Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Prefer matching front and rear tyres?
  • I think I do, just the way it feels.
    Anyone else?

honourablegeorge

Matching brands at an absolute minimum.

lunge

On the road bike yes, on the MTB matching brands but not tyres.

andysredmini
    Free Member

The front and back do completely different jobs and require different properties. Why would you use the same for both?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Brands yes, models hardly ever.

Lots of front and rear specific tyres out there, so it’s not a kitten killer.

I stick to brands largely because when I had a Motorbike you HAD to match tyres (some mix and match was possible with different tyres within the same brand) or you’d knacker the handling/grip, or at least that’s what they said.

ads678

I’ve used Highrollers front and back but had a supertacky on the front. It was ok.

I generally put a grippier tyre on the front though. TBH brand continuity of tyres wouldn’t really matter as I have different wheels any way!!!! 😯

iainc

I ran Purgatory’s front and back for a year or so on my Soul and thought they were great. Recently swopped the front to a Butcher and won’t be going back to a Purg on front 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

No, specialized something on front and a quite worn high roller 2 on the rear at the moment. So long as they do what I want them to I’m not bothered what name they have on them.

amedias
    Free Member

MTB?

The front and back do completely different jobs and require different properties. Why would you use the same for both?

+1000 times this

There are a small number of tyres that work pretty well at either end, but even then I’m unlikely to run the same at both ends as I want them to behave differently. I prefer a grippier, (and often bigger tyre) at the front, and I want them to behave differently when leant and pushed too. The only exception being on trials bike where bigger and grippier at the back is always needed.

Road?

not bothered either way as long as they do what I want, I quite often run a slightly bigger and more supple tyre at the front for longer rides to improve comfort at the front end, slightly tougher and harder wearing at the back especially if carrying anything on the back.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I generally put a grippier tyre on the front though

Oh this is the only way for me, reasons:

Riding fast downhill, lose the rear, mucho fun, lose the front, crash, better to have the rear go first.

Climbing, saddle up, weight mostly over the rear tyre, less grip, less drag, it’s a rare day I spin up the rear climbing.

rocketman
    Free Member

Why would you use the same for both?

If they’re fat enough it makes no difference 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I used to be very OCD about matching tyres, until I once bought two Ardents, fitted them and attempted to steer around something. The end result in hindsight was amusing to say the least. Fitting a High Roller up front mostly resolved the issue.

Given that a front and back wheel have two different jobs to do, it makes sense that there are different tread patterns.

I can’t abide two entirely different brands on the same bike though. There’s no rational reason why, but seeing a bike with such an arrangement makes my brain itch.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Usually I do, sometimes I don’t.

I run Highroller 2s front and rear on my full sus bike and Conti Mtn Kings front and rear on the hardtail. I might swap the rears to a Mavic Roam but I think that’d spoil summer for everyone. I do like having a drifty rear tyre on with a very grippy front but I also like to put a tyre on and leave it til it’s part way goosed, then swap them front to back so I can get as much life out of them as I can.

scotroutes

Horses for courses. Usually grippier (possibly wider) front, easier rolling rear. Ardent/Crossmark as a 29er, Nobby Nic/FatBnimble for B+. Loving Bonty XR4s front and rear on my Marley though.

Fatbike is a permutation of Nates and Husker Dus depending on snow conditions, but usually grippier front again.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Matching tyres, no, not really, although I do tend to run Minion DHF’s F&R most of the time.

Absolutely matching brands – sends my OCD into orbit to see different brands on the same bike.

faustus

For proper mtbing, almost never. Brand matching should only be a coincidence, it’s all about each tyre being right and doing what you need it to do – function is first priority all day long. I almost always need the front to do different things to the rear for best performance.

legend
    Free Member

andysredmini – Member

They both do an awful lot of steering and braking, the only extra thing a rear does is give traction under power.

I’ve switched about loads of times over the years, generally end up remembering that I want to the rear to have loads of cornering grip too. Maybe it from riding nowt but DH for years, but it’s generally how i end up going. Currently on 2 Butchers or 2 Storms if the weather’s grim. Had a Purgatory and an Advantage on the back, felt compromised when descending. Before all of that I would run 2 Minion DHFs.

If I was looking for a more XC setup, then I’d probably shove something faster on the back. As it is, I’ll keep all the grip.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Depends on the tyre really. Quite like Xking front and rear on hardtail, although have thought about a race king or thunder burt on the rear for even more speed. Quite like having a little extra traction in mud or loose climbs though.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Running Minion DHF front and back at the moment.
    If I want less rolling resistance I’ll swap for a DHR on the back.
    When it gets a bit muddy / loose I’ll stick a shorty on the front.

milky1980
    Free Member

Try and stick to the same brand if I can but it’s not really necessary. Does look really odd with different tyre logos, especially if they line up with the valve differently 😉

JackHammer

Got Ardents front and back on my hardtail (SHOCK HORROR!), and HR2s on my full sus. Seems fine to me.

zippykona

I’ve never understood matching front and rear. They do very different jobs. Steery and tractiony.

legend
    Free Member

Only on the way up. On the way down they both brake and steer.

Depends on your priorities really

medoramas
    Free Member

In the winter – yes. Beaver front and rear.

ajf
    Free Member

matching tyres but different width. 2.25 up front and 2.1 on the back. Seems to work for me and stops my OCD twitching

faustus

On the way down one does more steering and braking than the other. That’s the priorities.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Always matching brands, but not usually tyres.

The big bike is running a DHF and DHRII combo at the mo and the little bike runs the same in the winter but is currently running a Minion SS on the rear at the mo.

Running Minion DHF front and back at the moment.
    If I want less rolling resistance I’ll swap for a DHR on the back.
    When it gets a bit muddy / loose I’ll stick a shorty on the front.

I’ve always found a pair of DHF’s to be super quick.

jimmy

R – Smoke
    F – Dart

/End

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

As long as they match the frame you are okay

By ‘feeling’ I mean the feedback from the trail (not the ocd stuff). More even, consistent traction front and rear (good or bad), better balanced feel, I’m less consious of front vs rear.

gonzy
    Free Member

depends…i do and i dont
    my road bike has matching tyres
    my mtb has 2 pairs of wheels
    one pair use a schwalbe muddy mary up front and a hans dampf
    the other pair used to have a pair of maxxis ignitors but i got rid of them and i was using a pair of panaracer fire fr (the tread pattern require the rear to be run in the opposite direction f the the front) but while i was doing a tubeless conversion on them last night the rear blew off the rim spectacularly and destroyed the kevlar bead…so now i’m running a specialized butcher up front and a continental baron at the back

birdage

Ardent 2.4 29er on 45mm rim front and Nobby Nic 2.3 27.5 on 35mm rim rear. Stick that in your OCD pipe………

legend
    Free Member

i’m running a specialized butcher up front and a continental baron at the back

*reported*

joshvegas
    Free Member

Bike one on one and Schwalb
    Bike two geax and maxxis
    Bike three on one and schwalbe

Dyno hubbed wheel that pits itself about a bit… geax

Road bikes jumpbike and everything else match.

Northwind

They do a different job so I generally use different tyres or at least versions.

Unfussed about branding but tbh there’s only really a couple of brands I like/trust, so they do tend to be the same.

stevied
    Free Member

Same brand, different tyres for me. Grippier front, faster rear.

kerley
    Free Member

Same brand, different tyres for me. Grippier front, faster rear.

Succinctly put.

sparkov
    Free Member

I always put the part worn from the front on the rear when the rear wears out. It means the front always has the newer, more grippy tyre, and the rear always has reduced tread and is slightly faster.

tomhoward

Don’t care, as long as the logos are aligned with the valves. And they are the same brand. Ideally maxxis off road, conti gp4000s on road.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Depends on season, bike and application.

I run Spesh Storm Controls or Maxxis Beavers through the winter, but currently have Spesh Slaughter and Butcher on the suss bike.

If I were going on an uplift holiday I’d probably go for two front tyres, purely for the extra brake grip.

Similarly if I were XC racing in the dry I’d go as low-profile as possible.

But yeah, mixing brands makes me twitch.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Prefer matching front and rear tyres?’ is closed to new replies.