing on the cake).

giant_scum
    Free Member

Sherrifhall roundabout outside Edinburg is a pleasure to drive round now, lanes lit with LED cat’s eyes controlled in sync with the traffic lights when you have the right of way!

project
    Free Member

google maliciuos indicating or something similar sounding and youll find that its a common scam to provoke or engineer an accident, best to always wait till theyve gone past you, how do you prove the other car was indicating left and that you didnt pull out in front of them, also left turning vehicles doing the same.

and locally as i said months ago , car in front turns left, without indicating , with another car behind indicating left, first car then suddenly slams on just into junction, provoking a crash and rear end shunt by second car and possibly others.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

sometimes I use both indicators at once on a roundabout, just to keep other drivers on their toes, works a treat

GrahamS

Sherrifhall roundabout outside Edinburg is a pleasure to drive round now, lanes lit with LED cat’s eyes controlled in sync with the traffic lights when you have the right of way!

I’ve often wondered if they would eventually need to dumb down roundabouts to the point where they actually used different coloured tarmac for the different lanes and signs that say “Edinburgh: Follow Red Lane” or something.

Sounds like they’ve found a more technological solution.

matt_outandabout

Not seen that one round my way, but that would cause some quite serious tutting in my car I can tell you. I might even let out an exasperated sigh.

Mrs_oab had a Porsche in Sheffield that did the reverse.

Mrs_oab in middle, straight on lane.
    Porsche in right turn lane, floors it, in an attempt to turn left before oab_car.
    Fails.
    Cue Passat bumper and debris being dragged by Porsche and a little more than tutting from inside oab car.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ve often wondered if they would eventually need to dumb down roundabouts to the point where they actually used different coloured tarmac for the different lanes and signs that say “Edinburgh: Follow Red Lane” or something.

Jesus, people find it hard enough to use spirals without making it even more complicated!

butcher

google maliciuos indicating or something similar sounding and youll find that its a common scam to provoke or engineer an accident, best to always wait till theyve gone past you, how do you prove the other car was indicating left and that you didnt pull out in front of them, also left turning vehicles doing the same.

I’m familiar with the concept of crash for cash, but it never really occurred to me in this instance. Could be on to something there.

Then again, it’s no stupider than the many other stupid things I see on a daily basis, so who knows. I’m baffled by it all.

butcher

To be fair. Some of the big ones are not easy. Easy as pie if you use them on a daily basis. Not so much when you turn up for the first time on a dark and rainy day, when you can barely see the road markings, and there you are entering a roundabout amongst 4 of 5 lanes of cars.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Premature indicating at Roundabouts. Is it a new phenomena?’ is closed to new replies.