Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Pregnant wife got knocked today in car park, advise please.
  • tang
    Free Member

Wife is fine thank goodness but came in in floods of tears and quite shaken up, heres the story as far as I can gather:

Wife was picking up a couple of things from local Tesco, walks back to car (which she had reversed into the space). The bay next to her is empty so she decides to put the one bag in the back via rear passenger door. As she has the rear passenger door open a white van reverses into the space, doesn’t see the open door and knocks it shut onto my wife. Thankfully he stops straight away and the door hits her bum not the 7 month bump on the front. She’s quite shocked to say the least. And says to the driver; ‘didn’t you see the door open? I’m pregnant, this could have been nasty’. He then just starts shouting at her telling her she shouldn’t be there opening side doors, no apology or concern for her at all. He’s a big guy, she’s little and pregnant, gets upset and drives home asap. She didn’t get any details, and to be fair, theres a few scrapes on the door so hard to see if he did any damage.

Is this worth pursuing? (tesco cctv?) Police? Or just be thankful she is OK and let her relax?

mega
    Free Member

what a winker – glad she is OK
    Police for sure

edit but perhaps don’t let her know you are reporting the driver so she doesn’t worry about it

yossarian
    Free Member

Or just be thankful she is OK and let her relax?

i’d go down this route given you are around 8 weeks away from d-day. Gloss over it, make her feel better, book her a spa day and let it all wash away.

druidh
    Free Member

To paraphrase – “A van drove into our car”.

Normally worth reporting I’d say. The defence that the driver wasn’t expecting a door to be open is hogwash. It really could have been a childs face.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Sounds like an accident with both parties in the wrong. I assume she wasn’t in a mother and child space with extra width.

ourmaninthenorth

Let her relax. If worried, go to the midwife and get checked out.

It’s a wonderful and scary time, but tools behaving like selfish idiots don’t help.

Stock STW response: quick get on your bike before the baby arrives and you are never allowed out again! 😉

cyclistm
    Free Member

Do whatever is best for you and your wife. Whilst the bloke is obviously an arse it might be best to just ignore for the sake of you and the baby.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

‘didn’t you see the door open? I’m pregnant, this could have been nasty

Pregnant or not, it wasn’t nasty so let it go. Not worth the stress or hassle.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve got a van. rear visibility is pants.

you have to be extra careful. shouting at people cos you didn’t look isn’t on. Bullying pregnant ladies is pretty low.

perhaps don’t let her know you are reporting the driver so she doesn’t worry about it

no offence, but 1 – i’m not sure police will be intersted unless the OPs wife makes the complaint. & 2. pregnant ladies are not to be messed with, don’t go behind her back.

wwaswas

IF this was Jeremy Kyle you’d hang round the car park and end up lamping some random bloke with a similar van.

In real life I’d probably just forget it and move on. You’re trying to protect your wife and that’s understandable but I can’t see much to gain and you have very few details to go on 🙁

enfht
    Free Member

Hope she’s ok now you’ve calmed her down. No damage done is most important here imo. Sounds like he was bloody rude and inconsiderate, maybe call Tesco but might not be worth risking upsetting her more. Unless she wants you to of course. Give her a nice cup of tea and make a fuss of her. Good luck in 2 months 😀

Cougar

Sounds like an accident with both parties in the wrong.

Struggling to see how “standing still in a car park” is in the wrong, TBH.

Does the store have CCTV, perchance?

scaled
    Free Member

You certainly don’t want you wife thinking that you’re not worried about it, I’d suggest absolutely marching down to Tesco and asking for the CCTV, Knight in shining armour and all that.

If they’ve got it on camera then pass it on to the police, the last thing you want is you Mrs thinking that you’re not protecting her/bump when they’re vulnerable.

No it’s not entirely rational, neither are pregnant women*

*in my experience

sweepy
    Free Member

If she’s old enough to get pregnant then she’s old enough to decide for herself.

I’d report it, just cos he’s a dick and needs to learn.

higgo
    Free Member

Have you asked your wife what she thinks?

Wookster

What a nob. But I’d leave it she’s ok, he’s a tool but you can’t show what happened by a witness etc. as ball achingly rubbish as it is I’d let it go and look after her and the bump mate.

mega
    Free Member

pregnant ladies are not to be messed with

she sounded pretty upset (understandable) to me rather than ready to kick ass

I’ve changed my mind on this anyway.

Assuming no serious damage to car, wife or bump, I’d let it slide, make a fuss of her, be thankful everything was Ok and get ready for the arrival of the little one.

If the car is damaged i’d ask police for the drivers insurance details etc and claim through their insurance but not try and press charges or anything

pictonroad

You’ll have enough to worry about soon, the best outcome is that she’s ok and you’ve already got that. You can’t gain from pursuing it. There will always be tools around and you’d be fighting a losing battle.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

What kind of a bloke shouts like that in that situation? I hope he gets piles, painful, bogroll ripping piles.
    Good luck to you both over the next few months !

tang
    Free Member

Ok seems he didn’t even stop. He only knew when my wife confronted him, at which point he started shouting at her. I think on balance we probably will have to let it go. There’s enough hard work in our lives atm plus baby has cleft lip/palate so a few challenges to go yet.

Taff
    Free Member

Was there damage to the car? I would probably be very angry and want a word with him as it wasn’t a very well handled situation from the van driver

sweepy
    Free Member

So now it sounds like he effectively ran over a pregnant woman, then subjected her to threatening and abusive behaviour, then (?)left the scene without exchanging details.
    It shouldn’t be down to you to deal with this, the police should be all over it.

loum
    Free Member

What do you want out of the situation?
    If the car’s going to cost a bit to repair then report to the police and tesco’s, the cctv will get the no plate and you contact his insurance. He drove into a parked car.

If the cost isn’t too significant, then:

… just be thankful she is OK and let her relax?
    i’d go down this route given you are around 8 weeks away from d-day. Gloss over it, make her feel better, book her a spa day and let it all wash away.

Drac

If you want to do something report it to the Police, they will deal with it.

There is no way your wife is to blame in the slightest, I do hope Craigxxl doesn’t drive.

totalshell

scrub tesco out of the equation straight away. its policy not to release or reveal the contents of cctv unless to a police officer or a specfic court order.. best be quick as well as older systems get scrubbed weekly

matther01
    Free Member

Driving without due care and attention…straight to Police and involve your wife, as she’ll need to give a statement.

Absolutely no excuse for his driving habits or out of order remarks and behaviour.

My wife’s due in 3 weeks and this is what I would do.

If it goes unpunished…it’s likely he could do it again, but with potentially far worse consequences.

Hope your missus is doing OK and gets over her experience soon.

singletrackmind

Leave it be .
    Keep reassuring your misses with ‘Its only a small scratch , I’m glad your still in one piece’ etc
    Make several cups of tea, and give her a nice foot massage.
    Not worth getting your pants stuck up your crack , just look at the big picture.
    The white van man is an @rse, he always will be an @rse . Yes, it could have been alot worse but it wasnt .
    Very surprised no -one stepped up though, society today ….

legend
    Free Member

craigxxl – Member

I assume you just climb in through the boot when you’re in a car park?

mrplow
    Free Member

Ask your wife what she wants first.

DezB
    Free Member

What we need is no rules. That wouldn’t have happened then 😆

tang
    Free Member

For sure, she is 50/50 for all the above reasons!

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Report it but don’t expect superman to show up with the idiots head on a spike.

There is likely little they can do, Tesco cctv as I know from personal experience seems to be made up entirely of calculators disguised as cameras and will probably not be able to read the guys numberplate, if they saw any of it at all.

Sorry she went through that though and report it none the less, you never know he might do it again in a few weeks and then he’ll get wrapped for both. Must count as driving dangerously or without due care?

nealglover
    Free Member

I think you will have to explain your logic there ?

How exactly was she in the wrong ?

I assume she wasn’t in a mother and child space with extra width.

I was assuming that she didn’t have a child with her, so why would she be ?

And why would that make any difference anyway ?

mrplow
    Free Member

If 50/50 and happy to leave it then probably do that unless you are going to be out of cash fixing the car and require a worthwhile claim. There are fannies all over the place and she met this one today. 🙁

killwillforchips
    Free Member

I cant believe folk suggesting its 50/50! is it heck!

Pop round the van drivers house and adjust his eye sight!
    😉

warton
    Free Member

she shouldn’t be there opening side doors

hmm, not sure who you get into your car in a carpark then…

guy sounds like a ****, hope your wife’s OK, my wife is 26 weeks pregnant at the moment, i’d be furious if it happened to her.

Coyote
    Free Member

craigxxl – Member

Sounds like an accident with both parties in the wrong. I assume she wasn’t in a mother and child space with extra width.

We have a new forum dickhead.

First priority is your wife. Make sure she is OK with everything. Provide comfort, understanding etc.Don’t make a big deal of it.

Independently get down the supermarket and ask if the CCTV works. Report to police. The guy is a prick who deserves a serious karma realignment.

ransos
    Free Member

I understand why you might not want to, but it would be better if you reported it. Idiots like this need the error of their ways explaining to them.

butcher

My advice would be to buy a machine gun on the internet, hunt him down, machine gun his face off, and smugly state ‘Oops, didn’t see you there’.

That should do it.

freeagent
    Free Member

I@d report it – can’t do any harm.

My pregnant wife was involved in an accident with a van (he smashed into the back of her while she was sat in a stationary quee of traffic – while he was engrossed in a phone conversation) 3 years ago.

Police were called (her car was shunted forward into the one in front) and the c**t in the van got done for driving without due care.

We’ll never know if the miscarriage she suffered a couple of weeks later was due to the crash…

Still, I’m sure Craigxxl will think it was all her fault.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Pregnant wife got knocked today in car park, advise please.’ is closed to new replies.