Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Premature indicating at Roundabouts. Is it a new phenomena?
  • butcher

I’ve only really noticed this in the past few months, but it’s now happening ALL of the time. I’m not talking about people NOT indicating, but people who indicate left 2 or 3 exits before they’re actually exiting.

Is this people who have just found the indicators on their BMW, or what? Has anyone else noticed??

atlaz
    Free Member

Come and live in Luxembourg. According to the local version of the highway code, indicating on roundabouts or even what is correct lane choice on roundabouts in the UK is absolutely not required. Every time you are approaching a roundabout here you have to assume someone else will crash into you.

GrahamS

People* do seem to adopt some weird driving habits after a while.

Given that (unlike 90% of the population) they have taken the trouble to actually indicate at a roundabout, they presumably think they are doing the right thing?

All the more reason we should have refresher tests every five years to remind folk what they are meant to be doing!

*(I include myself in this. I am no STW driving god and I’m sure I have my own weird habits or misconceptions).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Nope, pretty sure *any* indicating at roundabouts would alert me to a new behaviour.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shirley you’ve been tailing me 🙄

I think it’s a good thing, why you moaning ?

DezB
    Free Member

Never seen that. Only complete lack of indicators round here. Following a Volvo yesterday it was going soooo slowly but no indicating. What are they actually THINKING about??

bencooper
    Free Member

There’s definitely cultural differences in the UK too – I find Welsh roundabouts very difficult, as the convention in Wales seems to be not to indicate on roundabouts at all until you get to your exit, whereas in Scotland it’s usual to indicate that you’re carrying on on the roundabout.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve noticed a few times recently, some people while driving merrily round a roundabout suddenly jam the brakes on to let somone onto the roundabout!

matt_outandabout

Try Kier roundabout at dunblane – where 30% or so of drivers at the moment start in the left lane (with the shorter queue…) to go right round to the right turn/fourth exit. 🙄

granny_ring

You’ve seen someone indicating at a roundabout?
    You were lucky.

MrOvershoot

I’ve no problem with people that indicate at roundabouts, it’s the dozy ones that drive up to an empty roundabout & stop, then look to the right and notice it’s deserted and set off again!!!

Are they so stupid that looking to the right as they approach the roundabout and seeing its clear is beyond their driving ability?

houndlegs
    Free Member

Going off at a slight tangent, but has the rules changed for indicating to overtake parked cars?
    I drive regularly in a town with a test centre, so there’s always lots of learners and people sitting their driving test, and no one seems to do it any more.

GrahamS

How so? Incorrect indication is almost as useless as no indication.

For reference the Highway Code (Rule 186) says

Signals and position. When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    • signal left and approach in the left-hand lane[/*]
    • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
    signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
    you should not normally need to signal on approach
    • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

GrahamS

I’ve no problem with people that indicate at roundabouts, it’s the dozy ones that drive up to an empty roundabout & stop, then look to the right and notice it’s deserted and set off again!!!

Are they so stupid that looking to the right as they approach the roundabout and seeing its clear is beyond their driving ability?

I sometimes do that. I don’t usually come to a complete stop but I do slow down significantly even if the roundabout appears clear.

I find it can be pretty easy to miss seeing a cyclist/motorcyclist if you approach a roundabout at speed hoping not to stop. You are subconciously looking for car-shaped hazards and could easily be influenced by Saccadic Masking.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Fascinating link re saccadic masking Graham, cheers enjoyed reading and although do most of what os recommended there’s always room for a brushup (mental note to clean windscreen)

simmy
    Free Member

Dunno what you were taught regarding parked cars but we now teach to signal by road position rather than indicating for indicatings sake.

Procedure is Mirror, CONSIDER Signal, manovere.

The important bit is the consider. If for example you are passing a parked vehicle and there is a road on your offside with someone waiting to emerge out, it may be safer not to signal in case the emerging car thinks you are turning in and pulls out on you…..shouldn’t do but it happens.

Only time I’d ask a student to indicate right when passing a parked vehicle would be if we have had to go really close to the kerb to allow someone through and that position could look like we are parked to a following vehicle.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

To stay driving safely and responsibly nowadays, i think it’s almost mandatory to stop if there is any traffic on the island, just in case those not indicating will be passing by. Perhaps the junctions should have solid stop lines painted as standard. Just because of the sheer amount of people that can’t grasp the basics of how to use an extremely simple and logical system.

milky1980
    Free Member

See it all the time, does my head in. I’m the one scaring everyone by doing it right in a 7 tonne van 😀

Doesn’t help that I have a 6 monthly driving assessment with work so try and keep up good practices, usually score in the high 80% mark (some colleagues struggle to get 50% 😯 ) and commended for my lane discipline. Drop scores on low speed discipline usually – creeping in stop-start traffic is my usual one.
    Also doesn’t help that I’ve had 3 different driving instructors in the last 2 years (C1, C1+E and Class 2 tests) and they’ve all taught me different ways of using roundabouts!!

I sometimes think that some roundabouts have their own gravitational pull the way some cars – usually Volvo’s with pensioners – go round and round indicating left but never escaping 😆

globalti
    Free Member

[pedant]There may be several new phenomena but this could be a new phenomenon.[/pedant]

[smug] I only indicate when there are other road users around who need to know my intention; that means I don’t indicate at junctions if there are no other vehicles, cyclists or pedestrains around. I know that because I keep my eyes open and know who else is using the junction.[/smug]

wrightyson
    Free Member

Little Eaton roundabout near Derby. They’ve painted some new white lines on the ground that clearly through people into brain freeze moments. Had several near misses there now with **** just slicing across the lanes!

hammerite
    Free Member

How about mini roundabouts? They seem to have rendered some drivers incapable of making a decision. It ends up as some three way stand off waiting to see who dares to move first.

garage-dweller

Wrightyson see also M27 Junction 5. Why is it so hard for licenced drivers to follow the very clear signage and white dots? 🙁

hora
    Free Member

OP don’t ever enter Trafford park, Manchester. Ever. I’ve seen a fair few car/car interactions there.

growinglad
    Free Member

GrahamS has it.

It’s not difficult is it….as he says, if you don’t do it properly then it’s about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Poor driving is a pet hate of mine. It’s not difficult, it’s a wheel, some peddles and a stick….follow the rules and everything will got to plan.

Something which they don’t do here or Germany, is to indicate (in our case) left whilst going around the roundabout, big roundabouts not such a problem, but the smaller ones it’s a RPITA.

hels
    Free Member

My rules for roundabouts:

1. ignore all indications, they just mean the indicator light works (no it doesn’t, yes it does, not it doesn’t yes it does) don’t enter until you are clear.

2. don’t drive alongside people, or assume that some numpty isn’t alongside you, in the left lane, wanting to go all the way around. Take a good long look before you exit.

3. use your indicators correctly, even monkeys can learn by mimicry.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll continue to use my indicators as I see fit, just to let you lot know where I intend to make a manoeuvre next. Get angry and pissed off all you like, you must be used to driving in an area where indicators are an option on vehicles.

Weird.
    🙄

growinglad
    Free Member

I’ll continue to use my indicators as I see fit,

Surely they should be used in accordance with the highway code?

If we all do things as “we” see fit, it may mean bugger all to others.

These are the things that your learn during your driving lessons and should continue to practice every time you are behind the wheel.

mattsccm
    Free Member

One of the few things that winds me up. The highway code is correct. Personal preferences have no place. Flashing lights to mean come on through is another thing that will leave me waiting, especially when the flasher is giving away their right of way just for their convenience. Grrrr

ocrider

Something which they don’t do here or Germany, is to indicate (in our case) left whilst going around the roundabout, big roundabouts not such a problem, but the smaller ones it’s a RPITA.

It may be like the French highway code which only requires you to signal when you leave the roundabout*

*This may or may not actually happen in real life

squirrelking
    Free Member

Let me put it to you this way:

I’m waiting to enter a roundabout and spot you coming round. I see that you are indicating left and thus signalling your intent to exit the roundabout at the next exit (mine). I pull out based on that assumption and you promptly rear end me.

Q – who is the bigger fanny?

A – it doesn’t matter, we both have broken cars, I probably have whiplash and both could have avoided the collision by either following the highway code correctly or in my case assuming everyone else on the road is an idiot and allowing for such a scenario. Odds on though it’ll be you at fault and if there are witnesses then all the better.

As said the Highway Code isn’t guidelines, it’s rules. It’s not open to interpretation or application as the user “sees fit”, do yourself and everyone else a favour and start following them correctly, please.

growinglad
    Free Member

It may be like the French highway code which only requires you to signal when you leave the roundabout*

*This may or may not actually happen in real life

Probably is. Which is okay on the big one’s, but the smaller ones leave you waiting until the last minute wondering if the cars coming around are coming off, or going around.

There is a roundabout on my way back from work that I have to go around and off the final exit, which isn’t used that much. The lane coming on to it before I turn off is after a long stretch and people tend to come up to it pretty fast. I tried their method but the amount of people nearly T boning me was getting a bit scary….So now I go back to the “Correct” British method of indicating as I go around….still have some **** from time to time who end up having to slam the anchors on….perhaps they assumed I didn’t know left from right.

Although I spent 9 years driving in Athens so driving in Switzerland is a walk in the park compared.

bails

Flashing lights to mean come on through is another thing that will leave me waiting

Ugh, we have to cross a bus lane to get on/off our drive. People stop and ‘flash me out’ despite the motorbike/taxi/bus bearing down on us at 40mph, then look all confused when I don’t pull out.

andytherocketeer

Round here it’s indicating to drive around a car park to go up the up or down the down ramp. There’s only one place you can drive! No need to tell me you’re going there.
    And the prius driver even indicates again at the end of the ramp.

Not so many roundabouts round here. Bristol was bad for roundabout etiquette, and that was the people who had passed the test, not “maureen” and co. from that driving school programme that was on at the time (I think one or more were local – saw the car a few times).

nickc

Drive pretty much anywhere else in the world, and British traffic suddenly seems like a paragon of observance.

akira

I enjoy the people who use their indicators but unfortunately don’t know left from right. Indicate right, don’t slow down and take first exit. Roundabouts are guesswork here.

stumpy01

The ‘straightlining’ of roundabouts is my current bugbear. There are two in particular near me that are easily wide enough for two cars to proceed around, but the people on the left hand lane going straight on find it far too much effort to sufficiently turn the wheel and stay in lane so straightline the roundabout.
    The result being muggins here has to either pre-empt this laziness & hang back (which I suspect only promotes it’s occurrence) or slam the brakes on at the last minute as the gap closes.
    I tend to do the first option, coupled with a long toot on the horn to announce my presence (& annoyance).

Regards to indicating on roundabouts – I find the most amusing ones are where no indication is forthcoming at all until the person is actually leaving the roundabout and so far down the chosen direction that there can be no other choice – then and only then do they decide that letting you know they are going in the direction they are going in might be useful.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe you lot and driving threads eh. 😆 Anything to get the pressure valve blowing on a Monday morning.

Debate all you like, indicators are there to indicate an action, I’ll continue to use them.

You lot can continue not to use them and by doing so face the wrath of those of us that do..

Weirdos.
    😆

GrahamS

I think bikebouy is feeling a bit mischievous this morning. 🙂

But just in case I’ll bite anyway:

indicators are there to indicate an action, I’ll continue to use them.

If you do what the OP describes (i.e. indicating left all the way around a roundabout) then:

A) you are indicating exactly the opposite action to the one you are taking. That’s worse than not indicating at all.

B) the only thing you are telling people is that you are going to eventually leave the roundabout at some point. We know that already.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

My mum went through life firmly believing that those entering a roundabout had priority, and she wouldn’t be convinced otherwise.
    Scary!

simmy
    Free Member

I know what you are saying about flashing lights.

I have to cross 2 lanes of traffic to enter my street. A lot of the time, one lane is stopped but the other is bearing down at 30 mph +

The stationary traffic flash and wave you across, totally careless or unaware about the other lane then they look at you funny or give you a hand signal that’s not in the Highway Code when you don’t go.

Motorists who do just go on a flash normally end up in my gable end or on my doorstep…….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Premature indicating at Roundabouts. Is it a new phenomena?’ is closed to new replies.