Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pre-Work ride that's not a commute?
  • alexonabike

I seem to be riding less and less, especially during the week, mainly down to motivation. My new job is rubbish and I really struggle to get out of bed every morning. I loved my old job, one reason being I got to ride to work (living and working in rural north wales) and the way that made me buzz for the rest of the day.

I'm thinking of doing some rides pre-work. I work 9-5 so its perfectly feasible. Im thinking a short 5-7km 30-45mins blast to clear my head, mixed road and bridleway loop out of my front door.

Now how do I motivate myself to get up and do it? Anyone else have a regular pre-work ride that isn't a commute? How do you find it?

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

It's been a bit good / a bit rubbish year for me so far and I reckon a big part of staying sane'ish has been down to working out convoluted, extended commutes that even involve going in the opposite direction to work so I can ride some bumpy off road or hurty on road hills before and after work.
    Come the summer, I'll be up and out by 6:00am twice a week to get some even longer rides in. It's like having a micro weekend at the start and end of each working day.
    The ride in keeps me glowing until 11;00am and the ride home gets me giddy from 3:00pm. Just the durge in the middle to get through. Coffee and chocolate helps 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Do it – it's great. My commute's too long for regular riding, and I need the car with me at work anyway, so the alarm goes at 05.55 and I've got kit ready to get into as I get out of bed. I think that's one of the secrets. Lights charged and attached, shoes, helmet, gloves – all ready and a bit regimented – it's a little like being Fireman Sam..! What it means though is that I'm out the door by 5 past 6, at the latest.

I do 30 minute or so rides before work – a mix of road, sneaky and proper tracks – no real hardcore off road stuff, but a nice variety with a series of routes to choose from. It's great nipping through the town centre when there's hardly a soul about, I love the lighter mornings where I'm not really needing the lights and even when the weather's inclement there's a huge smug satisfaction of having a free workout and fresh air in time that has very little impact on family or work.

I used to commute by bike and loved that, and really wish I could join the few hardy souls I see from my car, but the short blasts, 3 – 4 times a week keep me sane. I'm back by half past six / quarter to seven, with little "real" time lost. Shower, brekkie and off to work.

It's now so ingrained that on busy weekends I'll do the same – maybe an hour or a bit longer, but back before breakfast and the day ahead (and maybe another little jaunt later in the day 😀 )

Starrman28
    Free Member

I did it last year, I used to commute by bike but now my journey is too long. I'm lucky that my hours are flexible to some degree so I get into work for 7/7:30 hit the road for an hour and at my desk by 9, we have a shower at work:). As barca2 say's you'll be glowing all morning. I'm not so far from Wales so i've even got up real early mid summer and gone to Cwmcarn for a lap..or two. Once you get the your kit (sh1t)sorted it works really well. Now the weather is about to get better I'll start it again soon. Beats the Turbo…:)

RichPenny
    Free Member

I've always found it to be a habit thing, so you need to be in a pattern of getting up an hour earlier. Having all your stuff ready first does help too as suggested. I'm just doing 10 miles commuting at the moment but will be mixing it up soon with an extra hour or so here and there. If that's what time you've got, road would probably be easier…

Another thing I've done in the past is to put the bike in the car then go for a spin after work. The knowledge that the bike is there can embarrass you into riding when you don't feel like it. And obviously after 30 seconds, you remember how much fun the world can be…

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

No where off road within range for a early ride, but I leave earlier than I need to to get in in the morning so I can have a bit of a long road, and have a bit of a play with the few fun bits there are on the way 😛
    Its def worth it!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just got to do it.

I used to get 2hr rides in before a flexi time start. Really staved off SAD or general feelng down.

No such luck (or showers) in current job 🙁

muggomagic

i've done 1 or 2 per week for the last 3-4 weeks. do 10-15 miles depending on how early i get up. then home for a quick shower and ride to work (i only live half a mile from work).

Andituk
    Free Member

Since the begining of this month, I've been getting up an hour earlier and either going on the exercise bike in the garage, or out for a ride for half an hour or so. It was tough the first week or so getting out of the habit of sleeping in late, but now I just set the alarm same as always and get up in the morning and get on with it.

The biggest motivation for me is that I already notice the difference when I go out for a proper ride. I've always only done 1 ride a week, and not particularly pushed hard then, so to change to riding most days has meant a leap forward in my fitness. I'm riding where before I was pushing, and getting real pleasure out of climbs now, rather than just struggling my way up in order to ride back down.

There's nothing at all hardly to ride around here, so I can only really do a quick loop on tarmac cycle lanes and road, but every moment your heart rate is up and you're sweating is a benefit. I'm timing myself too now, and noticing the times start to fall. Hopefully soon I'll be able to stretch the rides out a few miles and make it a bit more interesting.

So get out and do it. I also feel far more awake at work, so its win all round really.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pre-Work ride that's not a commute?’ is closed to new replies.