Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • pre ride prep (body not kit)
  • white101

For as long as I can remember the first 20mins of any ride I have done I have been blowing like thomas the tank engine, no matter how regular I am riding no matter how fit I feel, 20 mins and I am out of breath going downhill/uphill/flat.
    I stretch my legs and arms a bit before I get in the saddle(more so the back cos its ropey at best) but my legs have nothing in them and I am struggling from the off, then all of a sudden we are in business and its no problem, come the end of the ride I’m looking for more (sometimes).

Is it just the way things are or can I change this? I get annoyed when after a couple of hundred yards I’m looking back towards the car or home thinking its no good I’m shagged out already. Dont get me wrong I dont give in I keep going but its bloody annoying cos I think I’m fit-ish.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

are you in your late 30’s/early 40’s? if so its your age……same thing has happened to me!

I used to be out of the blocks like a whippet but now it takes the 10-20 mins to get going, its a bummer.

Simon

Have a 20 minute warm up ride before your ride 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Takes me a good half-hour to get going these days (54) but then I can keep it up all day 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have a 20 minute warm up ride before your ride

This +1

druidh
    Free Member

Or just ride slowly for the first 20 minutes…..

white101

41 October just gone, that could explain a bit I guess 🙁

Druidh, I do ride slowly for the first 20 thats the prob! or maybe its not, the slow bit isnt the issue its the fact I feel like s**t thats bugging me.

Guess I’ll just have to live with it after all I only have myself to please when I’m on the bike so if I can get over it in 20 mins wheres the prob?

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m 52 and consider the first 40 minutes as a warm up.
    This time of year you have to face the cold, poor ground conditions and put up with the restrictions of winter clothing.

badbob
    Free Member

i found stretching my calf and hamstrings for 5 min, helps a lot? just need to remember to do it !

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

A token stretch before I go out and the first 20 miles (road) are taken nice and easy. If I am out on the bouncy bike then I just take it easy for the first half hour or so.

Rubber-Duck

I find a decent dump helps tremendously…………..and I am 44.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘pre ride prep (body not kit)’ is closed to new replies.